• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I think as a matter of good faith, the OP should have tried to better work this out with the merchant before trying to leverage an online community against the merchant. if something goes wrong, just talk to the merchant. try to be reasonable.

reputations take a long time to build and are easy to crush, justified or not. and the trouble is that permanent damage inflicted on the merchant can easily not to be commensurate with the consumer experience

Exactly.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Exactly.

You keep chiming in for B. Nelson. But yet to address the fact that he was offering to fix my wife shoes for free, great since they jacked them up! And then offered to put flush plates on for $30. Doesn't that sound like a resolution? Didn't want to remove the tap then and there.

As I said it was a mistake and it happens, but you and many others seem to think I owe a Company, not Nick, the right to resolve it first before stating my experience. If he gains or loses customers is not in my control. The only thing that I can control is my reactions to all of this. My particular course of action happens on this forum and in many other places, I am not exempt nor is any other entity.

Will he go further to fix this or what our conversation will hold later, we shall see?

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why does somebody have to wait until a problem is resolved to share their experience. Makes no sense. If somebody f---ed up, it's on them. I think everyone should always post their experiences (good or bad) with vendors/merchants. That's why forums exist. Some people are just fanboys, so take what they say with a grain of salt.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyasih
You keep chiming in for B. Nelson. But yet to address the fact that he was offering to fix my wife shoes for free, great since they jacked them up! And then offered to put flush plates on for $30. Doesn't that sound like a resolution? Didn't want to remove the tap then and there.

As I said it was a mistake and it happens, but you and many others seem to think I owe a Company, not Nick, the right to resolve it first before stating my experience. If he gains or loses customers is not in my control. The only thing that I can control is my reactions to all of this. My particular course of action happens on this forum and in many other places, I am not exempt nor is any other entity.

Will he go further to fix this or what our conversation will hold later, we shall see?

gyasih, I don't think it was your intent to strong-arm Nick/B.Nelson into doing what you want by starting this thread. I don't think you thought your little spark would turn into the 11-page flame war it has at this point.

But, I agree with those who have said it would have been better to allow Nick/B.Nelson a few days to resolve the issue before "going public" with your customer service snafu. Just because your "particular course of action happens on this forum and in many other places" doesn't mean it's the right way.

I don't know Nick and have never done business with B.Nelson, so I have no dog in this fight. But, I do find it unfortunate that there are 11 pages of bickering about what may have happened to these shoes and what he/they should or should not do about it before he/they have even had a chance to rectify the situation.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you feel, that I am trying to leverage an online community against him?
b/c of this:
My intital post was before I went to B. Nelson.
here is a similar situation: a couple of weeks ago, I bought a pair of pants from a seller here on B/S. they arrived with a stain. rather than starting a thread called "Awful experience with poster XYZ!!!" I got in touch with him, he was completely reasonable, and we worked it out to our mutual satisfaction. no harm no foul. just imagine if everytime a sale in B/S didn't go 100% smoothly, one party started a thread about it. the forum would just be flooded. try to be reasonable with your counterparty. you have not been.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he gains or loses customers is not in my control.
lol what? you cant start a thread to slander someone then claim the effect of that is out of your control

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
b/c of this:

here is a similar situation:

a couple of weeks ago, I bought a pair of pants from a seller here on B/S. they arrived with a stain. rather than starting a thread called "Awful experience with poster XYZ!!!" I got in touch with him, he was completely reasonable, and we worked it out to our mutual satisfaction. no harm no foul.

just imagine if everytime a sale in B/S didn't go 100% smoothly, one party started a thread about it. the forum would just be flooded.

try to be reasonable with your counterparty. you have not been.

Great, glad it worked out. This is the way you handled it, you will have an opinion and are entitled to it. Have not been reasonable? Did you read my post about his response, which I posted? And I still said that I would hold judgement until Friday (today).

lol what? you cant start a thread to slander someone then claim the effect of that is out of your control

Many people who have had experiences with him will continue to use him, b/c they had a good experience. Some people will not because of either what I posted or Nick's response. And some people will use him because of other's people's experiences. That is life! Why is B. Nelson special??????

Originally Posted by southbound35
gyasih, I don't think it was your intent to strong-arm Nick/B.Nelson into doing what you want by starting this thread. I don't think you thought your little spark would turn into the 11-page flame war it has at this point.

But, I agree with those who have said it would have been better to allow Nick/B.Nelson a few days to resolve the issue before "going public" with your customer service snafu. Just because your "particular course of action happens on this forum and in many other places" doesn't mean it's the right way.

I don't know Nick and have never done business with B.Nelson, so I have no dog in this fight. But, I do find it unfortunate that there are 11 pages of bickering about what may have happened to these shoes and what he/they should or should not do about it before he/they have even had a chance to rectify the situation.

Well said. Definitely not trying to slander, s--t, I still have another pair being worked on at the store. Do you interpret "let us fix your wife's shoes for free, and I'll charge you $30 for flush mounte plates" as a solution?

officeboy

Reaction score

It's not slander if the pictures and statements are true. I'm on the OP's side here for his right to post.
I think experiences both Good and Bad should be posted here. I've seen plenty of good things come from bad posts, but I've also seen vendors burn themselves over these type of posts. It's the mark of a great person/vendor/store who can overcome negative word of mouth and get people to change their tune. So far B.Nelson is not rising above the issue.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
experience both good and bad should be posted, sure. but part of the experience should be approaching your vendor/partner to work out potential issues, rather than airing dirty laundry in public. if at that point you are still unsatisfied, then post away.

otherwise, you're not giving him/that business a fair shake at correcting the inevitable mistake.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
^^

This is more out of goodwill than anything else.
He does not have to wait, but It would have been
a show of good faith. If he wants to do that then by all means
more power to him. However, he is not in the wrong by any stretch
of the imagination by providing a fluid account of his experience.
How would you like it if the News decided not to report a fluid account of
how a serial killer is set loose. Do you want them to keep quiet about it until
someone is killed or the killer is captured.....?

PS: In no way am I saying B. Nelson is bad.
This is more to point out that the OP
has the right to do what he did, and is not at fault in anyway.

southbound35

Reaction score
Do you interpret "let us fix your wife's shoes for free, and I'll charge you $30 for flush mounte plates" as a solution?

As I said, I have no dog in this fight. It's not my place to determine what is the right/wrong solution.

I hope for the best resolution for both parties.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
As I said, I have no dog in this fight. It's not my place to determine what is the right/wrong solution.

I hope for the best resolution for both parties.

No problem, most people don't think I gave him a chance to resolve. My posts #1, 9, and 16 all point to my dealings up to the point where Nick, a representative of B. Nelson, said B. Nelson. Is it the final solution, I don't know and stated that we'd see today?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem, most people don't think I gave him a chance to resolve

I thought you had accepted as such. is this point being disputed by anyone? you posted this thread before you had been in touch with him re: your complaints, correct?

officeboy

Reaction score
I think a good example of what I'm talking about was a recent post/review of TheTieBar. The poster was contacted privately, and every effort was made to not only make wrongs right but to ensure the customer was happy. (I don't even think there were wrongs in this case, just not 100% satisfaction)

This speaks to the dedication and professionalism of the business. While posting in a thread is their right, I really think it would be the rare case where it would help them.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score

Slander doesn't mean what you think it means.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics