• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

tombrokaw

Reaction score
The slimmest shirts I've ever seen are from benjamin bixy (the defunct vanity line of andre3000).

I bought 4 cutaway collar, french cuff dress shirts in solids and simple stripe patterns, with the tags on for maybe 8 bucks a piece at Jeremy's in SF.

They fit my 15 neck and 33 sleeve perfectly, in fact I think the sleeves are 34, and it's cut to within two inches of my 29 waist.

sacksem

Reaction score
I recently ordered two Charles Tyrwhitt tailored fit shirts and am very pleased with what showed up two weeks later. Their tailored fit is slimmer than their slim fit but is also the most limited in fabric choices. Though the sizes always seem to be on back order, I also really like the specificity in choices which allow the buyer interger sleeve lengths or even half inch increments for a small charge. 16x35" fits me perfectly though, and it's honestly the first non custom shirt I can say that about. I'm 6'2, 170, with 40" chest, 31" waist. If you're somewhat similar drop I highly recommend trying these shirts.

One last note, they're not terribly long so they can be worn untucked. I rarely if ever wear a collared shirt untucked so I'd rather these had more length.

Anyway, definitely worth my $59 each plus the wait.

Qudi

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me brands for slim fit casual shirt? I'm a student that can't afford extremely expensive brands or getting things tailored. I have a medium "Slim Fit" tagged dress shirt from Uniqlo, not +J, and it fits very well. Have yet to find a shirt that fits as well as that one.

My measurements:
15.5 neck
31-32ish arm
36 bust
32 natural waist

Most shirts end up having too much fabric at the waist. Tried on the BB extra slim the other day and it fit like a bag. Could anyone estimate my size in J.Crew? Tried on a small once in-store and it fit well, but I don't know whether it was a slim fit or regular.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Qudi
Can anyone recommend me brands for slim fit casual shirt? I'm a student that can't afford extremely expensive brands or getting things tailored. I have a medium "Slim Fit" tagged dress shirt from Uniqlo, not +J, and it fits very well. Have yet to find a shirt that fits as well as that one.

My measurements:
15.5 neck
31-32ish arm
36 bust
32 natural waist

Most shirts end up having too much fabric at the waist. Tried on the BB extra slim the other day and it fit like a bag. Could anyone estimate my size in J.Crew? Tried on a small once in-store and it fit well, but I don't know whether it was a slim fit or regular.

Express extra slim fit shirts will eventually be on sale for 20-30 bucks a piece. That would suit a student budget fine.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even on a budget I would advise against Express. I used to buy them all the time before I knew anything about clothing, and they make some of the worst dress shirts I have ever seen. The colors will fade, and the shirt will wear out with just a few washings. You're better off buying more shirts from Uniqlo like the one that already fits you well than going to Express IMO.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Is there any place to buy uniqlo online?

err, besides ebay obviously.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
uniqlo.com seems to list the products and even prices, but there is no link to buy and no shopping cart.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sacksem
I recently ordered two Charles Tyrwhitt tailored fit shirts and am very pleased with what showed up two weeks later. Their tailored fit is slimmer than their slim fit but is also the most limited in fabric choices. Though the sizes always seem to be on back order, I also really like the specificity in choices which allow the buyer interger sleeve lengths or even half inch increments for a small charge. 16x35" fits me perfectly though, and it's honestly the first non custom shirt I can say that about. I'm 6'2, 170, with 40" chest, 31" waist. If you're somewhat similar drop I highly recommend trying these shirts.

One last note, they're not terribly long so they can be worn untucked. I rarely if ever wear a collared shirt untucked so I'd rather these had more length.

Anyway, definitely worth my $59 each plus the wait.

I too bought one recently and really liked the fit. However, after the first wash I believe it shrank a little, it seemed a little tighter and the sleeves a little shorter. It could have been that way in the beginning and I just didn't really notice. So, please post again after a few washings.

Thanks,

Wayne K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tombrokaw
uniqlo.com seems to list the products and even prices, but there is no link to buy and no shopping cart.

In the US you need to email the store. Then they call you with confirmation of stock and you pay over phone or email.

Wayne

tombrokaw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wayne K
In the US you need to email the store. Then they call you with confirmation of stock and you pay over phone or email.

Wayne

ok thanks.

Wayne K

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tombrokaw
ok thanks.

In my opinion, this has not worked out well. Better to try stuff on as I have not found Uniqlo sizing to be consistent.

Wayne

tu_madre512

Reaction score
Make sure they your order right, too. It's a hassle to ship stuff back and such

keileo

Reaction score
So glad that i found this site. Heck of a lot of information here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads