• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing a skinny tie with a jacket

ThatRandom

Reaction score
So i want to go for a casual look. dark blue (not navy) or black jeans. with a dress shirt; the ones you button all the way up with a collar and also a skinny tie. but i want to wear a jacket with it. not a blazer style jacket, but a more casual jacket. what kinda jackets can i wear with it? i'ma wear white nike classic style sneakers.
thanks
smile.gif

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatRandom
So i want to go for a casual look. dark blue (not navy) or black jeans. with a dress shirt; the ones you button all the way up with a collar and also a skinny tie. but i want to wear a jacket with it. not a blazer style jacket, but a more casual jacket. what kinda jackets can i wear with it? i'ma wear white nike classic style sneakers.
thanks
smile.gif

There's an Ask a Question thread right up at the top of the page dogg.

Also, don't do this.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Go to a jcrew store and ask one of the male SA's to put on a jacket. They're all basically dressed in jeans, button up shirt, skinny tie, and adidas sneakers.

pfurey

Reaction score
you're doing it all wrong.
ffffuuuu.gif
you need a pink gingham shirt, the skinniest tie you can find, rolled levi's, and desert boots. throw any olive green jacket on top and preferably rock a faux-hawk. all jcrew'd out. bitches love jcrew.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatRandom
dark blue (not navy) or black jeans.
!?!?!?!?
Originally Posted by pfurey
you need a pink gingham shirt, the skinniest tie you can find, rolled levi's, and desert boots. throw any olive green jacket on top and preferably rock a faux-hawk. all jcrew'd out. bitches love jcrew.
500x_500x_0611_schocking.jpg

pfurey

Reaction score
boom. look at his mom. she's practically dripping.

singh02

Reaction score
the tie should be about the same width as the lapels on your blazer,

Gutman

Reaction score
There are actually quite a few types of jacket you can wear with OBD shirt, skinny tie and jeans. Think 1960s and Mod. Harrington already mentioned. Any shell jacket which is slim and straight. Anything English, almost: Duffle, Gloverall, Corduroy jacket etc. Or (my favs) tweed sports jackets, just make sure they have narrow lapels, are slim fitting and not too long. Definitely not a 70s jacket, too waisted, pagoda shoulder line etc. Look up some Steve McQueen pics.

Gutman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanAesthetics
I would try to stay away from skinny ties and stick to SLIM ties. But if you must, try an get a Grey Herringbone blazer with soft shoulders for that casual look that you desire. Or, the classic, un-constructed Navy Blazer. Never go wrong. Hope this helped!
http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

Yes good call - i tend to use "slim" and "skinny" interchangeably, but you don't want the keyboard tie look, nor the leather tie (which thankfully i resisted in the 80s).

Lads, a bit harsh on the tagline comment! I like your blog and fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads