• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pet hates

rmanoj

Reaction score
I think most people are going beyond the scope of the thread here. I said 'generally considered to fall in the spectrum of "classic style"', and a lot of the things being listed wouldn't meet that criterion in the first place.

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Argyle in general.....Fake Leather.........Oversized watches/bracelts/necklaces/shoes
ffffuuuu.gif

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
plain.gif

But it's a pet hate. I think that actually means he likes you.
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Came into this thread with a response about cat-based damage to my clothing. Evidently it isn't what I imagine.
Yes, but not the scratch based damage. The cat hair on everything based damage. And it's malting.
Originally Posted by dk123
Wholecuts.
That one single word makes me hate this whole thread.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must disagree with most of the above, except, maybe, the big watch hate.
I wear striped dress shirts to work most of the time and they look great.
Argyle socks are fine or not, depending on the combo.
Regarding black derbies, I think that three eyelets are OK.
Wholecuts are fine.
Etc.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
frown.gif

Ok I lied.

I quite like that grey suit pic.
satisfied.gif

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
The mechanized Frosty the Snowman that sings and dances, people who don't share bacon, my abusive son.

Oh, and possums.

laugh.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rmanoj
1. Ostentatious watches. I can't stand wristwatches unless they're on a plain leather strap and have very few special features.

You must be poor; so sorry for you.

2. Black derby shoes with more than two eyelets and no broguing. Just wear an Oxford ffs.

You must be poor; so so sorry for you.

3. Ankles on show when wearing long trousers. I loathe the no socks/ loafer socks look.

Must be real tough being poor

4. True 3-roll-2 coats. I can appreciate the appeal of the 3-roll-2.5, but not this. It strikes me as a fairly pointless affectation.

Poor and a bore! Oy!

5. Pleated trousers worn with a body coat. You can't apply the '30s aesthetic to everything. Slim, flat-front trousers complement a coat with a waist seam much better,

facepalm.gif

Sazerac

Reaction score
I'll second the bead bracelets and animated snowmen. But I refuse to get behind the people who don't share bacon thing. If you wanted bacon, you should ordered it! Portions of bacon are typically small, so every bite counts!

Style-wise, I cannot abide:

- skull and crossbones, or any cartoonish version thereof, on anything at all. Wearing a symbol of death and, more recently, the ******* SS, is not okay.

- fedoras. It looks ridiculous when you're not wearing a suit with it, and when you are, it looks like a costume. They have gone the way of spats. Let them rest in dignified peace.

- messenger bags or backpacks with anything besides casual wear. You are 30 and wearing a suit; get a case with handles and carry it.

- boring laptop briefcases. Have some imagination.

- ball caps in any context besides working out or playing a sport. You are not twelve and you do not have a slingshot in the back pocket of your bib overalls.

- hoodies on grown men. See rationale for ball caps.

- jeans with holes in them, undue wear & tear, and especially frayed cuffs for any context outside yard work or abject poverty. No explanation necessary.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cats.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Or people who refer to their pets as their kids.

Matt S

Reaction score
1. Ostentatious watches. I can't stand wristwatches unless they're on a plain leather strap and have very few special features.
2. Black derby shoes with more than two eyelets and no broguing. Just wear an Oxford ffs.
3. Ankles on show when wearing long trousers. I loathe the no socks/ loafer socks look.
4. True 3-roll-2 coats. I can appreciate the appeal of the 3-roll-2.5, but not this. It strikes me as a fairly pointless affectation.
5. Pleated trousers worn with a body coat. You can't apply the '30s aesthetic to everything. Slim, flat-front trousers complement a coat with a waist seam much better,

1. Worn with suits, I agree. But no problem with sportswear.
2. Worn with suits, again, I agree. I like 2/3-eyelet derbies with suits, but more eyelets than that and the shoes are too casual for a suit. I don't have a problem with 5/6-eyelet derbies worn casually, especially with brogueing.
3. I agree. I can't stand seeing ankles.
4. Yes, the lapel needs to roll.
5. I disagree here. Forward pleated trousers look just as appropriate with morning dress and white tie and flat front trousers do. However, I can't stand reverse pleat trousers with body coats.

Azzurri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
I'll second the bead bracelets and animated snowmen. But I refuse to get behind the people who don't share bacon thing. If you wanted bacon, you should ordered it! Portions of bacon are typically small, so every bite counts!

Style-wise, I cannot abide:

- skull and crossbones, or any cartoonish version thereof, on anything at all. Wearing a symbol of death and, more recently, the ******* SS, is not okay.

- fedoras. It looks ridiculous when you're not wearing a suit with it, and when you are, it looks like a costume. They have gone the way of spats. Let them rest in dignified peace.

- messenger bags or backpacks with anything besides casual wear. You are 30 and wearing a suit; get a case with handles and carry it.

- boring laptop briefcases. Have some imagination.

- ball caps in any context besides working out or playing a sport. You are not twelve and you do not have a slingshot in the back pocket of your bib overalls.

- hoodies on grown men. See rationale for ball caps.

- jeans with holes in them, undue wear & tear, and especially frayed cuffs for any context outside yard work or abject poverty. No explanation necessary.

+1

This is exactly my list as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics