• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time has come, Manhattan here I come

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I lived in that area as a child, when it was called Harlem.
I think Morningside Heights is the high part, to the west of Morningside Park, as is seen on this map. Harlem is to the east. Bloomingdale is the earlier name of Morningside Heights. It was the name of the asylum on the property that Columbia purchased for its move uptown early in the last century.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I agree that Brooklyn has changed ... as I noted above. It's not as if I'm unfamilar ... in fact, I still maintain living quarters in New York and do -- from time to time -- make it to Brooklyn. I know what it offers and yet I've not found myself thinking that I might want to live there. This is not to say it isn't the right place for others.

casebrooklynlc6.jpg

Catalyst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
Make a mental note that I ran into this and there was a major problem. I have a base of $35000 with a commission structure on top. I needed guarantors for my apartment in QUEENS. NY state law requires the guarantors to be located in the state of NY. If you don't have any family from here then you are kinda screwed on this one. I got a job here before I moved here. Can't imagine going about it the way you are. May I suggest looking into Sunnyside, Queens. I have been living here 3 months and it is wonderful. I am one block from the 7 train which gets me to grand central in 15 min. Rent is in the $1000-1500 for a 1 bedroom. From someone who hasn't lived here long this isn't worth much but I feel as if Sunnyside has retained the classic melting pot feel that is now commercialized within Manhattan.
This is great advice, and something I probably wouldn't have found out until I got there. I will research Sunnyside.
Originally Posted by bwonger06
Don't let others try to discourage you. Just two anecdotes (both guys from state schools in AZ both within past year)... A buddy of mine graduated without a job. He went and travelled Europe for about a month or two before moving to New York with no job. He busted his ass off, took an unpaid internship and was able to land an analyst position at Barclays within 3 months. Another friend graduated a semester early, interned for free at a local bank. He made a trip to NYC after calling several MD's and he used his foreign background and soccer passion to connect with MD's at a Latin America Emerging Markets group at a top bank. There are so many people landing spots at big banks, just make sure you know your stuff when it comes to interviews because one little **** up will throw you out of the candidacy pool. Have a good story and enjoy your time there because you will want to kill yourself after you start working (assuming you get one of the 65+ hour jobs).
This is inspiring, and I thank you for posting it; I'm very interested to know how much your buddy spent traveling through Europe? As odd as it may sound, I'm not worried about whether or not I will get a position once I move there.
revolve.gif
Originally Posted by haganah
Btw, here's something funny for you, a lot of the children that grew up on the UWS moved to Brooklyn post college. Many of their parents also followed them. The UWS really is like a black hole for life and culture, but perhaps in your circles there are more happenings up there. I like my new neighborhood, and my coveted key to the park that I never use but casually drop into conversations (like so).
Brooklyn Heights? Or where did they move to? After some more research, it seems UWS might not be as ideal as I thought.
Originally Posted by Piato
OP, if you're looking for places to live without much personal context, you could do much worse than Nate Silver's NYC livability index. Notice that Brooklyn has more spots in the top ten than Manhattan. Nearly everyone under 30 lives there--seriously.
Thanks for this, very interesting. I did the calculator, and it said my top 3 were: Tribeca, East Village, West Village. Any thoughts? After hearing all this Brooklyn talk, and using the calculator, I'd like to learn more about Brooklyn Heights.
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I have several different friends who have lived in Manhattan all their lives and they either have or are moving to Brooklyn.
How old are they?
Originally Posted by HRoi
Mmmm...I can't get a job out there so I will just move out there and hopefully I'll get that job. Something is wrong with that logic, but maybe it's just me....
It's definitely you.
Originally Posted by Fuuma

Fuuma, I can't believe we made it this far without that link. It's not my style, and I hope it's not indicative of your other 19,000 contributions, but at least this thread has some tunes now.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Mmmm...I can't get a job out there so I will just move out there and hopefully I'll get that job.

Something is wrong with that logic, but maybe it's just me....

It worked for me. If I want to be somewhere ... I do what it takes to be there.

Life is too short to waste living somwhere other than where you really want to live. Make it happen.

KPO89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
why anyone would want to live in nyc is ******* beyond me

I am inclined to agree with this one. I suppose some people may find it appealing but it is a very tough place to adapt too. True New Yorkers are really just crazy people they let roam the streets.

I never "wanted" to move here. My job brought me here. If you think it is glamour think again...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
why anyone would want to live in nyc is ******* beyond me

I am inclined to agree with this one. I suppose some people may find it appealing but it is a very tough place to adapt too. True New Yorkers are really just crazy people they let roam the streets.

I never "wanted" to move here. My job brought me here. If you think it is glamour think again...

So much depends upon whether one lives or one just exists. Liking or disliking New York depends greatly the degree to which one is inclined to use what the city offers.

I'm a classical music fan and NYC gives me more options than anywhere else in this country. In many cities one is hard pressed to find a classical event on a daily basis, in New York it's more a matter of deciding which to forego.

I also enjoy dining out. When I'm in the City, that's something I do at least once a day. I also enjoy eating a late dinner ... and few places -- again, in this country -- afford me that option as does New York.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you think it is glamour think again...
New York can be very "glamourous" ... but as always ... glamor is costly. On the other hand glitter is cheap ... and New York offers that in spades.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Catalyst
Fuuma, I can't believe we made it this far without that link. It's not my style, and I hope it's not indicative of your other 19,000 contributions, but at least this thread has some tunes now.

You can do it, carpe diem my friend! Yay!

WTF did you expect?

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
So much depends upon whether one lives or one just exists. Liking or disliking New York depends greatly the degree to which one is inclined to use what the city offers.

I'm a classical music fan and NYC gives me more options than anywhere else in this country. In many cities one is hard pressed to find a classical event on a daily basis, in New York it's more a matter of deciding which to forego.

I also enjoy dining out. When I'm in the City, that's something I do at least once a day. I also enjoy eating a late dinner ... and few places -- again, in this country -- afford me that option as does New York.

I will add, as we are all on styleforum, that New York is the best place in the country and one of the best places in the world for clotheshorses.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You were on to something, moving to Sunnyside and all, but as a "True New Yorker" (born and raised in Queens) that's a bit hard for you, as an out of towner, to really affirm.

As other have pointed out OP, kop your plane/bus/train ticket, get up here and do what you have to in order to live like you want to.

newyork.craigslist.org should be an interesting learning experience for you in the near future.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Washington is a much more livable city than NYC. I don't hate NYC...I enjoy visiting and all that, but Washington just has a certain feel to it that really draws me in.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I think Washington is a much more livable city than NYC. I don't hate NYC...I enjoy visiting and all that, but Washington just has a certain feel to it that really draws me in.
To say a place is more livable without giving reasons ... or to let us know that it has a certain feel without telling us what the feel is ... well that doesn't tell us much.

Washington and New York are two very different places.. Which place one likes more will depends so much on individual personality and what one is seeking. I've expressed above -- in one or more of my miltiple posts -- what I seek. Unless one offers-up "the why" ... it isn't very helpful.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
New York can be very "glamourous" ... but as always ... glamor is costly. On the other hand glitter is cheap ... and New York offers that in spades.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Connemara

I would say that the D.C. area is very cosmopolitan without the hustle and bustle of NYC. On the same note, the D.C. area has much less nightlife and performing arts than NYC.

The more I visit other countries, the more I realize you can find anything you want in NYC so long you can pay for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads