• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ordered a bunch of C&J and quite dissapointed... am I missing something?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a member here for quite some time I finally decided to get some C&J's. So last week I ordered 5 pairs of C&J (all different lasts) in my correct size to see what I like. Here are the lasts I got:

I was quite dissapointed in the fit of all of them... but maybe I am just expecting too much? I have not owned nor worn alot of dress shoes in my life so please let me know if my experience is normal.

It seems like all of them (although they fit comfortably length/width wise) left a large vacant space between the vamp of the shoe and my foot... This in turn created significant wrinkling in the leather of that area and just felt weird. i knwo the shoe will most likely not hug my foot in that area but this wasnt even close, regardless of the last...

Besides the above major pet peeve, the 236 just felt too frumpy and Trad. But the worst was the 348 Hallam, the area described above literally pinched my foot, so bad it hurt to the point of being unable to wear them, I dont know if it was just the wrinkling of the leather of the cap toe stitch part bending into my toes.

The only possibly bearable one, was the 337.

My old Bruno Magli 'Maioco' captoes fit/felt 100x better than the Hallam, no gap in the vamp area of the shoe.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Those lasts may not be for you. Quality is no guarantee a shoe will fit well. Every pair of feet is different.

I figured if I tried just about every current last they make, one might work, each is quite different.

Originally Posted by rebel222
Is is possible that they are too long? Maybe you need to go down in size and up in width.

I thought this, but my heel is not slipping at all, which I assumed was the sign of a shoe being too long. big toe on left foot leaves about .5" and on right .75" (since right foot is a bit shorter than left.

I went with 9.5 E (10.5D) in all the above lasts. I do have a 9 E (10D) arriving in the 341 that I am going to try but have a strong feeling it'll be too short on my left foot.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Macallan

Reaction score
You are missing something ... Maybe the lasts do not suit your feet and maybe you needed a different size for certain lasts. There is no such thing as correct size. I have Church's in 7.5F, 8F and 8.5F; size required can vary between - i. lasts from the same brand and ii. dfferent shoe brands. I do find my C&J shoes need 'breaking in' whereas my other English shoes do not; however, that does not mean C&J's are inferior to similar brands.

Geezer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Those lasts may not be for you. Quality is no guarantee a shoe will fit well. Every pair of feet is different.

Exactly.

This is part of a long and boring post from me on a different shoe thread:

"Your feet are possibly the most complicated and most individual part of your body (no sniggering at the back please). The answer to all these "last X fits me, will last Y" or "I take a 12.5G in Berlutis, what will fit me in Allen--Edmonds seconds" posts is no-one really knows, except you when you try a specific pair on."

I'm in the same boat as you. I have in my long adult life bought precisely one pair of C and J's. They are probably my worst fitting pair of shoes, but they aren't awful and they were on heavy discount in a sale long ago. An hour spent annoying the very helpful people at the C&J shop more recently led me to the conclusion that there is NO combination at all of C&J sizing, width, and last that fits my feet.

The issue is not C&J, who make quite nice shoes. The issue is my feet, which don't fit them.

Ditto Cleverley RTW (another 20 minutes discovering my feet and their shoes really don't work). Ditto JLP. And respect for the guys at C&J, JLP, and Cleverley for not trying on some BS about how they'd wear in, or it was a cold day and they'd fit better when warm or whatever in the interests of a quick sale - all basically said "sorry - this doesn't work" and I said "OK, I'm buggering off back to EG and Fosters and quickly stopping by Church's to see if they still have any D fittings, coz I know they all fit me".

Edit: especially the guy at JLP on Jermyn St, because one of the pairs I tried on nearly fitted (less badly than my old C&Js), and were obviously very nice shoes, but he pointed out why they didnt quite fit welll enough. Maybe he was hoping for a bespoke order, but the fact that I was wearing well-fitting EGs probably told him that wasn't an option. That is what I call service.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well that is a fuckin bummer... I had already picked out a number of styles I really liked and was goin to stock my dress shoe collection... now back to the drawing board!

I may try the 337 on one more time, as I think it actually felt pretty good. I was really hoping the 348 worked. The problem is, I dont really know what else to look at locally (i.e., Boston).. cant afford EG, JL, Vass etc. yet, and not into the 'fashion' brands for dress shoes.

I am not really sure what else is avail. in boston area to try out besides maybe Santoni or Zegna xxx.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you bought 5 pairs of C&J, that has to be like 2 vass. could that be an option for you?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The correct size is whatever size fits your foot for that last and that manufacturer. I have 11D, 11.5D, 10.5F (UK), and 10F (UK) shoes that all fit nicely. It makes it very annoying to buy through the mail but there's really nothing you can do about it short of trying on every shoe in person.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
well that is a fuckin bummer... I had already picked out a number of styles I really liked and was goin to stock my dress shoe collection... now back to the drawing board!

I may try the 337 on one more time, as I think it actually felt pretty good. I was really hoping the 348 worked. The problem is, I dont really know what else to look at locally (i.e., Boston).. cant afford EG, JL, Vass etc. yet, and not into the 'fashion' brands for dress shoes.

I am not really sure what else is avail. in boston area to try out besides maybe Santoni or Zegna xxx.

How about instead of having 5 C&J, you get 2 EG's? Another thing is that shoes will form to your feet over time (breaking in). So of course, new shoes may not be as comfortable as your pair of Bruno Magli right now.

cronicmole

Reaction score
Who buys FIVE pairs of shoes instead of one test shoe from online?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luddite
I suspect the OP subscribes to the great internet "buy before you try, then return 90% of what you buy" philosophy.

Such philosophy is actually supported by many online retailer like Zappos. They encourage you to buy, and return if you want, shipping both ways are on them. They even have a TV ad for that.

chet31

Reaction score
For many of us, if we want EGs or C&Js, the Internet is the only option. As a customer, I am fine paying shipping both ways to try on shoes I do not have access to. As an online seller, I would recognize this and live with the fact I am going to get returns in exchange for sales I would not otherwise have had.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads