• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased these and wanted feedback on uses. The top is AF blue and the bottom is what it is with some faint blue.
Fred23ad002.jpg

Fred23ad004.jpg

courty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
The Solaro dream is over.

Time to revisit the spring/summer suitings thread.

Don't let the dream die. I have one Solaro suit (herringbone) and am ready for another. It wears hot in the summer but, to me, so does everything else. But Solaro is unlike any other cloth and a real pleasure to wear.

Dormeuil had a solaro-like herringbone tweed in the Dormysport book. I think its gone now but I regret not getting it as a cold weather counterpart to the traditional Solaro suit.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
d64865a9.jpg

I have a sportcoat from this one - very beautiful - I highly recommend it.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I love that 36532

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Moonbeam samples.

Ed - which of the Lesser summer fabrics did you end up going with?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm still looking for the perfect hot summer conservative business dress cloth...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Don't think it exists unfortunately. I do have some lightweight Minnis Fresco 0500 (medium gray) waiting to get made up which Kolecho and others have said is the best lightweight porous material they've encountered. We'll see!
I just picked up some Minnis 0500 (lower left) for a SB summer suit. Anyone have thoughts about patch vs. flap pockets with this? I don't work in a conservative business dress enviro. Going for whatever looks good/right. The other two (P&H Glorious Twelfth and Dunhill Mohair/Wool) shall remain unfunded at the moment.
liabilities.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Patch! Patch! Patch!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Glorious Twelfth is fast becoming the unofficial SF gunclub.

I think I'd go with flap on the 500.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This cloth screams flaps to me.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
I love that 36532

That's the one I ordered...

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I have a sportcoat from this one - very beautiful - I highly recommend it.

I will get this one as soon as I can assess how the first makes up. Had some difficulty deciding between the two.

Originally Posted by TRINI
Ed - which of the Lesser summer fabrics did you end up going with?

I'm a little torn on this, to be honest. I have a number of Lesser 8oz and Cape Kid 8oz swatches, and while the fabric is beautiful and springy I'm trying to visualize if it's substantial enough to make up well. I get my Tonik 2000 suit from Mina in 2 weeks, and may hold off until I tool around in that one a bit.

As a consolation, I ordered a suits-length of Lesser 9/10 oz in a dark grey PoW without overcheck and a jackets-length of the salt & pepper Barbera for Lesser that Kolecho was flogging. I also need to huddle up with Parker and rummage through his warm-weather swatch library.
biggrin.gif

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I just picked up some Minnis 0500 (lower left) for a SB summer suit.
liabilities.jpg

That's a lovely shade, K. I'd go flaps on that one, myself.

cronicmole

Reaction score
Just got samples from Hunt and Winterbotham. Minnis 55145,Fresco 0516 and Airborne 0406...Airbone is TOO light. 7oz. Think I'm going to make a suit from the Minnis. I prefer it over Fresco

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a little torn on this, to be honest. I have a number of Lesser 8oz and Cape Kid 8oz swatches, and while the fabric is beautiful and springy I'm trying to visualize if it's substantial enough to make up well. I get my Tonik 2000 suit from Mina in 2 weeks, and may hold off until I tool around in that one a bit.

As a consolation, I ordered a suits-length of Lesser 9/10 oz in a dark grey PoW without overcheck and a jackets-length of the salt & pepper Barbera for Lesser that Kolecho was flogging. I also need to huddle up with Parker and rummage through his warm-weather swatch library.
biggrin.gif

Cool - please keep us posted. I requested some spring/summer suiting recommendations from Isles today but specified nothing below 9oz.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Flaps it is.

E, I've got a bunch of linen samples I can show you when you're in town.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads