• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoring an old Swaine Adeney Brigg attache - Photos

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
It's a pity what you have done to the case, slapping all kinds of stuff on it, when all it really needed was a moist cloth rub followed by some bridle feed.

Can you show me a before and after or what bridle feed can do? Would it have hidden the scuffs as well as what my technique did? If not, I am not sure I would be as interested in it...

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do with the hardware? Leaving them as is? Metal polishing? Replacing?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
What are you going to do with the hardware? Leaving them as is? Metal polishing? Replacing?

The locks and handle holdings were hand polished using Simichrome. The locks are 95% of the way there, and the handle fittings are about 75%. So after a little more polishing for the locks and a good bit more for the handle fittings, they should be done.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Interior:
6433gj.jpg

videocrew

Reaction score
It looked like crap before, it looks great now. There's a difference between patina and beat up.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
imo, the brass work took away a lot of character.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Do you mean it won't look good in an office setting? I am 50/50 on selling it.

Not sure what roofing it means.
redface.gif

As for a refurbish at a professional site... I am pretty sure this is not necessary. There is no need for major, massive overhauling as the stitching, interior, handle, and brass are near perfect.

It may depending on the office. If you were the type that thrifted most of your stuff then this would fit right in but I believe you go in crispy, even in SW&D see what I mean?

Back in the day we would take something that was no good anymore and see who 'roof it' or throw it up on the roof where it would be gone forever. So a broken (insert item) would take on a new use; something we could try to roof.

Yo, my phone keeps dropping calls!
Roof it, son
Werd. Imma bout to.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
imo, the brass work took away a lot of character.

Eh, it was too filthy looking, character or not.

Originally Posted by NORE
It may depending on the office. If you were the type that thrifted most of your stuff then this would fit right in but I believe you go in crispy, even in SW&D see what I mean?

Back in the day we would take something that was no good anymore and see who 'roof it' or throw it up on the roof where it would be gone forever. So a broken (insert item) would take on a new use; something we could try to roof.

Yo, my phone keeps dropping calls!
Roof it, son
Werd. Imma bout to.

Got it. Still unsure on keeping it or not. Wife wants me to sell it.

Azul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Eh, it was too filthy looking, character or not.

Got it. Still unsure on keeping it or not. Wife wants me to sell it.

keep it.

elgreco

Reaction score
I'm just curious what the balance of positive comments to negative comments would have been if Moo weren't the OP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads