• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did not. Also, the package got to me in like 4 days. It was pretty impressive. From what I hear, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be spared, though.

My box from Oki-Ni has now sat in customs for 10 days. Regardless of whose fault it is, the whole thing has been rather unpleasant, and I am pretty sure I won't be ordering anything from them anytime soon.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the word on single layers is to size down massively, I think. I believe Kunk said he wears an S

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
been done buying clothes for a while cuz im dead broke and it ******* sucks
true.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not buying anything lol, just curious.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dwyhajlo
FWIW, I think that Nonnative stuff is totally worth it. The items I've got are the most comfortable stuff I've ever had. The various "dweller" items (which I guess is what they call very informal stuff for just knocking around it) are awesome. Even if it seems expensive for a pair of sweat pants or a t-shirt, it's great stuff.

They are definitely on my radar, just might have to sell some things off I suppose to offset some purchases when that time comes. I get that great item appeal from the looks and online pics so good to hear you can confirm from personal experience.

Originally Posted by snowmanxl
and the nonnative colour palette is right up your alley tonio.

Yeah, definitely. I was really liking the baby calf lace up boots in green, the grey worker jeans, and that voyager jacket. They look so good to me.

Originally Posted by Synthese
I did not. Also, the package got to me in like 4 days. It was pretty impressive. From what I hear, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be spared, though.

My box from Oki-Ni has now sat in customs for 10 days. Regardless of whose fault it is, the whole thing has been rather unpleasant, and I am pretty sure I won't be ordering anything from them anytime soon.

They shipped via UPS or UPS Express? Did they have a Royal Mail option do you know? The site doesn't specify it, but I thought I read that somewhere or maybe that was Oki-ni that started offering that option.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Huh. I just checked my old emails, apparently it took...2 days to get here, shipped "USA express," which I assume means UPS express.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Did they just take it in on the sides? If so, that's the danger of having it slimmed on the sides rather than darting all the way up to the yoke.

Edit: Yeah, just read your previous posts. What happens when you take a shirt in more than a little on the sides is that everything is slimmed only from the pits down.

I have never seen darting that runs to or from the yoke except small box pleats and small shoulder darts. I took the shirt back to the shop, got a different tailor, and before I said anything he said something like "needs darts." He was annoyed enough with the woman who only took in the sides that he turned around to shoot her a comment and a long stare.

One shirt had a small box pleat at the yoke he seemed pretty insistent about saving even after I told him he could just remove it. The other had shoulder darts at the yoke and he said it was common practice to extend those darts as far as they needed to go. For both shirts, the darts basically run yoke to hem. He probably could have just made it yoke to mid-back but either way it is going to look awkward. Better than Band of Outsider's box pleat running from yoke to hem + lower back darts.

Key Words: tailoring, darts, darting, slim fit shirt, fish anus, skinny, extra small shirts, extra small shirting.

Originally Posted by mike868y
Me: Do you know how to put darts in shirt?
Mom: That sounds kind of girly...

You're a girl. Enjoy your boob darts, girl.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
for some reason i find like all of mike868y's post like epicly hilarious. like a sitcom.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
I have never seen darting that runs to or from the yoke except small box pleats and small shoulder darts. I took the shirt back to the shop, got a different tailor, and before I said anything he said something like "needs darts." He was annoyed enough with the woman who only took in the sides that he turned around to shoot her a comment and a long stare. One shirt had a small box pleat at the yoke he seemed pretty insistent about saving even after I told him he could just remove it. The other had shoulder darts at the yoke and he said it was common practice to extend those darts as far as they needed to go. For both shirts, the darts basically run yoke to hem. He probably could have just made it yoke to mid-back but either way it is going to look awkward. Better than Band of Outsider's box pleat running from yoke to hem + lower back darts. Key Words: tailoring, darts, darting, slim fit shirt, fish anus, skinny, extra small shirts, extra small shirting. You're a girl. Enjoy your boob darts, girl.
If you tell them to take in the sides, they'll only take in the sides. When speaking with a tailor you gotta be really, really specific. Don't just assume they know what you mean, unless you've had the tailor for a long time. Didn't the tailor pin the shirt on the spot for you? You should have known that it would have been too baggy from there, and then asked for darts in addition or just plain darts. How much was the shirt taken in? It sounds pretty extreme, as I've taken in shirts and they have been perfectly fine on the top block. Whenever I've done darts they've run from yoke to hem, so that's common practice. H&M does these types of darts. Though as the dart gets further up it doesn't "take in" the shirt as much as say, the waist, so often times you can ask for them to stop the darting before the yoke as well. Also, he wanted to keep the box pleat because it's a lot of extra work to remove the pleat, cause you kind of have to deconstruct part of the shirt and then put it back together. My mum has been tailoring clothes for about four decades now and runs her own place, and I used to help her in the shop a lot, so I hope this was kind of insightful?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
the word on single layers is to size down massively, I think. I believe Kunk said he wears an S
Well I got it so hopefully it fits. Seller gave me measurements but who knows if they're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads