• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Jackets Getting Shorter?

jyook

Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted but I've noticed that jackets are getting shorter...

Is anybody digging this trend?

I like that suits have gone slimmer but I'm wondering what the SF consensus is on shorter jacket length...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would argue that jackets got shorter around 2003. It has been lingering, but it is slowly dropping again.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much shorter. A long jacket makes you look like an undertaker.

Matt S

Reaction score
In the past few years jackets have gotten shorter and trouser rises have become shorter too. I hate it. I think it's a response to the recession. Designers have probably been asked how to save money, so they save it on cloth. They take 2 inches off the top of the trousers and 2 inches off the bottom of the coat. The flat front trend saves fabric, and slimmer clothes overall saves fabric. It makes a lot of sense to me. As the economy recovers suits should come back to their natural proportions.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
In the past few years jackets have gotten shorter and trouser rises have become shorter too. I hate it. I think it's a response to the recession. Designers have probably been asked how to save money, so they save it on cloth. They take 2 inches off the top of the trousers and 2 inches off the bottom of the coat. The flat front trend saves fabric, and slimmer clothes overall saves fabric. It makes a lot of sense to me. As the economy recovers suits should come back to their natural proportions.

laugh.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
^ This was actually true during World Wars I & II. ^ It may be true today. To the OP's question; Traditional and conservative mens styling will always be 'in'. Proper fit, colour & fabric co-ordination and appropriateness to the occasion = good style.

Raralith

Reaction score
So far in the "short" lenght size, I still find many of them are a tad too long. Yes, I'm not tall by any standard but I'm no where near 5 foot short either. 5 years ago they were too long, and the last time I tried on a coat, they were still too long for RTW. Maybe the regular and large length are getting the chop instead?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a shorter jacket makes you look taller and exaggerates an athletic or slim upper body.
I think low rise trousers actually create a simpler and more elegant shape on most physiques; they're also more comfortable.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call it a trend or whatever, but I think some men will always prefer slightly shorter jackets. I am one of these men because I am not the average height of a male in America.

Us shorties have to be very careful about wearing clothes that fit so as to avoid looking like we are wearing "dad's clothes"

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
I think low rise trousers actually create a simpler and more elegant shape on most physiques; they're also more comfortable.

No way, especially to the bold part. Nothing comfy about having to yank up yer pants before you take a seat.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they are. Thank you, Mr. Brown.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loathing
Maybe I just have a big behind, I never found low rise trousers comfortable.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When one orders bespoke, one misses such trends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads