• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for a new watch

IBJanky

Reaction score
Looking to buy a Steinhart GMT Ocean-1 watch.

Either in black bezel:

steinhart-Ocean_GMT_black_front_back.jpg

or the Pepsi blue/red bezel:

steinhart-Ocean-GMT-blue-red-1.jpg

What do you guys think of this watch? Which is better looking? Black or pepsi bezel? I'm kinda partial to the black bezel, just looks more of a classic, sleek design.

myke

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I think you want a Rolex and should save up for a real one.

There's always one with a smart ass comment like this
laugh.gif

No thanks, I don't feel like spending that kind of money on a watch right now.

myke

IBJanky

Reaction score
Btw, this new watch will just be a beater watch I can wear to work and take on trips around the world.

In that case, if it ever gets lost or stolen, I won't be too bummed out.

myke

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
There's always one with a smart ass comment like this
laugh.gif

No thanks, I don't feel like spending that kind of money on a watch right now.

myke

I'm all for having a beater watch like that, but all Steinharts are just ****** knockoffs of much more expensive watches, which just make the wearer look like a douche. If you want to drop a few hundred on a good beater, go for a Seiko or Hamilton.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I'm all for having a beater watch like that, but all Steinharts are just ****** knockoffs of much more expensive watches, which just make the wearer look like a douche. If you want to drop a few hundred on a good beater, go for a Seiko or Hamilton.

This. I personally find "homage" watches to be very tacky, almost as bad as replicas. But this is just me.

gwolf

Reaction score
i have one of the last versions of the gmt1 with "real" gmt. while i don't like those 2 steinharts in particular i'm going to get a ocean vintage gmt when they restock it on their website.

sov_gmt_1.jpg

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw, this new watch will just be a beater watch I can wear to work and take on trips around the world.

In that case, if it ever gets lost or stolen, I won't be too bummed out.

myke

don't care for it Myke, and you know why.

I'd say you wear the panerai homage as your beater.

danskidoo

Reaction score
I bought a steinhart ocean 1 blue on blue about 5 years ago. It's a great watch and i still have it. For me though i got tired of wearing something that looked like every other watch. I ended up getting a Sinn U2 and love it. Stienhart is now called Debaurfre and they have some other models that look more unique. For cheap GMT i would look at Invicta watches. Omega makes a nice GMT but it's a little more $.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend a Seiko, much more durable. In fact, I'm wearing a Pepsi blue Seiko right now. Easily one of my favorites. Plus, at least one of the James Bonds wore one.
wink.gif
Seiko.png

swoll50

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
don't care for it Myke, and you know why.

I'd say you wear the panerai homage as your beater.

quad! :hug:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy a Steinhart GMT Ocean-1 watch.

Either in black bezel:

steinhart-Ocean_GMT_black_front_back.jpg

or the Pepsi blue/red bezel:

steinhart-Ocean-GMT-blue-red-1.jpg

What do you guys think of this watch? Which is better looking? Black or pepsi bezel? I'm kinda partial to the black bezel, just looks more of a classic, sleek design.

myke

Why not try Christopher Ward watches? They both the above combos you've listed as possibilities. I own their Trident Automatic with black bezel and have not taken it off since I bought it last November. Excellent watch for the price, highly recommended.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danskidoo
I bought a steinhart ocean 1 blue on blue about 5 years ago. It's a great watch and i still have it. For me though i got tired of wearing something that looked like every other watch. I ended up getting a Sinn U2 and love it. Stienhart is now called Debaurfre and they have some other models that look more unique. For cheap GMT i would look at Invicta watches. Omega makes a nice GMT but it's a little more $.

No, Debaufre and Steinhart both exist as separate entities.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads