• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you work?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I call bullshit on most of these guys in this thread.

dont go getting all "Woe is me! I work 100 hours a week! 8 days a week!" when you have more than 1,000 posts on SF.

Originally Posted by skitlets
Maybe most of those posts happen at work?
laugh.gif

Exactly. "work" might entail sitting at your desk surfing the web and avoiding phone calls to your office.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
Exactly. "work" mostly entails sitting at your desk surfing the web and avoiding phone calls to your office.

FTFY.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dont go getting all "Woe is me! I work 100 hours a week! 8 days a week!" when you have more than 1,000 posts on SF.

Eh...most people here don't seem to be "Woe is me". They seem to have accepted that they work it (and there is an odd sense of pride amongst fresh ibankers of how much they work...obviously a coping mechanism but whatever)

As for the SF posts...it is all about downtime. Maybe this is why traders all dress so terribly? All of the traders I know have zero downtime at work (although they definitely make more per hour of work and will never be stuck in the office at midnight trying to meet a deadline).

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
I worked from December 26 to March 15 without a day off.
Part of my job right now.
My typical day involves getting to work about 6 in the morning and leaving about 8-9 at night except for the weekends which just involve mostly morning work and the odd occasional trip back to work to deal with problems.
This schedule will not be permanent.

v.freeman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Eh...most people here don't seem to be "Woe is me". They seem to have accepted that they work it (and there is an odd sense of pride amongst fresh ibankers of how much they work...obviously a coping mechanism but whatever)

I used to want to work that many hours until I actually had to do it. Then I realized how much it sucked.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Resident (IM).

Just got home from my last day of 12 straight. Thankfully have tomorrow off. Those 12 days included 2 overnights of 30+ hours (supposed to be capped at 30 but sometimes go over by an hour or two). My "regular" days are 12-14 hours long.

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not much right now, Im still studying and my school pays my eduction so its all good.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to work 100+ hour weeks, when I did campaign work. 8am-Midnight was a standard weekday, 10am-midnight was standard on weekends.

It's an interesting experience, but only tolerable frankly because you know that it's coming to an end at a defined time -- election day.

Working at political orgs was pretty much 9-5, until election season when it became more like 70-hour weeks.

Now I work for a political tech startup, and I make my own hours at home.

I used to do the who-has-the-bigger-work-dick thing, but it's definitely not worth the actual hours.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr. magoo

Originally Posted by Connemara
Magoo, a former colleague of mine recently left the political world (his last stint was in fundraising) to become a development guy at a local non-profit. He loves it. Like you said, tons of women, great hours.

I was thisclose to pursuing a development career coming out of grad school. I even had a contact in my college's development office, and one of my specializations was NPO management. Perhaps unfortunately, I didn't really go after a job, but I do keep an eye out for positions in the field. It always seemed interesting to me, and I would probably consider a position if I happened upon one.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The residents and doctors in this thread are quotting actual number of hours in the hospital. As far as downtime during the day, I had far more time as a resident. I was guaranteed at least an hour or two of instructional time that didn't involve me running around like a crazy man. More importantly, I got to eat. To maintain less than a 10 hour weekday usually involves forgoing any type of meal, 1 scheduled bathroom break, and power walking stairs.

Posting on SF is nice intellectual break that I usually reserve for the lag my billing takes, or, when I'm at home. Even the banter on SF is more intellectual than the crap coming from the TV.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I was thisclose to pursuing a development career coming out of grad school. I even had a contact in my college's development office, and one of my specializations was NPO management. Perhaps unfortunately, I didn't really go after a job, but I do keep an eye out for positions in the field. It always seemed interesting to me, and I would probably consider a position if I happened upon one.

These are not 9-5 jobs (but then again, what really well paying jobs are?) and you really need to be a self-starter. If you want an eye opener, pull the 990s on any local non-profit with a budget >$10 million and development revenues > $1.2 million or so. You'll find the head development person will being making 110k or more. Get into the big leagues, like say chief development officer for a large university, and you're talking 500k or more. With a big university, they'll have dozens of specialized folks, like say "major gifts, college of medicine," and they'll all be making 120-180k.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Most private practice IM attendings I know either work less hours and are paid significantly less, or have crazy busy schedules. NY has to be one of the worst states to practice medicine.

Yes NYC is very competitive. I think the opportunities get better the farther away you get from NYC. I've spoken with various attendings in the SF Bay area and that area sounds even more competitive than NYC.

OTOH I suspect the subset of well established docs in NYC who only take cash (no 3rd party payers) can do very well. I was recently looking for a physician for myself and all the ones recommended to me by friends don't accept insurance.

Originally Posted by 997CTSurg
I worked from December 26 to March 15 without a day off.
Part of my job right now.
My typical day involves getting to work about 6 in the morning and leaving about 8-9 at night except for the weekends which just involve mostly morning work and the odd occasional trip back to work to deal with problems.
This schedule will not be permanent.

Are you the only CTSurg in your area? Your schedule sounds like it was from back in the days of solo practice.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
These are not 9-5 jobs (but then again, what really well paying jobs are?) and you really need to be a self-starter. If you want an eye opener, pull the 990s on any local non-profit with a budget >$10 million and development revenues > $1.2 million or so. You'll find the head development person will being making 110k or more. Get into the big leagues, like say chief development officer for a large university, and you're talking 500k or more. With a big university, they'll have dozens of specialized folks, like say "major gifts, college of medicine," and they'll all be making 120-180k.

Hours and pay depends who you are in the organization, of course.

Re: hours -- my wife was making about $75k for a well-heeled but low-paying private school as the "head" of prospect research. (She was the only prospect researcher.) She worked less than 9-5. Her best friend was making closer to $100k, and she was not working 9-5 either -- part-time now. Their boss was probably pulling in $150k - $200k. She worked longer hours, but not much more than 9-5. Probably 50-60 hour weeks, but that includes a lot of meetings and schmoozing with donors (i.e., socializing with the wealthy). The boss had, of course, a lot more accountability.

Re: self-starting -- not especially. It's a hierarchy so someone will tell you what to do, although of course you must know your job and do it. If you know the profession, then, yes, sometimes you must figure things out on your own, but it's not like being an entrepreneur or trader.

tonie

Reaction score
As standard, I do 8.5 hours Mon-Fri with an hour+ travelling on either side. Thereafter I also write press releases and sell them onto other companies (such as Cavendish) and make some extra cash that way.

So you can say I work 7 days
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads