• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me stock my new bar

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Yeah I agree on = smaller bottle of those vermouth, and remember to put them in the refrigerator when you're done. Now I'm kinda craving for a Rusty Nail after looking at that Drambuie. http://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourme...sr=1-1-catcorr ^... just lovely, nice touch for that special Manhattan. Speaking of which, I really like Canadian whisky for my Manhattan. I'm normally not a fan of Crown Royal. But I use the CR Special reserve..cost around $30-35ish. If I'm feeling like a baller, Cask No 16 is pretty nice as well. I think it's overpriced, but I seen it on sale quite often around here. You should also check out Gosling rum. It's my to go mixing dark rum and awesome value.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
What do you use the Gran Marinier for or in place of? How about cherries. I know you're fanatical about them. Any specific ones I should get?
Grand Marnier -- I just drink it neat. It's orange cognac, basically. A number of people use it in Sidecars, which I think is odd, as the Sidecar already has coganc Cherries: Fanatical, hah, it's true, or at least I am fanatical that the NOT be those horrible scarlet 'confections' they serve these days. I've never had the Luxardo, but I've heard them praised everywhere, so I'm sure they are great (i Must try some myself, actually). I use Amarena Fabbri cherries these days, also available on Amazon (or at a Williams-Sonoma if you have one around.)
Huntsman: They had the regular Christian Brothers and the version below VSOP as well. I figured, for $12, I could spring for the VSOP!
Just picked up both DeGroff books on B&N. Will return the one I like less.
Rambo, you are seriously, seriously going for it. Nice haul, and I mean haul! I see Savoy Corpse Reviver #2's in your future.... Enjoy! ~ H

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Grand Marnier -- I just drink it neat.
~ H

yup .. also a great drink for your guests after dinner. I remember a few months ago. I had a great dinner with my uncle. He asked me if I wanted some GM. I was like sure, he crack open a bottle of GM Centenaire, and it was really good. It was a great night. Then I got
frown.gif
when I find out how much it cost.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
yup .. also a great drink for your guests after dinner. I remember a few months ago. I had a great dinner with my uncle. He asked me if I wanted some GM. I was like sure, he crack open a bottle of GM Centenaire, and it was really good. It was a great night. Then I got
frown.gif
when I find out how much it cost.

Oddly enough, that is precisely what I am drinking now -- on account of thinking about it since posting. I first had the Cent on my birthday at a bar in Boston a few years ago; have had some on my birthday ever since. ~ H

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oddly enough, that is precisely what I am drinking now -- on account of thinking about it since posting. I first had the Cent on my birthday at a bar in Boston a few years ago; have had some on my birthday ever since. ~ H
today wouldn't happen to be your birthday, would it?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
today wouldn't happen to be your birthday, would it?
Hah, one of those cases that because I knew it was not my birthday, I didn't realize it might sound like it was to others. No, just felt in the mood for a modicum. ~ H

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Warren G.
http://www.amazon.com/Luxardo-Gourme...sr=1-1-catcorr ^... just lovely, nice touch for that special Manhattan. Speaking of which, I really like Canadian whisky for my Manhattan. I'm normally not a fan of Crown Royal. But I use the CR Special reserve..cost around $30-35ish. If I'm feeling like a baller, Cask No 16 is pretty nice as well. I think it's overpriced, but I seen it on sale quite often around here. You should also check out Gosling rum. It's my to go mixing dark rum and awesome value.
Thanks for the link. I thought a Manhattan used scotch (blended like JW Black), no? I had the Myers left over and plan to get some Goslings and ginger beer for Dark and Stormy's. Anybody have a recommendation for a ginger beer?
Grand Marnier -- I just drink it neat. It's orange cognac, basically. A number of people use it in Sidecars, which I think is odd, as the Sidecar already has coganc Cherries: Fanatical, hah, it's true, or at least I am fanatical that the NOT be those horrible scarlet 'confections' they serve these days. I've never had the Luxardo, but I've heard them praised everywhere, so I'm sure they are great (i Must try some myself, actually). I use Amarena Fabbri cherries these days, also available on Amazon (or at a Williams-Sonoma if you have one around.) Rambo, you are seriously, seriously going for it. Nice haul, and I mean haul! I see Savoy Corpse Reviver #2's in your future.... Enjoy! ~ H
Thanks Hunts! I have a good role model! What's the recipe for the Savoy Corpse Reviver #2?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
sidecar, old fashioned, rusty nail, aviation, da da da da da da

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great choices so far. I'd get more whiskey, but that's just me. Maybe something Irish like Tyrconnell for variety.

I agree with Huntsman that good cherries make a big difference. I use Toschi maraschino cherries and they're nothing like the standard cheap, bright red ones you find everywhere.

I really wish we could get maraschino liqueur here.

For your first cocktail, you can't go wrong with a Manhattan. I make mine with bourbon because rye whiskey is completely unavailable in my province and I think it's still a great drink.

How about a Martini?

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Great choices so far. I'd get more whiskey, but that's just me. Maybe something Irish like Tyrconnell for variety.

I agree with Huntsman that good cherries make a big difference. I use Toschi maraschino cherries and they're nothing like the standard cheap, bright red ones you find everywhere.

I really wish we could get maraschino liqueur here.

For your first cocktail, you can't go wrong with a Manhattan. I make mine with bourbon because rye whiskey is completely unavailable in my province and I think it's still a great drink.

How about a Martini?

Do you have access to Alberta Springs or Alberta Premium? Made with 100% rye. It's the only Canadian whiskey that is.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Do you have access to Alberta Springs or Alberta Premium? Made with 100% rye. It's the only Canadian whiskey that is.

Unfortunately, I don't. The provincial liquor monopoly has decided: no rye.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I thought a Manhattan used scotch (blended like JW Black), no?
American Whiskey is the rule. Bourbon or Rye. If you're using a Bourbon, use one on the tart side. Sweet bourbons like Makers simply aren't suitable, as the drink was originally made with rye, and is balanced for the same. If you make it with a too sweet bourbon, the drink will be too sweet. When you make one with Scotch, it's a Rob Roy. Feel free to do it, but it's not a Manhattan. As for the first 10 drinks, I'm just going to rattle off a few of my favorites. Warning, may be more than ten. Manhattan Martini (I prefer a gibson (cocktail onion garnish) or a twist) Pegu Club White Lady/Sidecar/XYZ, which are all New Orleans sours- bitter citrus juice, orange liqueur, gin/brandy/Dark or aged rum. The Margarita falls into that category as well, and there's a vodka one. One of my own invention I call the Aurora- 2 oz gin, 3/4 oz St. Germain, 3/4 oz lime juice, twist of lime. Ward 8 Luigi (1.5 measures gin, 1.5 measures dry vermouth, 1/4 measure grenadine, dash cointreau/triple sec, juice of half a tangerine or mandarin orange.) Daquiri. The original, made with rum, lime or lemon (use twice as much lemon as you would lime if you go that route) and sugar. Kingston: 1.5 oz dark rum, 3/4 oz gin, Juice of half a lime, tsp grenadine If you like mint, the stinger (2:1 brandy and creme de menthe) and Continental (3:1:1 light rum, cd menthe, lime juice) are fun. Plus, buy green creme de menthe (the only difference is food coloring), and they're green, which is perfect for about a week ago. Though the stinger is traditionally made sans food coloring. For somewhat longer drinks, Gin Sling (there are a billion recipes- the one I use comes from Rachel Maddow, who in addition to being a political wonk is a cocktail nut. 1.5 oz gin, 1 oz sweet vermouth, 3/4 oz lemon, 1 oz simple syrup, dash or two of bitters, top with seltzer.) Whiskey Sours are nice with some seltzer added. I would only fill up to the top of a tumbler, not a Collins glass. Gimlets are also good made as such, though I also usually make them with real lime juice and sugar, at which point they're probably not gimlets anymore... Cuba Libre (Rum and coke with lime, I consider it a classic though some despise it. But it's been around since we invaded Cuba and soldiers decided to combine that new tonic soda with the local rum) Planter's Punch. Yes, a billion variations exist. There's a reason for that. It's a good drink and easy enough to tweak. Sharkbite. Yeah, the one on the back of the Myer's bottle. Shot of dark rum, dash of grenadine and OJ. Nice combination, and I find it works even better with Amaretto subbed in for the grenadine. Uh, are those enough suggestions?

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Unfortunately, I don't. The provincial liquor monopoly has decided: no rye.

That's awful. What province?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads