• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

inlandisland

Reaction score
Hello,

I thought this thread might be a good place to ask where I might be able to find silk (or other matierials like wool, cashmere, even cotton) that would be suitable for making ties.

Links to website and suppliers that enable on-line orders would be appreciated.

Also, I would be curious if there's a way to search this on ebay without getting all of the listings for everything that is made of silk cloth...

Sorry if this has been brought up before, I couldn't find anything in my search.

Thanks.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what and how much you would like. If you're going to need a substantial amount, you might want to contact a supplier like Vanner's (for silk), or a specialty mill for the kind of wool you want (such as Lovat Mill, Fox Bros, or even the heritage Coldharbour Mill). If it's just for a single piece, you could look at eBay sellers British Fabrics or AKS Textiles, but they will not have tie silk.

C&A

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
gorgeous. who made that?

Thanks for the nice comments.

It's a small tailor [now] living in the Milano region. He has been the tailor of Giancarlo Bonfanti [the shirt fabric weaver] for a number of years and has recently been convinced by T4Phage to travel to the Netherlands on a regular basis.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh look what came in today:
5554330218_961c3f99ec_z.jpg
Ok - I need opinions. This is what Solaro looks like with my complexion:
5554335522_e648c70c6b_z.jpg
5553749987_a0e75c052d_z.jpg
Yay or nay? I want a brown or tan blazer suit for the summer and would welcome alternatives. Anyone know of any good wool/linen or silk/linen books?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI

Ok - I need opinions. This is what Solaro looks like with my complexion:

5554335522_e648c70c6b_z.jpg

Yay or nay?

I want a brown or tan suit for the summer and would welcome alternatives. Anyone know of any good wool/linen or silk/linen books?

It appears more reddish than brown. Is the color true to life?

Slewfoot's brown PoW in post #1538 (above) is more to my liking - but hey just my opinion.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nay. Regardless of your complexion.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
s4beco.jpg

I'm photo happy today... Trini, I kinda like it, but I feel like you might get a few "Oh, there's the guy wearing the shiny suit again" glances. Looks pretty good on Matteo, though.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
m0nPO.jpg

frown.gif

(Okay, not natural light, but still.)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a nice thing if you don't need to look completely serious. But it's not really a summer fabric unless you get one of those under-70 days on the lake.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
if you have to ask about Solaro, you are not ready for Solaro.
This is sadly becoming more and more apparent.
frown.gif

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trini...why don't you experiment with Solaro via an odd trouser? Then you can mate it with a darker colored jacket or sweater

I liked a similar colored cloth but could not convince myself to make a suit out of it...so I got an odd trouser length and gave it to Ambrosi

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads