• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Albam Clothing

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received this from Albam:

Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately it is the last run of Albam products produced at Stevenage Knitting Co.

We defiantly agree that this is a disaster and a loss for British manufacturing as a whole.

Please feel free to get in touch if we can assist you further.

Best wishes,

It makes me
ffffuuuu.gif
when awesome things come to an end.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hoit1981

Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately it is the last run of Albam products produced at Stevenage Knitting Co.

We defiantly agree that this is a disaster and a loss for British manufacturing as a whole.

Please feel free to get in touch if we can assist you further.

Best wishes,

It makes me
ffffuuuu.gif
when awesome things come to an end.

I hear ya. It's especially a shame because many of us are only recently being introduced to great old mills like Stevenage via shops like Albam. There is clearly a renewed interest in quality products manufactured in the UK, US, etc. I sometimes wonder if, lately, companies like Alden and Quoddy don't have orders coming out of their ears. There's also lesser known companies like Columbiaknit in Portland, Oregon, and Centralia Knitting Mills in Centralia Washington, that are being asked to create knits for start-ups (like Archival Clothing) that want stuff that was knitted the way it was years ago. No doubt Stevenage knows its business. But still, it's too bad they couldn't have held on a little longer to assess whether all this renewed interest might translate to enough increased demand for Stevenage products that would allow them to continue & possibly flourish. We'll never know. Let's just hope that Albam will continue to introduce us to gems like it's done in the past with the Fisherman's Cagoule and the the Winter Irwin Shawl Cardigan.

Rayson

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what Albam does now. I'd written in my blog earlier this year how the company sells that beautiful Irwin cardigan each spring and winter, as if it'd go on forever.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We should be producing the Irwin Shawl in the future but as of yet I have no specifics on the plans for this. With regards to factories, there are still a few decent manufacturers within the UK as well as brands like ourselves that are willing to use them i.e. Old Town and Nigel Cabourn.

I am unfortunately unable to provide any details regarding new factories we may be using. Apologies about this.

Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you with anything else.

All the best,

So, it should be interesting to see what an updated Irwin Shawl made for Albam by a different manufacturer would be like...

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by baba booey
I picked up the chunky zip cardigan and the Irwin shawl that are both made by Stevenage Knitting Co, very nice. I went tts, and they fit great. If there is an American stockist I would love to know because I got nailed with customs on my order.
How did the customs issue work out? Did you need to go somewhere to pick up the package and/or pay duty?

CEE88

Reaction score
So, I've been waiting for what seemed like an eternity for my Winter Irwin Shawl Collar Cardigan from Albam (partially because it had to clear customs but mostly because I just couldn't patiently wait!).

Then this morning I happened to read or hear (I can't even remember which) that today is Steve McQueen's birthday (he would've been 81). And Steve was known to sport a sweater very similar to the Irwin model from Albam:

2SaURl.jpg

So, what arrives in the mail today, direct from jolly 'ole England?

IsTAsl.jpg

I may end up looking more like Mr. Rogers than Steve McQueen, but I must admit I feel a tiny bit cooler just for having this wonderful garment (knitted by Stevenage Kniting Co, which has decided to cease operation) by my side.

Here's some additional information from a very entertaining blog: http://stevemcqueenstyle.blogspot.co...cardigans.html

http://www.albamclothing.com/product...r-cardigan.asp

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice cardi. It's always sad when great manufacturers go extinct. And thanks for cropping out Steve McQueen's ding dong.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Nice cardi. It's always sad when great manufacturers go extinct. And thanks for cropping out Steve McQueen's ding dong.
Hah ... if people want the real thing it's easily found on the net. I wanted to keep the focus on Steve's cardi.

Please excuse the poor quality of these photos, but here's a shot of the Stevenage "A Whaler Sweater" label, found along the side seam:

oCRHel.jpg

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The knit looks an awful lot like one of my Cabourn sweaters. I wonder if they made it.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hoit1981
And how is the construction of the Whaler? Let me guess... you're feeling so happy about it that you want to whip your knob out too?
thaaat's-right.

The only thing about the sweater is this: the pockets on the front appear, from certain angles, in certain light (sunlight, as opposed to articial lighting) to be of a slightly different color from the rest of the sweater. I'm not sure what Steve would say about it, or if he'd tell me to go get my %%*@%#$8& eyes examined.

CEE88

Reaction score
Okay, here's the situation -- love my Winter Irwin Shawl Cardigan ... except I notice something peculiar about how it looks in certain lighting.

indoor lighting
UUAZxl.jpg

lots of natural/outdoor lighting
R4nXpl.jpg

Assuming you can see the color difference, I have three questions: First, is it supposed to look different (and, if not, what would cause this 'imperfection' - a different run of wool)? Second, does it matter? Third, any possible solutions (besides confining it to indoor use
smile.gif
)? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads