• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
"burgundy" is a standard calf for alden
Interesting to know. So if one wants that exact pair in color, where else can they go for the 'standard' price of ~$450 for calf LWB's without being put on wait?

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neilius
Get a load of this: http://www.barneys.com/Perforated-Wi...efault,pd.html Are Barney's customers so stupid they actually WANT to pay $150 more for the same pair of shoes (okay, the color is a bit different) than necessary?These are just longwing bluchers in calfskin. Nice shoe, but $610? I guess Barney's people don't have the internet.
Are you sure they are not cordovan? Barney's prices are usually at MSRP or a little less, I've never seen them jack something up like that before. Plus, all of their other Aldens are in line with MSRP. I would guess that those are actually shell.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
Agree (and if they are shell, then they are cheaper than the Alden Shop...)
They look like the 975 #8 longwing to me. Barneys just calls them burgundy instead of #8

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
They look like the 975 #8 longwing to me. Barneys just calls them burgundy instead of #8

Agree, definitely the 975.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody own or handles these suede bucks?
Maybe even better pics?
Mx9pi.jpg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Maybe even better pics?
Mx9pi.jpg

I like them a lot. They're like the unlined chukka only a ptb.
I'd be all over them if I didn't already have a pair of PS Cages in that same color suede.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I'd be all over them if I didn't already have a pair of PS Cages in that same color suede.

Zippy being reasonable on a shoe purchase? Hmmm... Your New Years resolution for 2011?
lol8[1].gif

I kid.
But yah, I'm considering them but the pic I posted doesn't make them look too good.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Maybe even better pics?
Mx9pi.jpg

RFX, I saw those earlier on J. Crew as well. Semi tempted.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Derek92
So is the Grant tts or 1/2 size down? ... It's on the line.

The jury is still out on that one. Some say size down 1/2 and others say TTS (I'm in that camp).

Hence the reason for being on the line. I would try to go to a store and try on a pair if possible.

vespajg

Reaction score
Is anyone doing an Alden dirty buck with a red brick sole this year? I missed the Winn Perry version last year and even missed a pair of the Winn Perry's that sold last month on here, dammit! I'm an 8D Barrie last in case anyone else is selling a pair!!

I'm considering the Sanders (McNairy's are too hard to find and they're the same thing), but would rather have Aldens. And I don't care for the J Crew leather soled version...They're nice, but I want trad red...

Thanks in advance...

Derek92

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
The jury is still out on that one. Some say size down 1/2 and others say TTS (I'm in that camp).

Hence the reason for being on the line. I would try to go to a store and try on a pair if possible.

The problem with that is I'm two hours away from any store that would carry Aldens.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh

What do suede shoes look like after 5 years? 10 years? I have a pair of suede bucks (not alden) from a few years ago and there is definitely some wearing down of the suede on the sides and toe region. With leather, esp. cordovan, they can be polished/waxed back to life, but seems like once suede is worn, it is worn forever. So does it make sense to drop serious coin on casual suede shoes that may get worn a lot? Look at Clark's Desert Boots. Maybe the suede isn't as high quality, but they are <$80 right?

Photos of older Alden suede shoes would be helpful if anyone has some to post.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Definitely? The photos look much more brown than the 975 to me.
yeah looks like a "burnished" brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads