• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your cheap must-do's when you go to New York?

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's a good way to spend a full Sunday in Manhattan, i still have zero plan for what to do once i arrive and dump off my bags at 8-9am

scourage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
Any decent pizza by the slice in town?
facepalm.gif

is this a real question? in NY? pretty much all the pizza is good.

I really don't think you need to plan cheap food in new york. There are so many places in the right neighborhoods, just wander and do not even consider taking a map out until you need to go home. you find things without trying.

someone asked why gray's papaya is a big deal. -it's really cheap and the hot dogs are great, much better choice than street vendors.

for drinking - go to LES (other neighborhoods too) before 8 pm. definitely take advantage of happy hour. Be friendly and you'll make friends if only until one of you leaves.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ryan9
John's Pizza-- 64th between 1st & York is the best pizza in town, hands down. It's quiet and not very expensive.
If you really want real pizza that is actually great (not your usual by the slice crap) go to Keste or San Matteo on 90 & 2nd if you dont want to wait.
Originally Posted by twdawson
forget that shake shack bs---go to J.G. Melon; really great burger, & it's relatively inexpensive
Eh...JG Melon isnt anything special, and they act like they're doing you a favor by giving you a thimble of beer for $5.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
what's a good way to spend a full Sunday in Manhattan, i still have zero plan for what to do once i arrive and dump off my bags at 8-9am

drop ur bags. get comfortable in your room....head out at about 10:30ish..and just wander. head down to chinatown. walk around central park. come into brooklyn. just do whatever to get ur bearings...and don't forget a 7 day metrocard for $29 which will allow unlimited bus/subway rides:
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited

twdawson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Eh...JG Melon isnt anything special, and they act like they're doing you a favor by giving you a thimble of beer for $5.
ha fair enough; i guess it says something about me if i find comfort in that indifference...

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5

I like their bloody bull a lot. It is a bloody Mary made with beef stock which gives it a certain richness.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
drop ur bags. get comfortable in your room....head out at about 10:30ish..and just wander. head down to chinatown. walk around central park. come into brooklyn. just do whatever to get ur bearings...and don't forget a 7 day metrocard for $29 which will allow unlimited bus/subway rides:
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited

+1. Sunday for most New Yorkers (the cool people I know at least) is a hang out and relax day that starts late. Brunch is popular though I don't like brunch at most places. Overrated. I'd personally do a bit of Chinatown, head north a tad to SoHo and stroll, and then head a little north yet again to 20th between 5th and Broadway and grab a mocha/hot chocolate at some place whose name I cannot remember. It's on the north side pretty much in the middle of the Avenues. Lunch at Union Square Cafe is a good option too.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
I like their bloody bull a lot. It is a bloody Mary made with beef stock which gives it a certain richness.
Ever had a Bull Shot? Beef stock and vodka. My favorite cheesecake was at Arqua on Church St. They have closed but may still serve it at their more casual place across the street from old location. The new place is Petrarca on White St. and I see the Ricotta Cheescake is on the menu. Taim Mediterranean on Waverly Place. Good food, inexpensive. Think they have 3 or 4 stools if you want to eat there.

Shannighan

Reaction score
Skip Century 21. It's crowded, dirty, and the clothes are garbage. They also don't let you bring drinks in, which is annoying.

In terms of clothing shopping, I would check out TopMan at Broadway and Broom. Decent stuff, great fits; although you have to look at the tag to see what's in it. They use a lot of synthetics in their cheaper stuff ($50 dress pants for example are 100% synthetic most of the time). And while you're in the area check out Opening Ceremony which is on Howard.

Also check out Strand Books- 12th & Broadway

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shannighan
Skip Century 21. It's crowded, dirty, and the clothes are garbage. They also don't let you bring drinks in, which is annoying.

In terms of clothing shopping, I would check out TopMan at Broadway and Broom. Decent stuff, great fits; although you have to look at the tag to see what's in it. They use a lot of synthetics in their cheaper stuff ($50 dress pants for example are 100% synthetic most of the time). And while you're in the area check out Opening Ceremony which is on Howard.

Also check out Strand Books- 12th & Broadway

do you expect to have dinner in a dept store? and then when people spill **** on the floor and on clothing, are they gonna pay for the items? EAT AND DRINK b4 you go..

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scourage
facepalm.gif

is this a real question? in NY? pretty much all the pizza is good.

Most of the pizza is ****. The best pizza can be found there though.

For Neapolitan:
Co and Keste are two newer places with great pies. Grimaldi's and Sally's (the original Harlem one) are two older institutions that still serve decent pizza. I am also partial to Luzzo's truffle-paste margherita. It is a shame the grail pizza place closed - Una Pizza Napoletana.

For a New York pie:
Di Fara's. A trek and a wait, but great.

Good blog:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/

Otherwise, don't miss out on the High Line park.

scourage

Reaction score
nonsense. almost all the pizza in new york is good. yes there are special places that use better ingredients and are really exceptional but the basic slice of cheese sets the standard.
it's not fine dining, but local, cheap, dirty pizzerias are a new york classic for good reason.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
Most of the pizza is ****. The best pizza can be found there though.

For Neapolitan:
Co and Keste are two newer places with great pies. Grimaldi's and Sally's (the original Harlem one) are two older institutions that still serve decent pizza. I am also partial to Luzzo's truffle-paste margherita. It is a shame the grail pizza place closed - Una Pizza Napoletana.

For a New York pie:
Di Fara's. A trek and a wait, but great.

Good blog:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/

Otherwise, don't miss out on the High Line park.

grimaldi's is an ok tourist spot where you have to wait for a 1/2 hr for a slick. BS!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads