• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay selling strategy: low price, huge S&H

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this selling strategy?

Thom Browne Rugby shirt. BIN for USD 1
bounce2.gif

...but USD 199 S/H
ffffuuuu.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/THOM-BROWNE-POLO...item3365fb63f5

Good idea or epic fail?

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does work pretty well sometimes... but you get people reporting you, and I've gotta point out that this is why Feebay is soon going to be charging a Final Value Fee on the SHIPPING too. For normal sellers, it's a ripoff - getting charged 9% fees on money you pay to the Post Office, - but it kills the business model dead for these sellers.

Of course, from Feebay's perspective, they get more money from fees either way - so they're happy as clams. Their argument is "it'll help you by making free shipping more attractive!"

What a load of bollocks. I agree with what they're trying to do, but Feebay is looking worse and worse all the time for small-time sellers. I could go on...

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately this happens way too much. When I contact the sellers they usually go with the line of "Buy it or leave it."

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
eBay's final value is now calculated on the total including shipping, so this doesn't work.

I think thats effective April 1.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Yeah. I knew it had some date associated with the change, but I didn't know what it was.

Just checked - April 19th. Im changing all my listings to $1900 for shipping!!!
bounce2.gif

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong. I just assume the vendor will be delivering them in person, anywhere.

Little Cletus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
What do you guys think of this selling strategy?

Thom Browne Rugby shirt. BIN for USD 1
bounce2.gif

...but USD 199 S/H
ffffuuuu.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/THOM-BROWNE-POLO...item3365fb63f5

Good idea or epic fail?

It would be a reasoable S/H regardless of the cost of the item. Just having to pack the item in a box and mailing it from the post office takes time. The box may cost $10 and your time, say 1/2 hr is another $300 so the S/H is actually a bargain here unless you're some min. wage ebay dweeb in which case your time is worth nothing
lol8[1].gif

mink31

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic: how does one "report" a seller without making a transaction?

jobro

Reaction score
Won't they just receive bad feedback on the detail of "Shipping higher than actual cost" resulting in their fee's rising?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Won't they just receive bad feedback on the detail of "Shipping higher than actual cost" resulting in their fee's rising?
Actually ebay has a stupid policy that you can't leave neg feedback unless you pay for the item.

I know this b/c I fell for one of these auctions in the past, where the seller sold a $200 brooks giftcard for $25 but had $200 shipping. I didn't catch it b/c he didn't mention it in the description. When I contacted ebay, they told me not to pay him and they would remove the auction. I left him neg feedback, but it was removed b/c he filed a reverse complaint that I didn't pay for the auction, even though that is what ebay told me to do. In the end, the auction was removed but so was my feedback.

jobro

Reaction score
I'm talking where the person pays for the item and recieves it. Sometimes the $200 shipping still ends up to be a good deal, but can leave them open to negative feedback in the above detailed section.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads