• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience

agoldf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
In my view, the proper thing to do here would have been to speak with Nick V. to attempt to resolve the matter before posting here in the first place. Of course, you're right that bad experiences should be aired just as much as positives ones, but I think you should have waited until the experience was complete before posting your tale.
Even if fixed that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Other than the title of the thread, the OP raised a valid issue and is updating the thread.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoldf
Even if fixed that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Other than the title of the thread, the OP raised a valid issue and is updating the thread.

qft

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoldf

The reason why I believe this thread to be pertinent is because many of us send expensive shoes in for repair and we should all be aware of possible mishaps/problems that have happened/might happen. These are things that we consider before making a decision whether or not to send in a pair of shoes.

classicusa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyasih
I agree. Nick may have something to say, as he may feel that I am talking disparagingly about him.

Well, if you think they should be private, why did you start this thread HERE in the first place? I don't know what your conversations with Nick have been, and I have no dog in this hunt---I don't even know him other than his postings here once in a while---but you started off all wrong, mon.

Why couldn't you show us your issue the same way you did, while withholding who the vendor was until you actually spoke with him? You still could have gotten the opinions you wanted---about the work---without bringing Nick into it before speaking with him.

Now, if you were dissatisfied with his solution, then by all means, let us know who it was and why you weren't happy.

I can see why ANYONE, regardless of profession, trade, position, etc., would be more than a bit miffed at the order of disclosure you've chosen. Always give a guy the opportunity to do the right thing---as you said, mistakes happen.

Would Nick have been less "defensive," and more willing to go the extra mile, if had you done it this way? ANY human being would have! You publicly embarrassed him on this board and are making people question his reputation before you even gave him a chance to rectify it. That's not right.

I am not saying they didn't make a mistake, but you made a big one by proceeding in this manner. If you are not happy with his solution Friday, THEN, by all means, vent.

You owe him an apology for the way you proceeded. Yeah, really. Sounds like he may owe you one---and a satisfactory solution---as well.

There a few lessons to be learned here by all of us.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
I have read every post in this thread and believe that the OP has handled the situation fine. I have no issue with him posting what he did and no issue with him referring the B. Nelson by name -- and, for the record, I am a repeat B Nelson customer.

The OP is basing his posts on facts and actual events, he did take his shoes to B Nelson, he did have a nail/hole in his shoe when he got them back...I see no problem with him stating this on this forum. He really hasn't jumped to any conclusions, but is just reporting on his experience (to date).

The situation is currently fluid, that should be obvious to everyone, and I am sure if it reaches a pleasant conclusion we will all hear about it. Until then, I will enjoy reading the updates rather than a 5 page recap post.

Also, I think it is important to note that B Nelson has probably gotten several customers due to these boards. I know the only reason I ever thought to take my shoes to him was because of reviews and recommendations I read on here. B Nelson shoes, Nick V, and their work are definitely a relevant topic here. This interaction should not be kept private.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with aviator. It's not a matter of keeping it private. It's a matter of letting the story play out before posting it. Most lurkers here will not get past the first page (or perhaps even the title) before tuning out. The OP should have had more contact with B Nelson before posting. He may have been satisfied, he may not have been, but he could have summed up his positon, Nick's position, and the final outcome in the first post, and Nick could have responded.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by classicusa
Well, if you think they should be private, why did you start this thread HERE in the first place? I don't know what your conversations with Nick have been, and I have no dog in this hunt---I don't even know him other than his postings here once in a while---but you started off all wrong, mon.

Why couldn't you show us your issue the same way you did, while withholding who the vendor was until you actually spoke with him? You still could have gotten the opinions you wanted---about the work---without bringing Nick into it before speaking with him.

Now, if you were dissatisfied with his solution, then by all means, let us know who it was and why you weren't happy.

I can see why ANYONE, regardless of profession, trade, position, etc., would be more than a bit miffed at the order of disclosure you've chosen. Always give a guy the opportunity to do the right thing---as you said, mistakes happen.

Would Nick have been less "defensive," and more willing to go the extra mile, if had you done it this way? ANY human being would have! You publicly embarrassed him on this board and are making people question his reputation before you even gave him a chance to rectify it. That's not right.

I am not saying they didn't make a mistake, but you made a big one by proceeding in this manner. If you are not happy with his solution Friday, THEN, by all means, vent.

You owe him an apology for the way you proceeded. Yeah, really. Sounds like he may owe you one---and a satisfactory solution---as well.

There a few lessons to be learned here by all of us.

I was only referring to the back and forth between Nick and I.

All I have stated were events that happened and as they continue to happen. When resolved, that will be posted too. Everyone will have an opinion about how I choose to deal with this. I cannot control that, no more than I can control any other post on here. In the end, this is a public forum. I have repeatedly said I believe these are mistakes, I stated I would use B. Nelson's services again, should they want my business and those I have recommended. I stated this is not a Nick bash either.

I took shoes in, they got screwed up. I'm telling my experience. I will write how it gets resolved, nothing more, nothing less.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
I have used Nick's services in the past and found him to be a true pleasure to deal with, in terms of both customer service and end results, and I wouldn't hesitate to work with him in the future.

Not my experience unfortunately....FWIW.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont know how I feel about this thread. Like some previous members have stated, I think we have gone a little too far with this. Nick is an active member and has offered some really great professional advice free of charge. You are effectively talking **** about another member. Yes he represents the company but you should have gone through the proper channel (calling/contacting the company directly) before posting here.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on prima facie evidence, I would say that there is nothing wrong with the OP posting here. In fact, i find his subsequent responses here to be very level headed as well.

There are many examples posted in this forum where a case is opened by a dissatisfied customer and updated continually and the feedback has made the firm in question emerge all the better and ultimately in a better light when they are resolved. Going about to accuse a customer whether he is right or wrong has historically been to the detriment of the firm.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
I dont know how I feel about this thread. Like some previous members have stated, I think we have gone a little too far with this. Nick is an active member and has offered some really great professional advice free of charge. You are effectively talking **** about another member. Yes he represents the company but you should have gone through the proper channel (calling/contacting the company directly) before posting here.
I think people have gotten lost that I posted about damage done to $1200 (not a lot for many people on here) worth of shoes The CL's are an easy fix, I believe. But I don't what a hole does going forward-fine today problems tomorrow. What have I said about Nick?? Talking ****, please reference that post! I explained what a Business did to my property. I then relayed what an employee of the company stated and my dealings with said company. If you got a problem with that, tough. I have no problem with Nick, the person. And don't think I will have a problem with the company as it's being worked on. Friday will determine everything and how I proceed.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I agree with aviator. It's not a matter of keeping it private. It's a matter of letting the story play out before posting it. Most lurkers here will not get past the first page (or perhaps even the title) before tuning out. The OP should have had more contact with B Nelson before posting. He may have been satisfied, he may not have been, but he could have summed up his positon, Nick's position, and the final outcome in the first post, and Nick could have responded.
+1 For those others jumping aboard with bad experiences please a) elaborate & b) If you were left not satisfied, did you contact them, let them know and give them the chance to rectify it? Just to clarify not saying you shouldn't post a negative experience, those are just as valuable as positive ones, but having the whole situtation played out and then posted on just 1 post would be more useful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads