• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suspenders with a tux?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only other thing I'll add is that I'd recommend ones which use cloth/textile attachments for the trousers, not leather. The leather attachments are a bit thicker and, especially under a vest or cummerbund, could make unnecessary bulges.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I thought a highly polished calfskin cap toe was acceptable, no?

No.
And the OP bought the tux. Why not spring for some proper shoes so that he will be rockin a proper outfit!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wear the braces, but please make sure they're real braces and not the cheesy clip-ons. I agree that you really should wear a cummerbund - it completes the outfit. I once shared your leeriness towards them but you really need to elongate your line with the 'bund. It's much more elegant.

I know it's probably heresy but I hate patent leather shoes. I much prefer a well-shined black shoe - a wholecut would be best IMO but a captoe is fine in my book.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
No.
And the OP bought the tux. Why not spring for some proper shoes so that he will be rockin a proper outfit!

I could have purchased the Allen Edmonds formal shoe, the Kendall, at a pretty strong discount, but I just don't like patent leather. I don't like the look or feel of a patent shoe, and I also want my feet to breathe. I normally don't wear black shoes, but the PAs are classic, and I'm sure they will be put to good use when I finish law school.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
I could have purchased the Allen Edmonds formal shoe, the Kendall, at a pretty strong discount, but I just don't like patent leather. I don't like the look or feel of a patent shoe, and I also want my feet to breathe. I normally don't wear black shoes, but the PAs are classic, and I'm sure they will be put to good use when I finish law school.

You'll be fine. You choice will only upset the pickiest of the bunch who would find fault elsewhere.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Highly-polished Park Avenues are the least of your sartorial transgressions. Two-button notched-lapel? Sorry, but you have not purchased a DJ. You have purchased a black suit. It doesn't make that much difference what accessories you wear with it. If it were an actual single-breasted DJ, then a cummerbund or a vest would be mandatory. And yes, you would need suspenders. As for you theory about peak lapels having high armholes and narrow sleeves, I think this pretty much covers it, wut? I am also concerned about your comment that you would have to spend $100 on alterations. Perhaps you meant $100 extra on alterations. But the absolute key to any RTW tuxedo is having it properly altered by an independent tailor, i.e., not the guy in the shop. You should expect to spend $100-$150 in alterations to make your new DJ your own. If you do, even an inexpensive one will look great. If you don't, it will almost certainly look like crap regardless of how much you paid for it.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Highly-polished Park Avenues are the least of your sartorial transgressions.

Two-button notched-lapel? Sorry, but you have not purchased a DJ. You have purchased a black suit. It doesn't make that much difference what accessories you wear with it.

If it were an actual single-breasted DJ, then a cummerbund or a vest would be mandatory. And yes, you would need suspenders.

As for you theory about peak lapels having high armholes and narrow sleeves, I think this pretty much covers it,

wut?

I am also concerned about your comment that you would have to spend $100 on alterations. Perhaps you meant $100 extra on alterations. But the absolute key to any RTW tuxedo is having it properly altered by an independent tailor, i.e., not the guy in the shop. You should expect to spend $100-$150 in alterations to make your new DJ your own. If you do, even an inexpensive one will look great. If you don't, it will almost certainly look like crap regardless of how much you paid for it.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...0734cat9050733
--> Armani Tux, notch lapel. Odds are, most wouldn't consider this a black suit.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_101492
--> My mistake, it is a 1 button. The Canali and Abboud I tried on were 2 button. Again, most wouldn't consider this a black suit. Just to clarify, I ordered it with flat-front pants, not the pleats.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't consider a notch lapel suitable for a tux. It is a casual **** You to the dress code. As for braces, you MUST wear it with a tux. And for shoes, they must be formal slippers/pumps, preferable to be black, midnight or navy, patterned too; patent leather, velvet or suede.

f-tard

Reaction score

I'm in the same boat as you. Just picked up a mtm tux and am on the hunt for some decent shoes to pair them with. I was thinking about PAs and putting a good shine to them, but now I'm leaning towards spending some extra for a pair of black calf wholecuts. This way I don't have to hear about the appropriateness of captoe for formal wear. You'll still catch some flack for it not being a pump or patent, but it's seamless and imo a much more modern look.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
I don't consider a notch lapel suitable for a tux. It is a casual **** You to the dress code. As for braces, you MUST wear it with a tux. And for shoes, they must be formal slippers/pumps, preferable to be black, midnight or navy, patterned too; patent leather, velvet or suede.

+1

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuktard
I'm in the same boat as you. Just picked up a mtm tux and am on the hunt for some decent shoes to pair them with. I was thinking about PAs and putting a good shine to them, but now I'm leaning towards spending some extra for a pair of black calf wholecuts. This way I don't have to hear about the appropriateness of captoe for formal wear. You'll still catch some flack for it not being a pump or patent, but it's seamless and imo a much more modern look.

Alden makes a plain toe plaza bal, but I didn't want to spend that much. The extra hundred was better allocated to investments, mortgage, etc. The PAs give me the most mileage for my dollar.

http://www.aldenshop.com/Store/DrawP...ageID=&Action=

I knew I would get hammered by some on the forum, but that's fine. Comes with the territory. I just needed to know if braces were a must. Seems so.

marg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
+1

You can +1 all you like, I think formal pumps look ridiculous. Velvet slippers, not so bad, but I prefer laceups.

f-tard

Reaction score
I knew I would get hammered by some on the forum, but that's fine. Comes with the territory. I just needed to know if braces were a must. Seems so.

Hah, if it makes you feel any better, I'm not wearing braces or a waist covering. I just didn't start a thread about it because I didn't want to feel guilty about doing so. Just keep the jacket buttoned.

Yeah, the mileage of a PA goes much further. Here's a black wholecut that's roughly the same price as that Alden. I'm not sure if that's a Cheaney or an Alfred Sargent though.

f-tard

Reaction score
You can +1 all you like, I think formal pumps look ridiculous. Velvet slippers, not so bad, but I prefer laceups.

And outside of this forum and other select small circles, formal pumps look like you stole something outta your girlfriends closet.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conservative 2-button, high notch jacket.

no cummerbund. not a fan. i just wanted to keep it simple.

facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads