• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctp120
DSC_0859.jpg

Originally Posted by gdl203
ctp - looks great but would look so much better with a belt

On my monitor, there just isn't enough contrast between the pants and shirt. IRL, I suspect the lavender vs. grey is much more pronounced. That said, I think a belt would create a sufficient visual break (I did see your comment that these pants are loopless).

Originally Posted by TRINI
And a white shirt.

White would definitely be more crisp with the light pants, especially sans belt.

Regardless, I'm picking nits on an overall solid look.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Manton - other than your A&S Shetland tweed, do you have any other 'FU' type sportcoats?

And would you ever wear the Shetland to work?

I have a lovat green with a blue windowpane.

Answer to second is "No way."

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
gdl - you look fantastic. Are those St. Crispins?

gdl,

Looks nice. Especially like the tie and suit fabrics.

Thanks guys
shog[1].gif
Shoes are St Crispins indeed. Tie is wool and suit is blue minnis flannel

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from WAYWRN, since I'm wearing a tie...

Mediterranean conservative business dress, on a Friday?

HArxv.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's RTW by Borrelli. To be quite frank, I'm VERY surprised by all the praises for this coat here. It's pretty basic - and you guys can't even see the suede elbow patches !

Fwiw, I'm not so hot on that coat.
laugh.gif

Back to conservative business dress today. I apologize about the crappy quality of the pictures. It seems like the blackberry camera has trouble getting in focus on fuzzy flannel...
IMG01548-20110325-1036.jpg

This however is great! Your collar/lapel/knot triumvirate is always in excellent proportion.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOBD - looks very nice. Shirt stripe is very thin so it looks like all solids in the first pic, which I would have said is not optimal - a butcher stripe would have been nice.

I'm not a fan of the perfect belt & shoes match but both are awesome in their own right.
worship.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Cross-post from WAYWRN, since I'm wearing a tie...

Mediterranean conservative business dress, on a Friday?

HArxv.jpg

I think this would be improved with:

1) a less formal shirt collar

2) bluchers, monks or loafers

3) different pants. Those look chino-ish

Colors are nice.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOBD - looks very nice. Shirt stripe is very thin so it looks like all solids in the first pic, which I would have said is not optimal - a butcher stripe would have been nice.

I'm not a fan of the perfect belt & shoes match but both are awesome in their own right.
worship.gif

Thanks, gdl. I understand what you say about the thin stripe: can look a bit drab from a distance, but it's quite vibrant (especially for a linen shirt) IRL.

The match is not perfect, btw. I wanted a medium brown that went well with medium brown suedes (Polo brown, like these, but also snuff). I'll dig up a pic to show what I mean.

Edit:

3iMQl.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think this would be improved with:

1) a less formal shirt collar

2) bluchers, monks or loafers

3) different pants. Those look chino-ish

Colors are nice.

Thanks for the feedback. The pants are chino's (jacket is cotton as well).

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knowing his reticence about grey odd jackets, I'm especially interested to hear Manton's take on this, if he'll be so kind. Also, strict conservative business dress rules aside, do you feel this works generally? (It would definitely go over fine at my workplace). Please ignore sleeve wrinkles; left is twisted and both arms are bent. Never realized posing for fit pics could be so awkward
ffffuuuu.gif
DSC_0857.jpg

you might not like this, but it's a very "thom browne"

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
you might not like this, but it's a very "thom browne"
facepalm.gif
You aren't the first to question the length, but I didn't think it was that bad.
frown.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wasn't just talking about the length. the whole thing on second look is thom browne styled. the grey jacket with the darker grey pants were his stock in trade look around like 2008 or 2007. i actually like it a lot.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Knowing his reticence about grey odd jackets, I'm especially interested to hear Manton's take on this, if he'll be so kind. Also, strict conservative business dress rules aside, do you feel this works generally? (It would definitely go over fine at my workplace).
As solid gray odd jackets go that's far from the worst. But it illustrates the paradox. Gray odd jackets look better when they are light. Yet a top-light, bottom-dark pairing is hard to do well. The reverse looks so much better 99% of the time.

Overall it looks you have mostly "suit" colors, textures and patterns but in an odd jacket ensemble and it just looks incongruous. The only "suity" odd jacket combo that looks good, IMO, is a blazer and grays. With that you can wear a spread collar shirt and soporific business tie. With a coat like that, it doesn't work. The trousers are also too polished for that. Khaki, cream or stone would probably be better. Or else something funky like an F-U plaid or red or lime green or something.

ctp120

Reaction score
westside,

Well, as I'm sure you can imagine, he isn't one of my style icons (although I do own an untipped grey herringbone wool tie from his BBBF collection
peepwall[1].gif
). I see your point about the dk. grey/ lt. grey combo, though.

The coatmaker in this case would likely be insulted by the comparison, but I'm starting to question the length more and more myself. Probably doesn't help that I have long-ish arms in proportion to my torso length.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Serge fabric is pretty indestructible. Was thinking of getting a grey suit in the fabric.
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
pochette
I don't mind the new fit, but I'd love to see old/new side by side. Also: nice pochette.
Originally Posted by ManofKent
How pale a suit can you go for before it's non-conservative business dress? Does CDB have to be dark suits? Shoe colour is 'Anthracite' - mid/dark grey with a hint of brown (probably look slightly greyer in real life). Can grey shoes ever be conservative business dress?
A light grey suit would certainly fly here in California without a hitch. I like the shoes & don't think anyone would notice.
Great combo.
The coatmaker in this case would likely be insulted by the comparison, but I'm starting to question the length more and more myself. Probably doesn't help that I have long-ish arms in proportion to my torso length.
It may work if the coat length reaches halfway down your body. I know a guy with gorilla arms that does the "must cup hands under jacket" rule & it looks like he's wearing a robe. If the coat cuts you in half, I'll wager you're fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads