• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I broke up with my gf (general breakup thread)

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Told crazy girl Ill see her once every couple of weeks to check on her. I'm leaving in 6 months so its alright and I'll just phase out how often I see her until I leave for uni. I still care about her and I really don't want her to hurt herself or kill herself so I think this is a good compromise. She's trying to get a job now too so hopefully she will have stabalised by the time I leave for uni.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
"then I guess you'll see this tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed your Saturday."

This.
And, I'd go to the show without her if I were you. Don't punish yourself.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
This.
And, I'd go to the show without her if I were you. Don't punish yourself.

Oh of course, when I told her yesterday we would still go, I knew that I would cancel on her anyway. I'm playing games, yes, but **** that.

I'm going out tonight, gonna have a good time, did that last night as well. Living my life.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Just take a step back buddy. Seriously. A few days with no contact whatsoever can only be for the best.

+1

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MarkI, stop having plans and strategies for this girl. Don't try to figure out how to best get one up on her. Stop playing games. Be mature about it. Just tell her it's too difficult to talk to her right now and that you need your space. Ask her to respect that and then respect it your damn self.

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been home on a saturday in 6 years! So depressed right now. I think i'm gonna take a walk in soho and buy myself something nice.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MarkI
Oh of course, when I told her yesterday we would still go, I knew that I would cancel on her anyway. I'm playing games, yes, but **** that.

I'm going out tonight, gonna have a good time, did that last night as well. Living my life.

You're just being antagonistic with the games dude. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish, but that sort of thing is just going to drive her away feeling bitter about what an ass you were.

Not picking up the phone when she called was supposed to ensure that she really takes the time to think about whether life without you was a good choice. Telling her yes and then bailing like that lets her know that she made the right choice when she asked for a break. You could have told her that you need some space when you went to cancel. If you weren't going to go in the first place, you could have told her you "no" and that you needed some time and space to figure out what to do about the whole situation.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats true, but she hasnt officially called it quits either, and she ******* wont.

This really sucks.

I guess the only thing I can do is sit tight.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Then YOU call it quits. Contrary to what George Costanza had us believing, a breakup doesn't need both parties to turn their keys to be official.

Stop stringing each other along, break off contact for a bit, and go find some new hobbies. It's not easy, but it is that simple at the root of the issue.

This isn't a game of Stretego. Right now, all of your analyzing and strategy building is only doing two things:

1) driving you crazy
2) setting up a scenario that makes you the asshole ex boyfriend a girl tells her next boyfriend about

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Agreed. Stop trying to win the breakup and start trying to get your **** together. You're going to checkmate the **** out of yourself.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats true, but she hasnt officially called it quits either, and she ******* wont.

This really sucks.

I guess the only thing I can do is sit tight.

Do you know what you want to happen with the relationship?

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Then YOU call it quits. Contrary to what George Costanza had us believing, a breakup doesn't need both parties to turn their keys to be official.

Stop stringing each other along, break off contact for a bit, and go find some new hobbies. It's not easy, but it is that simple at the root of the issue.

This isn't a game of Stretego. Right now, all of your analyzing and strategy building is only doing two things:

1) driving you crazy
2) setting up a scenario that makes you the asshole ex boyfriend a girl tells her next boyfriend about

Well thats exactly what i'm going to do now, just breaking off contact for now.

Originally Posted by Synthese
Agreed. Stop trying to win the breakup and start trying to get your **** together. You're going to checkmate the **** out of yourself.

I am trying to get my **** together, its a lot easier said than ******* done. I know it sounds completely bitchlike, but I feel lonely, I miss her, I want to continue to experience new things with her, dont really want to go on by myself. I know I HAVE too, but I dont want too.

Originally Posted by HgaleK
Do you know what you want to happen with the relationship?

Yes, I would like for us to get back together, with all of our issues resolved, which is what I told her would happen, and she said she trusts me, but continues to say she doesn't know if she can be in a relationship right now.

kungapa

Reaction score
Well thats exactly what i'm going to do now, just breaking off contact for now.

Didn't you say that before but fail? This time, be sure to keep it at least a month. You might find at the end of the month that you don't actually have any desire to contact her again.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All you guys who are advocating for breaking off contact, do you mean to simply ignore her if she texts/calls?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would like for us to get back together, with all of our issues resolved, which is what I told her would happen, and she said she trusts me, but continues to say she doesn't know if she can be in a relationship right now.
When did yall have the conversation? How did the stunt you pulled with the show advance your cause? You've mirrored almost everything wrong I did with my last breakup, which happened in fairly similar circumstances. It's not a good idea. It's a miserable experience that is self perpetuated. You don't have to say it's over, it doesn't have to be over, there doesn't have to be closure at this point. Right not just don't pick up the ******* phone. Don't text, don't call, don't drink enough that you'll be tempted to do either. If you do contact her again, I can give you a play by play of the next 7-20 days. It'll be dead on too. Edit: just to be clear it won't be pleasant either

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads