• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Suit looks above average. Could use more chest to give a V line to the opening between the lapels rather than the U shape it has. This is common to Asian tailors as Asian men have very different chest shapes. It has more to do with the canvass than the cutting of the cloth.
You're low on the right shoulder but not just at the tip of your shoulder but at the neck as well. That is why the right side of the collar falls away from your neck more than the left side.
Addressing these two issues would bring a more refined look to the fit of the jacket

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOVE this fabric. Great choice. Suit looks great and screams "money" to me. I'm not crazy about such a wide lapel, but I'm not far off from fashion-suit land so don't listen to me on that front.

Great job!
smile.gif

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nilfire77
front.jpg

Your tailor do collar very poor,
it bulges out.
Many tailor make poor collar,
even big names.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Suit looks above average. Could use more chest to give a V line to the opening between the lapels rather than the U shape it has. This is common to Asian tailors as Asian men have very different chest shapes. It has more to do with the canvass than the cutting of the cloth.
You're low on the right shoulder but not just at the tip of your shoulder but at the neck as well. That is why the right side of the collar falls away from your neck more than the left side.
Addressing these two issues would bring a more refined look to the fit of the jacket

You have now gotten me compulsively examining my chest shape as an Asian man.
confused.gif

Can you elaborate more on this? I also use Iris -- but I might have a more typical "white" guy build as I'm pretty large and athletically built.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn
Well are they or aren't they? They look a bit wide and from the back there is fabric bunching up under both armpits. The fabric bunching could be from the cut there, could be the jacket needs steamed, or could be shoulders are too wide. My hunch is that if the shoulders were slightly narrower the fabric bunching would be gone.

The "fabric bunching" is intentional - it's intended to leave room to move your arms.

Originally Posted by yeeth
wow.
hmmm is it just me or is there something a little off about your left (right in the pic) shoulder? doesnt look as straight as the other side...

Everyone has one lower shoulder.

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
very good.
I think the jacket is just a tiny bit tight in the waist and hip 1" total to let out
next go round they could reduce point to point 1/4" each side

You forgot about prominent calves... I think that the pants should be cut with more space at the back to account for the fact that you lock your knees when standing.

Chris-

Are you talking about a chest dart to address a forward chest?

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
You have now gotten me compulsively examining my chest shape as an Asian man.
confused.gif

Can you elaborate more on this? I also use Iris -- but I might have a more typical "white" guy build as I'm pretty large and athletically built.

Let's see what Chris says about a forward chest. And Mina won't like you running around behind her back
smile.gif

dbc

Reaction score
Suit looks above average. Could use more chest to give a V line to the opening between the lapels rather than the U shape it has. This is common to Asian tailors as Asian men have very different chest shapes.

Could you please explain this further? Are you saying that Asian men's different chest shapes mean a U shape is better?

To OP: How many fittings did you go for and how long was the entire process?Looks not bad at all. I have an odd jacket in the works at Iris, we'll see how that turns out.

nilfire77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
Your tailor do collar very poor,
it bulges out.
Many tailor make poor collar,
even big names.

Thanks for the comments. Do u have any pictorial example of how a perfect collar looks like? Or at least near perfect? Thanks again!

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. Do u have any pictorial example of how a perfect collar looks like? Or at least near perfect? Thanks again!

Not many tailor can do a proper collar,
but me try and find a picture in next couple of days.

nilfire77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Could you please explain this further? Are you saying that Asian men's different chest shapes mean a U shape is better?

To OP: How many fittings did you go for and how long was the entire process?Looks not bad at all. I have an odd jacket in the works at Iris, we'll see how that turns out.

I had a total of 5 fittings over a span of nearly 2 months. It was a busy period for Nani and co then.

dbc

Reaction score
I had a total of 5 fittings over a span of nearly 2 months. It was a busy period for Nani and co then.

Did the 5 fittings include measurements?

I assume you live in Singapore and picked in up recently?

nilfire77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
Did the 5 fittings include measurements?

I assume you live in Singapore and picked in up recently?

That's a yes for both questions.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
The "fabric bunching" is intentional - it's intended to leave room to move your arms.

Everyone has one lower shoulder.

You forgot about prominent calves... I think that the pants should be cut with more space at the back to account for the fact that you lock your knees when standing.

Chris-

Are you talking about a chest dart to address a forward chest?

Let's see what Chris says about a forward chest. And Mina won't like you running around behind her back
smile.gif

Were you one of the gents I met at Mina's last NYC trip or did you figure out my infidelity through post stalking?

Does this mean I'm a bad person for imagining parallel LH, NSM, Chan, and Iris Tailor commissions?
frown.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's where I know you from.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads