• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by derrickrose1
Thoughts on the fit? How does it look? What alterations need to be done?

This suit may or may not have cost me a grand total of $8.38.

P3240212.jpg

It's too big all around. It's AT LEAST one size too big. Honestly, it's not gonna fit even with alterations. Don't worry, most of us have made this mistake.
Best bet is to try to sell it on ebay or something. Or try to trade it with someone.

JKMWCL

Reaction score
The suit is definitely too big for you but I might be wearable with a considerable amount of tailoring. Good news is that at the price you "may or may not" have paid for it, you can afford some tailoring! Who's the maker?

EDIT - dang sorry, didn't mean to pile on. Posted before I saw the other responses. I would have to agree that you should probably sell it to someone that it actually fits.

Chico2007 - nice buy on the BB suit!

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This suit may or may not have cost me a grand total of $8.38.

What's with the "may or may not"? Even if it was of interest, is there a reason to be coy about the price?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tyrone MacStiophain;4272782 said:
Good call. I should have some time to blaze through the pants section before I go to work tomorrow.

I did a search for the pants today, and found several that belonged with *some* jacket, but not with the lovely Zegna. DRAT.

I also passed on some Bruno Magli short boots, b-c they were size 13, and I'm 9.5. But I may swing back and pick them up for flipping tonight. It looks like they do OK on the Ebays.

derrickrose1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
What's with the "may or may not"? Even if it was of interest, is there a reason to be coy about the price?

lol kind of just a phrase, i guess? thought it was pretty clear that meant i DID pay only $8 for it.

anyway, thanks for responses, everyone. i'll probably just get rid of it, i dont think it is worth the amount of tailoring that (apparently) would have to go into it.

SIDE QUESTION: where the hell do all of you shop that you find some of the stuff that you do? i'm a grad student so i'd love to be able to save some money.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SIDE QUESTION: where the hell do all of you shop that you find some of the stuff that you do? i'm a grad student so i'd love to be able to save some money.

There are two answers to that question: one that makes a huge difference and one that doesn't. The answer that makes a huge difference is: in a big city where there are lots of people with money and a good number of high-end retailers. If you want to reap, there have to be people sowing.

The answer that doesn't make much difference is: "I shop at [X store in my city.]" Within any given city, 80-90% of effective thrifting is not where you shop but how, when, and especially how often you shop. The guys like frenchy and Nataku who routinely post huge finds live in places where the pickings are good, yes, but they also work hard at it, visiting several stores a week.

Navi

Reaction score
Felt like doing a little thrifting before work today since I had an hour before I had to leave, and I finally found some good ****!

Found a 100% cashmere Brown/ollive windowpane Brioni sportscoat
Luciano Barbera sportcoat with a houndstooth-like pattern
"Steed" brand monks that fit me perfectly. Dunno this brand but I like the look and they're comfy!

I'll post some pics later since I'm not sure how much the jackets are worth. They're in pretty huge sizes so that probably lowers te value but for 5.99 each....

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I also passed on some Bruno Magli short boots, b-c they were size 13, and I'm 9.5. But I may swing back and pick them up for flipping tonight. It looks like they do OK on the Ebays.

I would suspect that Bruno Maglis sell relatively well on eBay, but I'd do some investigating of sales prices of size 13s before buying for the flip.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it is just as much a matter of "how often" than it is of "where". I don't find the uber-fabulous brands where I am, but I find some great stuff and it is just a matter of persistence.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha, me too. I've just been at it a few months, but I'll echo everyone else: it's probably more about how often than how many... That said, It might help to ask a store manager whether they have central distribution; i.e. whether everything donated gets mixed up and shipped to all stores in your city, or if their distribution is localized, meaning all the stuff donated from one neighborhood ends up at the same store. (Like I'm convinced that Dallas is strictly local, and that csoukoulis is shopping just a stone's throw away from George Michael's house
laugh.gif
; whereas in my area, I found a sweet HF suit one day, then two more at different stores the following week, all from the same original owner). As far as where to shop, Goodwill and Salvation Army seem pretty ubiquitous. Google the Junior League and see if they run a store in your area. I have a friend on that crew (apparently an organization of young women devoted to being young women, or...something. Not even the members know.) their stores weed out all the crap and sell mostly stuff you'll want. Also, my phone's been trying to send this message for like three hours, so apologies if this has all been said...

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
I would suspect that Bruno Maglis sell relatively well on eBay, but I'd do some investigating of sales prices of size 13s before buying for the flip.

Or don't research, buy them, and sell them far under their actual value to me.
devil.gif

hyakku

Reaction score
Wow, seriously nice find on that Busta Rhymes disc, really sick.

As for your other finds, pretty solid, a lot of good to wear clothes there, although if I were you I'd return the Burberry's or try to flip it. They aren't bad, and if they fit, look good and weren't too much than keep them as I believe they are still half canvassed, etc. But if you did pay a decent amount (<$20, maybe even less imo depending on where you are), you might want to consider returning it and spending it on something a bit more "thrift worthy" (not that Burberry's probably doesn't make decent clothing, but with patience and given that you are in the right spot I guarantee you can find yourself a Canali at the least).

andrew96

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hyakku
Wow, seriously nice find on that Busta Rhymes disc, really sick.

As for your other finds, pretty solid, a lot of good to wear clothes there, although if I were you I'd return the Burberry's or try to flip it. They aren't bad, and if they fit, look good and weren't too much than keep them as I believe they are still half canvassed, etc. But if you did pay a decent amount (<$20, maybe even less imo depending on where you are), you might want to consider returning it and spending it on something a bit more "thrift worthy" (not that Burberry's probably doesn't make decent clothing, but with patience and given that you are in the right spot I guarantee you can find yourself a Canali at the least).

I'm flipping it, along with everything else. I have recently gotten back into picking through this forum. I've still got more to post as well.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Felt like doing a little thrifting before work today since I had an hour before I had to leave, and I finally found some good ****!

Found a 100% cashmere Brown/ollive windowpane Brioni sportscoat
Luciano Barbera sportcoat with a houndstooth-like pattern
"Steed" brand monks that fit me perfectly. Dunno this brand but I like the look and they're comfy!

I'll post some pics later since I'm not sure how much the jackets are worth. They're in pretty huge sizes so that probably lowers te value but for 5.99 each....

what size is the brioni?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads