• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grad School Thread

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
when choosing this kind of grad degree, is important to look at the big picture: which will net you the 30k job you want at 30 years old?

DC comic book writer?
laugh.gif

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Masters programs everywhere are cash cows for universities looking to churn out degrees. You are cannon fodder and nothing more no matter where you go. Also you're a second class citizen applying for PHDs in the US because if you were any good you wouldn't need a master's degree.

I say this as a masters student at a tier 1 institution, the good thing is my employer is paying for my degree.

And I don't know what you mean by tiers but if it's not top 10 in general, it's probably not worth anything, especially in a program like English.

What we're saying is you glossed over what Manton wrote but didn't really understand it.

No.. I read it and I understood it. I think you're implying that 'if you don't get into a top flight program out of undergraduate, you don't have a chance of landing a job', but that's really not that true. I would agree that if you can't get into a topflight PhD program, than you're fucked, but I'm (luckily!) not at that point yet. Even programs that admit right into the PhD after undergraduate still require you to complete the MA, with varying levels of guaranteed/checkpoint funding.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
That's also why I'm still considering pursuing the History MA option (if I get admitted and get funding). I'd be staying at my school for another two years, but the program has a very, very good job placement and PhD placement track record, and the department has very strong ties to the city.

A few years ago, I'd be all about following your dreams and doing what you love, or where your heart takes you, yadda yadda yadda... If you stand a better chance of landing a job with a History degree, do that. Seriously.

Originally Posted by Manton
Harsh truth: people who pay for non-professional grad schools are seen as losers in the academic market. Either that or diletants.

Truth. This is coming from someone who had to find my own funding because the dept. wouldn't provide it. My colleagues were more than helpful, but the faculty superstars wanted nothing to do with me.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Anyway yea, I should just be smart, go to Tech for free and grab a degree and see what happens. Worse comes to worse I can sell clothes again.

bigstar[1].gif

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Phf, I wanted a real job I would've applied to Law School.
foo.gif

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Masters programs everywhere are cash cows for universities looking to churn out degrees. You are cannon fodder and nothing more no matter where you go. Also you're a second class citizen applying for PHDs in the US because if you were any good you wouldn't need a master's degree.

In the sciences, and especially in engineering, I would say this claim is laughable.

fftfft

Reaction score
Huh? I know how the academic job application game is played. I know that I would have to apply everywhere and anywhere, and be prepared to live in the country, in the city or on a mountain. My reference to the alumni networks is simply because if I'm pursuing nonacademic jobs (and hell, I might get to the MA program, hate my life and dread ever pursuing this further), it will help.

As for your "harsh truth", yea that's what I believe (and have been told). Very true. The good thing about the Tech offer is that the teaching position it includes is very, very good.

Edit: Sorry if I'm coming off as snarky. StephenHero is really irritating me in this thread! Anyway yea, I should just be smart, go to Tech for free and grab a degree and see what happens. Worse comes to worse I can sell clothes again.

I think that those of us with some experience or knowledge in this domain are simply horrified at the thought of going into debt to go down this path. It's bad enough to give up solid income for XX years in industry. Also, anybody who thinks that they can "play the game" for academic jobs really doesn't understand how arbitrary and unpredictable it is.

Kudos for your determination, and I hope that things fall into place for you.

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
In the sciences, and especially in engineering, I would say this claim is laughable.

Do explain, and in what context?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fftfft
I think that those of us with some experience or knowledge in this domain are simply horrified at the thought of going into debt to go down this path. It's bad enough to give up solid income for XX years in industry. Also, anybody who thinks that they can "play the game" for academic jobs really doesn't understand how arbitrary and unpredictable it is.

Kudos for your determination, and I hope that things fall into place for you.

One of the things I've found so depressing about this whole process is just how arbitrary it is. Scores, writing samples, grades matter so much less than who you know, and who your recommenders know.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
One of the things I've found so depressing about this whole process is just how arbitrary it is. Scores, writing samples, grades matter so much less than who you know, and who your recommenders know.
Teger, you're not being introspective. 1) What do you see as your contribution to society? What skills do you have or hope to have that society demands? 2) How are those skills enhanced by option A vs. B. (This has nothing to do with job placement potential.) It's strictly educational. 3) If your noted potential contributions to society are arbitrarily valued with a selectivity bias, are they valued at all? (as both a student and educator) 4) If your contribution to society in the form of a future teaching position is dependent on a similar degree of luck needed to win a scratchers ticket, how does society as a whole benefit by the prevalence of its members using this thought process to determine how to best spend their lives? Does society win when people chase non-existent opportunities at the expense of supplying other demands?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do explain, and in what context?

There are people at top institutions (Harvard, Stanford, CMU, etc. etc.) that got an MS/ME from an institution different than their PhD/SciD institution. That is, they got their MS and then were accepted into PhD/SciD programs. If you're a qualified applicant, programs won't necessarily disqualify you for having been in a masters program first. This is purely skeptical, but I would guess that a large number of colleges realize that people often go back for their MS / PhD while working, so they may not do it all at once. I do know for a fact that engineering firms will pay for their top employees to go back and get Master's degrees, apply that knowledge at work for a while, and then will often pay for a 3-5 year hiatus for PhD work. Those programs offer lots of real-world knowledge or utility, much of which can aid in the research these firms do.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with the 2nd school that funds you without a doubt. Get your masters, do really well at it, and then apply back to school A for the PhD program.

That said, have you called the first school explaining that you got into school B as well, would prefer to go to their school and see what funding packages they might be able to pull together?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Go with the 2nd school that funds you without a doubt. Get your masters, do really well at it, and then apply back to school A for the PhD program.

That said, have you called the first school explaining that you got into school B as well, would prefer to go to their school and see what funding packages they might be able to pull together?

He can try, but I doubt that they'll do anything. Unless he was their top applicant, they'll just go "whatever, get one of the waitlist kids that would DIE to get into here on the phone."

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I've called them and basically the answer was 'that's great for you, and we'd love to offer you funding, but we simply do not have the funds available to offer anyone funding, let alone you.'

I just thought of something new.. should I call Tech and be like blah blah UVA, and see if they bump the offer? Or why **** with a good thing?

I don't know if they even can bump their offer.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Yeah. Call them up and tell them Harvard offered you full tuition and tell them you're still considering Virginia Tech as long as they offer 75%. You'll show them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads