• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appleton/Oshkosh/Green Bay, Wisconsin

ektaylor

Reaction score
I recently accepted a job offer in Appleton, Wisconsin. Does anyone know much about this area? I'll be there from mid-March to June (possibly longer). For someone who has lived and worked on the west coast his entire life without ever stepping foot in the Midwest, what should I expect?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ektaylor
I recently accepted a job offer in Appleton, Wisconsin. Does anyone know much about this area? I'll be there from mid-March to June (possibly longer). For someone who has lived and worked on the west coast his entire life without ever stepping foot in the Midwest, what should I expect?

Having lived in the midwest for a short time, expect:

1. Friendly people.
2. Boring towns

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appleton, or A-town is a great little community, but it's just that, a little community. Because the area (Fox River Valley) is home to some of WI largest companies, food and shopping is a little better than average for a small city.

So many different things, hmmm.

1. The radio stations are awful unless you like country, classic rock or gospel. Bring your ipod or get satellite radio

2. You are about 1.5 hr drive to Milwaukee, a 3 hr drive to Chicago, 5 hours to MPLS if you need to go have a city experience. I would just go straight to Chicago for shopping, but MKE is under rated for going out.

3. Fantastic natural beauty up there with many state parks and water recreation. If you like to hike or go on the water, you should be able to fill a few weekends

4. The Lambeau Field Atrium and Green Bay packer hall of fame are open year round. Visit the Mecca of pro football while you are there

5. It will most likely be cold for you and then rainy. March often sees snow and weather will start to get great in June when you are getting ready to leave. You will get the bonus of seeing actual lightning and thunderstorms though

More as I think of it

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Houdini Museum!

(also Nat'l Railroad Museum in Green Bay)

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an airshow in Oshkosh.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't plan on being there that long I wouldn't worry to much about finding stuff to do. Go to HS football games and hang out with the locals. People are super friendly in the Midwest.

ektaylor

Reaction score
People are either really friendly or think I'm some kind of California gay.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Could be both.

I'm getting a Midwest haircut. MJK, can you commission a tactful yet universal wardrobe for the Midwesterner with a penchant for reading?

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Go to Green Bay and visit the Packers' gift shop: plenty of chesehead hats and jerseys. You'll blend right in

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
^^^ Go to Green Bay and visit the Packers' gift shop: plenty of chesehead hats and jerseys. You'll blend right in
They seem to accept me in my Midwest outfit. I don't mean to repeat the obvious, but it's composed almost entirely of MJK -- from the coat, to the shirt, to the underwear, to the beanie. The only deviation is the RRL jeans, Gokey boots, and the Scottish made cashmere scarf. Where are you, Michael?
inlove.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Isn't everyone in small-town Wisconsin 300 pounds?

S. Able

Reaction score
There are a lot of super nice folks in the fox valley. It is also crazy cheap.
If the WI bar scene isn't to your liking (believe me, it is a big part of Wisconsin culture for a lot of adults), I would look into the concert series at Lawrence University. They have a very respectible conservatory of music with a good symphony. They also attract some very good national classical and jazz artists. Unfortunately, their best Jazz series is in the fall. Appleton also has a Single A minor league baseball team called the Timber Rattlers.

The Apollon is by far the best restaurant in Appleton. It is a couple of blocks north of College Ave. by the Paper Valley Hotel. If the weather gets nice, head to Door County. Appleton and Neenah are considered much nicer than GB and Oshkosh.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
ya the bar scene is huge... remember your first DUI is a misdemeanor (to give you an idea of the culture). Don't ask people what they have in their garage or their hobbies, the combination of brutal winters, justification of being alcoholics around the house, and isolation of culture has breed some really weird people.

I wouldn't worry much about looks, yes obesity is a huge problem and it seems very few people own a suit. Just wear what you normally wear and enjoy standing out.

definitely make it down to milwaukee for some weekend trips, they have huge festivals every weekend that are a blast (and usually free, beer sales alone cover any operating costs). And if you want some real culture, chicago is only another hour away (and dont discount amtrak for making the trip down).

[sorry if I rub people the wrong way, I lived there for 7 years, love the state and the people but its definitely an acquired taste]

ektaylor

Reaction score
your first DUI is a misdemeanor

This was actually shocking to me when I first learned of it. I have never heard a DUI referred to so casually in conversation. It's almost like talking about a speeding ticket: it's never the fault of the driver, it's just some damn cop trying to fill his ticket quota.

It's interesting, though. The business/political community here seems to value the overlooked small things we've forgotten about on the coasts (i.e., a firm handshake, holding the door open, assertive eye contact, reading the sports page, etc). Now, I just need to figure out how to wear well-fitting clothing without be heckled for wearing, "skinny pants".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads