• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, since I couldn't get on last night, "little bit" turned into much later!

Anyway, so yeah, I think someone from a "rich city" must have driven here to drop off their donations yesterday.
laugh.gif

Morning, store 1:
AE Cambridge 8.5D burgundy shell cordovan, new never worn

Afternoon, store 2:
Brioni shirt
Thomas Pink shirt
Borrelli shirt
Oxxford shirt - all the shirts were from the same guy, all 15-inch necks
BB 3/2 camelhair
BB 3/2 tweed halflined
The first thing I found was actually an Oxxford jacket in super 110's, recent paper-style-label. Of course, no pants. Spent 45 minutes looking... and finally found them in women's, probably because they had side tabs. The employees asking "sir, men's pants are over there, you know that?" was totally worth it.
laugh.gif

Afternoon, hit one last store on the way home:
3 Hermes ties... boom. One has some condition issues, and they aren't the most recent, but I'll take 'em!

Pics:
P1060443.JPG

P1060445.JPG

P1060447.JPG

P1060446.JPG

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWGP
The first thing I found was actually an Oxxford jacket in super 110's, recent paper-style-label. Of course, no pants. Spent 45 minutes looking... and finally found them in women's, probably because they had side tabs. The employees asking "sir, men's pants are over there, you know that?" was totally worth it.
laugh.gif

Finding suit trousers in the womens section has happened quite a few times to me. Nobody has said anything in a long time, but I used to get really irritated when someone would tell me that. It's not like I'm blind. I can tell where I am. Plus, maybe I'm looking for my wife. I once told the guy about finding the suit trousers and he helped me look and actually found them! It was pretty cool.

Cotillion

Reaction score
Been traveling between two cities for past few months and next few months for work...boy do I miss my SF Bay Area thrift route
frown.gif

Great finds WGP

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Anyway, so yeah, I think someone from a "rich city" must have driven here to drop off their donations yesterday.
laugh.gif

Morning, store 1:

Afternoon, store 2:
Brioni shirt
Thomas Pink shirt
Borrelli shirt
BB 3/2 camelhair
BB 3/2 tweed halflined
laugh.gif

3 Hermes ties... boom. One has some condition issues, and they aren't the most recent, but I'll take 'em!

you are the man, superly great finds over there

i hope you didnt pay too much for all that stuff.... the thrift stores in my area are a bit too pricey for my liking

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*sigh*
They were gone by the time I got back.
Now I know.
But I did find some size 9 Alden black tassel loafers. Pics to follow, once I shine them up. I'm not into tassels, but it seems like anything with the name "Alden" on it gets crazy bids on the Ebayz, so I figured it was worth $10 to give it a try.

JKMWCL

Reaction score

laugh.gif

Morning, store 1:

Afternoon, store 2:
Brioni shirt
Thomas Pink shirt
Borrelli shirt
BB 3/2 camelhair
BB 3/2 tweed halflined
laugh.gif

Damn that skinny necked, little footed son-uv-a! Awesome finds!!

Good luck and happy hunting, Csoukoulis!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Finding suit trousers in the womens section has happened quite a few times to me. Nobody has said anything in a long time, but I used to get really irritated when someone would tell me that. It's not like I'm blind. I can tell where I am. Plus, maybe I'm looking for my wife. I once told the guy about finding the suit trousers and he helped me look and actually found them! It was pretty cool.

Yeah, I've done it one or two times before. It seems to only work very rarely for me - then again, it's very very rare that I see anything worth hunting for pants on. I did once have luck asking an employee "do you have any men's pants on a rack in the back you could bring out?" and found a pair of Canali pants to complete a suit that way.

I'd never had anyone SAY anything to me before, but had long thought about it / anticipated it, so I actually cracked up at him. I'm pretty sure he thought I was one of those people who aren't all there for a second, but once I explained what I was doing he thought it was pretty cool. Didn't help me find them, though!

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor

KsuWe.jpg

Purple-check shirt that effing *pops* (in person) -- it's a ladyshirt, but still...
laugh.gif

Are you going to wear said ladyshirt? My wife is a BB 8 and I have a hard time imagining her shirts fitting on a man's waist.

Xenos

Reaction score
TheWGP, nice scores! Those shells should fetch a fair price if you're selling.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

What size is the Oxxford?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
going to make a quick trip out. wish me luck boys!

Good luck! Not that you'll need it or anything, though! You've been scoring big lately.
worship.gif

TheWGP

Nice scores! Just goes to show that just one donation can make the difference of the day being a bust or a score!

As for me, the day was a flop clothing-wise (as anticipated), but I scored some great vinyl on the way home at a garage sale. The sale started yesterday and I guess some lady hauled out 2 boxes full yesterday so I'd hate to know what I missed. Some cool stuff like a few Pentagle albums, bunch of Steeleye Span and a few oddities. Also a promo copy of Big Brother & The Holding Companies "Be a Brother".

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Sitting here with 10 recent oxxford suits 6 oxxford sport coats and 3 belvest sport coats in my cart. All from the same guy as they're all about a 56r. Debating whether or not this size is worth picking up to flip probably as a lot. Would cost me about 4 bills to snag everything. Any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads