• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
True but LN-CC is nice enough to lower the value as well on anything I purchase from them.

by how much? and is it automatically done? was thinkin bout ordering but I refuse to pay customs fees.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
by how much? and is it automatically done? was thinkin bout ordering but I refuse to pay customs fees.

You have to e-mail them and ask.

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslade
How is Vanishing Elephant at retail?

They have a great shape, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. McNairy, etc. will be way better quality, but even though both are bucks the shapes are completely different. I had the VE leather oxfords and the leather was weird, seemed cheaply made.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslade
How is Vanishing Elephant at retail? Thinking of picking up some Bucks for the summer.

I wouldn't kop at retail, not worth it. That said VE shoes are a pretty good deal at 1/2 off or so.

Originally Posted by BlackToothedGrin
They have a great shape, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. McNairy, etc. will be way better quality, but even though both are bucks the shapes are completely different. I had the VE leather oxfords and the leather was weird, seemed cheaply made.
To be fair, part of it is that they use a 'waxed leather' on some of the shoes which is why it probably seems kinda weird... not many companies do waxed leather shoes. I have some suede ones as well... which are ok, not as nice as my F+B, but good enough

Originally Posted by hendrix
i hate the VE shapes to be honest. That whole malnourished sole thing is lame.

huh? malnourished sole? The ones I have may not have a sole that compares to my heavy duty longwings, but I definitely wouldn't call it malnourished...

also, Yes/no?
med.jpg

(Florsheim by Duckie Brown)

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions, guys. I wasn't really sure about Vanishing Elephant quality, and have often heard some pretty bad stuff about them. I guess I'll just wait until sales season.
blush.gif

And Meis - I vote no. That shoe's pretty ugly looking...

pfurey

Reaction score
VE quality is decent for what they are. The leather on my pair of boots is actually pretty solid though - the heel is thin, but that's how they're supposed to be, doesn't mean it's ******. Not everyone wants that neo-nazi stormtrooper steez.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i'd weigh in on this but ...

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
nah i didn't mean it like that, it's not tight on me it's truly free-size but i meant given my chest size it looks odd on me. it needs a different height/chest ratio than mine. although i have been after a baller robe so if you don't go for it i'll wear it on the patio with slippers and silk shorts when i'm having tea or fresh pomegranate juice i tried doing a workout scheme that would not lead to growth (bodyweight compound lifts) but it's not working ... i'm growing
frown.gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
nah i didn't mean it like that, it's not tight on me it's truly free-size but i meant given my chest size it looks odd on me.
I dunno, what size do you think the guy in that fit pic in your sufu thread is? Maybe you should take a fitpic. I have an idea in my head about how to wear it and errything, but I can't really tell if it would actually fit me the way I see it in my head.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
imagine that guy, but with a bigger torso and bigger legs so it's not drapey on him. if i take a pic and it looks marsupialed it will discourage you
laugh.gif
is ok though if you don't want it, come monday i'll send it to Björn in Sweden he's been cold lately and asked for some warmth

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
posted purchase of NB shoes earlier then found some other muted type green shoes
ffffuuuu.gif
Former:
ml574lpg_xl.jpg

should i return when it comes in and order one of the following instead? looking to swap out the laces with tan color: 1.
24_1.jpg

New+Balance+574+Mono.jpg

0jra4cl-560.jpg
[/SPOILER] 4.
oldskoolnobucgreen.jpg

All relatively under $70 price range for summer shoes (been looking for the right pair of green) and unable to kop the CP Vintage green lows
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads