• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
The top one looks wool to me, the bottom one cotton. Likely the bottom will always look more casual, less structured than the top. But yeah, it would look similarly casual.

i was thinking the top one was wool too. thanks.

AlexInExile

Reaction score
Hello. I'm in the market for a navy/blue suit that I can for both business and evening events. Is a cotton suit not appropriate for business? I really like this Burberry Prorsum suit and it fits my budget: link. Should I go with this or go the Thick as Thieves or Hickey route? Thanks.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to pick up an inexpensive tweed jacket from b&s, but I had a question on buttons:
IA32jackets293.jpg
What type are these considered? Leather? Are these considered outdated and should be replaced (I am 30 years old), or are they acceptable for a business casual / casual jacket?

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'm not entirely sure if they are my size, actually. I normally take an 11D, but I can't figure out what size these are - there is an 11 and a 12 on different parts of the inside of the uppers. As for actual fit, I have to say they are pretty spot on. So either they are a true 11, or Alden 12's fit like others 11/11.5.

xanatos

Reaction score
I've been searching for nice dress shirts for a long time.Im sick of jcrew banana republic club monaco wahtever crap else there is..Looking for MTM Bespoke in the Orange County, Ca area....is this impossible to find for a 28 year old that doesnt have tons of money to blow but will to drop 150 or a lil more for a shirt that actually fits right.
I heard things about Ascot Chang in La but dont know if its too pricey?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Hi all,
What type are these considered? Leather?

Are these considered outdated and should be replaced (I am 30 years old), or are they acceptable for a business casual / casual jacket?

The are leather covered... something. I saw those on Polo tweed jackets last fall, so they aren't outdated.

I think of them as entirely casual.

hst

Reaction score
I am usually a UK6 in CJ 337 or 348 last as well as EG 82 last. I am looking to get a pair of AE Strand in Shell. Should I be getting a US7C, 7D or 7,5C? Thanks!

Chico2007

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xanatos
I've been searching for nice dress shirts for a long time.Im sick of jcrew banana republic club monaco wahtever crap else there is..Looking for MTM Bespoke in the Orange County, Ca area....is this impossible to find for a 28 year old that doesnt have tons of money to blow but will to drop 150 or a lil more for a shirt that actually fits right.
I heard things about Ascot Chang in La but dont know if its too pricey?

Ascot Chang has some of their pricing listed on the website.

Also check out the moderntailor.com thread on here. Some people have had good luck, some not such good luck. But seems that if you can get the measurements correct that you can score some nice custom shirts. I think the Thomas Mason cloth is about $140 per shirt.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
For $800 you should have a lot of options. What exactly are you looking for - fabric, cut, etc.? Most major retailers will likely have sales starting soon.

Double vents, ticket pocket, navy or charcoal fabric with pin-stripes or window pane.

rnyc1

Reaction score
Hi,

Do they run True to size?

Normally I wear a 10 1/2 D.

For those Alden owners who also own AE Macneil's, I wear a 10D on Barrie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Double vents, ticket pocket, navy or charcoal fabric with pin-stripes or window pane.

Try RLBL on sale, BB Regent, or maybe Barney's or Saks during a sale.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnyc1
Hi,

Do they run True to size?

Normally I wear a 10 1/2 D.

For those Alden owners who also own AE Macneil's, I wear a 10D on Barrie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

MacNeil is on the 7 Last, which fits true to size.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aside from the OCBD it appears none of Brooks' dress shirts are still made in the USA. Can anybody confirm this? Have they outsourced their entire dress shirt production aside from the OCBD?

I still have several must-iron dress shirts from Brooks that are 3 or 4 years old that were made in the USA and I would like to supplement them if at all possible. The Brooks must-irons were a very good value for a workhorse dress shirt, sad to see them go.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Aside from the OCBD it appears none of Brooks' dress shirts are still made in the USA. Can anybody confirm this? Have they outsourced their entire dress shirt production aside from the OCBD?

I still have several must-iron dress shirts from Brooks that are 3 or 4 years old that were made in the USA and I would like to supplement them if at all possible. The Brooks must-irons were a very good value for a workhorse dress shirt, sad to see them go.

Many BB shirts are still made in the USA, you just have to look carefully. For example, this one is Egyptian cotton, woven in Italy, made in USA: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...ult_color=PINK

I would go further and said that most of the Luxury (sic) dress shirts are made in the US.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads