• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2011 James Beard award nominees

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I went in February. It was delicious but the service was a bit underwhelming. I went alone, so I got served the two-person menu which was nice, but they overcooked my pasta and forgot to bring one of the courses, so they actually made up for it with an extra course that was off the menu. The best dish they served me was called a "farmer's egg." It was a flat noodle, with a black bean puree, a cilantro pesto, and some other veggies and garnishes. The main course was a pork tenderloin with peppers. It was just alright. It was 5 or 6 courses and came out to only $75 with a tip and a Schlitz beer. :rockstar:

Thanks! The food sounds good. I am going to check that place out ASAP. I keep hearing about it and seeing positive reviews in the various magazines that I read (mostly New York magazine).

I have been to ABC Kitchen so I would like to compare the two places. They are both nominated for the best new restaurant.

jumpinjeffd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Cafe Boulud is a joke. I have no idea why Bell got nominated for anything other than serving over-priced crap.

+1 Been to that establishment and I am not a fan

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Is he related to Charlie Trotter?
Foodguy might know him. Maybe he says he is a good guy.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I love Slanted Door. I hate the clientele, in general.

Mixed feelings on Danko. Personally, I know him to be a huge gaping orifice of an asshole, but a lot of people I know and respect think his food is fantastic. I enjoy his restaurant, but can't get passed his personality.

Are these the same people who invite Amaryll Schwertner to their dinner parties?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Cafe Boulud is a joke. I have no idea why Bell got nominated for anything other than serving over-priced crap.

You're on crack. My favorite Daniel restaurant.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big LOLs are: Blue Hill for best restaurant
facepalm.gif
(BH @ Stone Barns maybe but BHNY nfw), Torrisi for best new restaurant
facepalm.gif
(maybe most incredibly overhyped restaurant?), Wylie Dufresne or Gabrielle Hamilton for best NYC chef
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
(double barf)

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The big LOLs are: Blue Hill for best restaurant
facepalm.gif
(BH @ Stone Barns maybe but BHNY nfw), Torrisi for best new restaurant
facepalm.gif
(maybe most incredibly overhyped restaurant?), Wylie Dufresne or Gabrielle Hamilton for best NYC chef
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
(double barf)

+1 to all of these.

and Cafe Boulud is great.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is Blue Hills NY no good? I have a friend who loves it, but he has no taste.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Is Blue Hills NY no good? I have a friend who loves it, but he has no taste.

That's actually perfect because the food there has no taste. Everything is under-seasoned and floating in nages and broths. I think some people like the extra-light flavor concept - I'm not one of them

mr. magoo

Reaction score
I used to adore Blue Hill, it was my personal favorite in NYC, but now think it's a bit "too big" for its confines. Regardless, not one of the best restaurants in the US, though very, very good. Note that the award requires having been open for ten years, so places like Per Se or BH@SB can't be nominated.

I personally liked Coi when I visited, but haven't been to Benu. I thought it was overpriced, but it was good and the service was top notch. Also really liked Slanted Door, both times I've been.

I found Blackbird to be pretty mediocre, however. Full of failed experiments.

Of those not discussed previously, I also liked Ubuntu (Napa, Rising Chef), Momofuku Milk Bar (NYC, Rising Chef), Pok Pok (Portland, Regional), Redd (Yountville, Regional), Quince (SF, Regional) and 112 Eatery (Minneapolis, Regional)...

but thought Le Pigeon (Portland, Rising Chef) and Heartland (St. Paul, Regional) were disappointing.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
Are these the same people who invite Amaryll Schwertner to their dinner parties?
No, but the Blue Hills person is .

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the beards are mostly conversation-starters. i've been involved on both sides -- judging and competing -- for many years, and it's not in any way to be considered a reliable indicator of anything more than what a small group of fairly informed people think at any one particular moment.
for me, honestly, i can say that winning is really nice, but being nominated always meant more ... the usual artist's bullshit of "how can you say one story/book was the best of the whole year?" but really, how can you?
that said, i do have to admit that the biggest honor of my career has been/will probably ever be their who's who. mainly because you're nominated and voted only by those who are already members, and they only do a few a year.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You're on crack. My favorite Daniel restaurant.
In Palm Beach? From what I've heard the one in NY is far and away the better of the two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads