• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
So guess what? Six pairs of Aldens since October and nary a nod of acknowledgment from the unwashed masses until I start neglecting my short wing boots (Ravello, thank you) -- including major scuffage and non-buffing -- and they begin drawing compliments like nothing else has before. I've been wearing them with some cuffed APC New Standards. So for you guys with your gallery-lit Aldies sealed in Permamint, you're missing out. 'Just sayin'.
You're making it sound like one is actually supposed to wear Aldens.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
They are on the Barrie last. Interesting that the description says that they are a full size bigger than regular sizing, when most people go 1/2 size down. Why do you think that is?

Notice how the shoes look like they've been worn a week in the pictures? What's the deal with that?

mcross4

Reaction score
Recent acquisition: AF89 from Alden of Carmel. Black calf PT boot on the Leydon last. Commando sole is perfect for rainy days in San Francisco (like today).

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Notice how the shoes look like they've been worn a week in the pictures? What's the deal with that?

This is from their description

"Today's suede shoe feels more laid-back: We like them when they're scuffed up a bit and worn without socks."

They probably had some dude wear a pair for a week before they took their photos.

About the sizing, J Crew says size down 1/2 in their other Barrie offerings. Maybe the suede gives more.

CEE88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mediahound
Crew did the same thing with/to this boot http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/in...9204/19204.jsp
I admit I've gotten a "weathered look" item once or twice in my life (in the past, never again), but I just don't want my Aldens all done up like that. But it might be fun to see how they do it -- is it a skilled Alden craftsman who finishes a beautiful boot, looks at it admiringly, and then takes a circular sander to it? I remember seeing a video of a jean that was 'finished' by hanging it up outside and someone shot it with buck shot (from $50 to $250, just like that).

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
This is from their description

"Today's suede shoe feels more laid-back: We like them when they're scuffed up a bit and worn without socks."

They probably had some dude wear a pair for a week before they took their photos.

About the sizing, J Crew says size down 1/2 in their other Barrie offerings. Maybe the suede gives more.

Yeah, perhaps they are softer.

Originally Posted by CEE88
Crew did the same thing with/to this boot http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/in...9204/19204.jsp
I admit I've gotten a "weathered look" item once or twice in my life (in the past, never again), but I just don't want my Aldens all done up like that.

Agreed. I prefer to distress my shoes myself. They should look like they came off the factory floor when I receive them.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure those boots above come new - they just used photos of a used pair for the website. Not sure why, could confuse a lot of people.

They look like this (Moo's photo):

2iqmzvm.jpg

vivalet

Reaction score
I just got the black lady calf NST tankers from leathersoul. Absolutely stunning. Beautiful, but a little tight, around the toes. Not too short, but squeezing a little on the sides upfront -- in an aberdeen kind of way, if that makes sense. Will lady calf stretch a little?
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Is your size in stock?

norweejun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CEE88
... I remember seeing a video of a jean that was 'finished' by hanging it up outside and someone shot it with buck shot (from $50 to $250, just like that).

There's also these brogues from Gieves and Hawkes. People are crazy.
tumblr_ktkm2uVBio1qa2j8co1_500.png

unclesam099

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norweejun
There's also these brogues from Gieves and Hawkes. People are crazy.
tumblr_ktkm2uVBio1qa2j8co1_500.png

If anyone wants this treatment, I'd be happy to provide it for a minimal cost
biggrin.gif

Black Shell Longwing (Grant Last) and Natural Chromexcel PTB (Barrie) incoming tomorrow.... Hope I got the right sizes.

3 months, 4 pair of Aldens....... They are addicting!!

Renton

Reaction score
I've just started breaking in a pair of #8 ptb from Alden of New York. It's remarkable how hard it is to find anything on the barrie last in 10.5 EE but I'm on plenty of waiting lists.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2944b4h.jpg

cigar nst
argyles otc

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sb28ms.jpg

ravello ptb
argyles otc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads