• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fluid/dynamic/ongoing B. Nelson Experience

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Yika
So the hole was not caused by the metal tap?

seems like it was, but let us hold opinion until final decisions are rendered

Staggerlee

Reaction score
As far I can tell from reading this thread OP got a hole nailed into his shoe and is being blamed because he requested the tap.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
This is the first I have gotten around to seeing this thread.
The title used by the OP, IMO shows bad intent. Only because He took the time to post before bringing the problem to my attention. The OP also was not forthcoming about our discussion today. He knows that I took the time to show and prove to him things that we were accused of doing, yet we had nothing to do with. Still, for good-will, we corrected. If he wants to explain, he can. He also knows that I suggested to Him on more than one occasion "use the flush mounted metal toe plates". Here's why, I can see how particular he is, fine. I see he enjoys wearing high-grade footwear. In that circumstance why would you to use a metal tap that you know has to get nailed on? Of course, we will do our best to rectify the complaints. This is not intended to be an attack on the OP, just a fair defense that I owe to myself. He knows....

Nick, I explained my experience thus far. I had no hole, B. Nelson put metal taps on and now I have a hole with a nail sticking through the leather. That is not a manufacturing defect and I asked you to pull it out then and there, which would have resolved everything. Taps or flush mounted plates, one should expect quality work. Explaining issues with other peoples shoes doesn't explain what happened to my shoes. In essence you said, "we worked on X, so I don't see how we could have damaged Y." I can provide the other pair of shoes that had polish on the back heels, although your worker was only putting on a front soles.

I am definitely not condemning all of your work and repeatedly stated that mistakes happen and I would use your services again. I am not attempting to ruin your reputation. This is not the forum for that, nor do I have the time or inclination to make up stories about damaged shoes.

As this gets resolved, which I hope it will. You will only get more people respecting your customer service.

sellahi22

Reaction score
This is the first I have gotten around to seeing this thread.
The title used by the OP, IMO shows bad intent. Only because He took the time to post before bringing the problem to my attention. The OP also was not forthcoming about our discussion today. He knows that I took the time to show and prove to him things that we were accused of doing, yet we had nothing to do with. Still, for good-will, we corrected. If he wants to explain, he can. He also knows that I suggested to Him on more than one occasion "use the flush mounted metal toe plates". Here's why, I can see how particular he is, fine. I see he enjoys wearing high-grade footwear. In that circumstance why would you to use a metal tap that you know has to get nailed on? Of course, we will do our best to rectify the complaints. This is not intended to be an attack on the OP, just a fair defense that I owe to myself. He knows....

I have used Nick's services in the past and found him to be a true pleasure to deal with, in terms of both customer service and end results, and I wouldn't hesitate to work with him in the future.

That said, I think it's important for a craftsman - especially a high end artisan who wishes to maintain a reputation for excellence - to firmly communicate the limitations of his work to laymen customers. If for whatever reason the OP wanted external metal taps, if Nick wasn't confident in his ability to deliver satisfactory results, he should have either refused the job or disclaimed responsibility for subpar results from the start. Also, if his expertise is in traditional mens footwear, he shouldn't take on jobs for high end women's shoes which present a different set of challenges.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyasih
Nick, I explained my experience thus far. I had no hole, B. Nelson put metal taps on and now I have a hole with a nail sticking through the leather. That is not a manufacturing defect and I asked you to pull it out then and there, which would have resolved everything. Taps or flush mounted plates, one should expect quality work. Explaining issues with other peoples shoes doesn't explain what happened to my shoes. In essence you said, "we worked on X, so I don't see how we could have damaged Y." I can provide the other pair of shoes that had polish on the back heels, although your worker was only putting on a front soles.

I am definitely not condemning all of your work and repeatedly stated that mistakes happen and I would use your services again. I am not attempting to ruin your reputation. This is not the forum for that, nor do I have the time or inclination to make up stories about damaged shoes.

As this gets resolved, which I hope it will. You will only get more people respecting your customer service.

You're not being fair, you know it.

NYCESQ

Reaction score
I have used B. Nelson for approximately 15 shoe repairs in the past 2 yrs. I always drop them off and pick them up in-person. In my opinion, they have always done very good work and I will continue to use them. However, I wanted to take this opportunity to let Nick V. know that I have experienced repeated frustration when the shoes are not ready by the date they are promised. This has happened to me on numerous occasions. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
to nick - we all live and learn. if you have to buy the guy a new pair of shoes - just do it. You put a hole in the man's shoe - the NAIL is sticking through. there is no debate. there is no patching, you owe him a replacement pair. High end men's shoes is expensive business and your rep is pristine.

Do the right thing.

BrooklynWeGoHard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCESQ
I have used B. Nelson for approximately 15 shoe repairs in the past 2 yrs. I always drop them off and pick them up in-person. In my opinion, they have always done very good work and I will continue to use them. However, I wanted to take this opportunity to let Nick V. know that I have experienced repeated frustration when the shoes are not ready by the date they are promised. This has happened to me on numerous occasions. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?

why dont you simply call in advance to verify your stuff is ready for pick up?

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What did I say incorrect? Our conversation was pleasant, you explained what you believed happened. I explained my experience. I did ask you to take the tap off, which would have proved or unproved my accusation. The majority of my posts have been in response to others.

Would you like me to recount the story about the Church's or the lady's shoes? That was two of the four scenarios that we spoke about. The other was mistakes happen and finally, we worked on x, cannot explain what happened to y.

Let me reiterate. I am fine with everything, Nick. Things are moving on and Friday will tell. I want this resolved. You may feel that I am on here with mal-intent, not the case. There are more powerful vehicles for that. Please read MY posts again. I am definitely chalking this up to mistakes, but I am not going to be blamed for choosing metal taps or getting polish on her shoes.

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gyasih
I agree. Nick may have something to say, as he may feel that I am talking disparagingly about him.
In my view, the proper thing to do here would have been to speak with Nick V. to attempt to resolve the matter before posting here in the first place. Of course, you're right that bad experiences should be aired just as much as positives ones, but I think you should have waited until the experience was complete before posting your tale.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How has he not been fair? Curious. I think that if he the OP asked for metal plates then it should be installed properly without nails sticking out (assuming that it wasn't like that in the first place). I understand that you might not have been able to do it, and if so, perhaps you could have rejected the order. You've got a great reputation around here! - would be a waste to see it go down the drain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads