• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stick
Poorly fitting leather jackets are probably one of the easiest ways to fail an outfit, especially in the shoulders. imo the DR styles look much better with the shoulder smaller than the width between the ends of your shoulder bones, so the seam sits a little higher and is more fitted. I'm guessing they feel the same way, since if you compare the old size charts for the DR and the other jackets, shoulder measurements are always narrower on the DR than the other jackets in the same sizes.

In that case, the arm hole needs to be bigger or you'll get way too much pulling, which is also ugly looking. Hopefully this will work out. My bespoke suit jacket is at a 17.75" S2S and 18 waist. I got the minimalist DR upped to 17.6S2S back and 17.1S2S front with the waist decreased to roughly 18.3". My drop isn't insane but I'm definitely not boxy.

mrchariybrown

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
haha sorry about my short responses sometimes. those are usually from 7:30am-8:30am when I've gotten up to take a piss but haven't gotten out of bed. so half awake, I pick up my iphone and try to respond to your questions so you guys don't have to wait
smile.gif
I'm always more than happy to help.. but for those of you that own an iphone and have fingers that resemble sausages like mine, then you know how hard it's to type on one of those things.. thus, I try to keep my responses to the bare minimum.

Crump's Brother

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Usually in real time what happens is that the people who make stuff like to do the hard work first and get it all out of the way, so they cut, sew, finish stuff about 90%, and then things like button holes, buttons, snaps, they'll collect a few so they can do that all at once. Then they may even do that in a couple cycles so that they don't have to run back and forth to drop off just a couple jackets at a time.

if that's the case for the bombers than the folk who make it need to drop mine off to you guys so it can be sent out before next week
mad.gif

in a way i wish i had ordered one when i first looked into getting one but i also am glad i hesitated for awhile 'cause i would have gotten a lambskin one since it was cheaper before and i think i would like calf better after broken in

i really hope i get it before it feels like spring weather 'cause i'm too warm blooded to wear it in spring weather...i've been checking the 10 day forecast on a daily basis actually hoping the weather doesn't get too warm...even as cold as this winter has been

musicboohoo[1].gif

stick

Reaction score
Ultimately up to you, and whatever advice Charly is giving is definitely better than mine. Bombers can do the slightly oversized look perfectly fine (see ed09 whatever his name was, haha, his black bomber is like 2" too big in the shoulders iirc but he makes it look good), but the DR styles would just look sloppy without a well fitting shoulder. Also depends on how "edgy" you want your jacket to be I guess, having the seams hit right at the ends of your shoulders makes it more classic/conservative, bringing them in makes them more edgy. Honestly I don't think it's worth fretting over that much, it can be a pretty subtle difference and is also affected by size of deltoids, sleeve length and biceps/triceps, etc.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also depends on how "edgy" you want your jacket to be I guess, having the seams hit right at the ends of your shoulders makes it more classic/conservative, bringing them in makes them more edgy. Honestly I don't think it's worth fretting over that much, it can be a pretty subtle difference and is also affected by size of deltoids, sleeve length and biceps/triceps, etc.

Just about to say that! So I think we're both thinking about the same look. Having the seams hit the shoulder bone for me would probably create the look you're thinking of because of my deltoids.
bigstar[1].gif

And Charly, no problem. I looked at the time and thought to myself, I would be grumpy/half asleep too!

puddin

Reaction score
Also depends on how "edgy" you want your jacket to be I guess, having the seams hit right at the ends of your shoulders makes it more classic/conservative, bringing them in makes them more edgy. Honestly I don't think it's worth fretting over that much, it can be a pretty subtle difference and is also affected by size of deltoids, sleeve length and biceps/triceps, etc.

you may be right, but those aren't very good pics to demonstrate since one jacket is zipped and one is open. shoulders will always hang more slack with a jacket open and tighten up when closed.

stick

Reaction score
Mine doesn't.
peepwall[1].gif
My DR is slim enough in the shoulders and arms that unzipping it doesn't cause the upper block to sag uncontrollably loosely. With a slimmer fit the shoulders aren't going to fall apart, the jacket will continue to hug the shoulders while the loose front body falls around the arms.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by puddin
you may be right, but those aren't very good pics to demonstrate since one jacket is zipped and one is open. shoulders will always hang more slack with a jacket open and tighten up when closed.

my black 2010 dr is definitely a bit big all around on me, to the point that I think about selling it every now and then (my moto is too big in the shoulders as well but it has higher armholes, slimmer body and arms so it looks great in comparison).

DISCOtecizzz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Toj Varsity size 45 or 46...

I'd like a black body / white sleeves, but I'll entertain the idea of any color.

Help a dude out, please!

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eseanyang
unfortunately for a poor student like me...
ffffuuuu.gif

Unfortunately for someone with a mortgage like me ... I've been saving up for 5 months and only have $400.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mreggen
I'm a ToJ-noob trying to get some sizing help over email with them (first purchase so I have no reference), and I'm kinda getting this feeling;

1447.jpg

Is this normal? Something related to it being 8:30 am KST perhaps.

Sorry for our friendly customer service
ffffuuuu.gif

echau

Reaction score
Now I'm second guessing myself.
I ordered the Minimalist DR in black lamb, size 48, with 0.75" added to the sleeves and 0.5" added to the body, putting the front length at 22.6" and the back length at 25.2".
I'm 5'10" and I'm not sure if I should keep those measurements or add another 0.5" to the body to bring it to a total of 1" added body length.
Any suggestions?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I feel bad for squabbling over a half inch.
frown.gif

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by echau
Now I'm second guessing myself. I ordered the Minimalist DR in black lamb, size 48, with 0.75" added to the sleeves and 0.5" added to the body, putting the front length at 22.6" and the back length at 25.2". I'm 5'10" and I'm not sure if I should keep those measurements or add another 0.5" to the body to bring it to a total of 1" added body length. Any suggestions?
i'm 5'11", have the 2010 DR and had 22.5 as my front. i now wish i had listened to charly and stayed with 21.5 for a more aggressive cut. up to you tho, if u want it a lil longer. might be perfect due to drews recommendations. DR looks better as an aggressive jacket.

digilypse

Reaction score
Is it ever allowed to change sizing after ordering? I am getting a bit paranoid about my shoulder sizing, since I wear 17" and sized up to a 47 shoulder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads