• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much do you work?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go a step farther and say that this young man shouldn't go to law school until hes spent a few years getting used to work.

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
I would go a step farther and say that this young man shouldn't go to law school until hes spent a few years getting used to work.

I'd rather hear more about your avatar, thanks.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is it about that picture of my mom that everyone likes so much?

mr. magoo

Reaction score
what is it about that picture of my mom that everyone likes so much?

Please tell me you were breast-fed.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
Does anybody know approximately how many hours lawyers work in biglaw in different cities? I'm planning on going to law school in the fall, and turned down a job to do it that just sounds sweeter and sweeter as time goes on. 40-50 hours/week, 6 figures right out of college, sweet signing bonuses, stock options at a hot company (a social network)... all to work crazy-hard for at least the next 10 years, hopefully make partner, and then apparently die rich but unhappy.

I was hoping that working in IP law could give me the 40-hour workweeks and corporate salaries that I'm shooting for - does anybody know if this is possible?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should have taken that job. I know that patent lawyers usually have more regular hours than most attorneys though.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
You should have taken that job. I know that patent lawyers usually have more regular hours than most attorneys though.

lol oh well. at least this way i can wear suits more often.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by godofcoffee
lol oh well. at least this way i can wear suits more often.

I shouldn't overstate my point here. I make six figures right now and work a pretty reasonable schedule. I'm a plaintiffs attorney in a small firm, which means there are no billable hours. On the other hand, it means that my pay is based on what I bring in, so I might make 20k one month and 5k the next. And while I do have big cases, a lot of that involves grinding it out at 500 or 600 bucks a pop.

godofcoffee

Reaction score
I shouldn't overstate my point here. I make six figures right now and work a pretty reasonable schedule. I'm a plaintiffs attorney in a small firm, which means there are no billable hours. On the other hand, it means that my pay is based on what I bring in, so I might make 20k one month and 5k the next. And while I do have big cases, a lot of that involves grinding it out at 500 or 600 bucks a pop.

A pop = a case or an hour? Also, it seems like a lot of people these days consider biglaw but drop it because of the hours/dickhead partners/bureaucracy. Did you consider that?

I'd be really interested to get your perspective over PM, if you're willing to share.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not that I'm NOT used to work. I worked through college, I work now. But I'd much rather work 4 days a week and take the pay cut.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Magoo, a former colleague of mine recently left the political world (his last stint was in fundraising) to become a development guy at a local non-profit. He loves it. Like you said, tons of women, great hours.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I call bullshit on most of these guys in this thread.

dont go getting all "Woe is me! I work 100 hours a week! 8 days a week!" when you have more than 1,000 posts on SF.

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19

dont go getting all "Woe is me! I work 100 hours a week! 8 days a week!" when you have more than 1,000 posts on SF.

Maybe most of those posts happen at work?
laugh.gif

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19

This is idiotic. Things you do in your free time, or in a downtime at work, are indicative of not working how? By your logic if you do anything outside of going home, eating, and then sleeping, you aren't really working either? People that get paid salary and/or work in jobs where they have to, y'know, think... are never expected to work at 100% every second they're in the office.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics