• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From WAYWRN. I promise not to sully this thread with many of my pics, but I am genuinely wondering whether this fit would qualify.
1000000534.JPG
1000000531.JPG
1000000532.JPG

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Here are some pictures from a recent three-day business trip - one suit, three shirts, three ties, one pair of shoes. Some will not consider the shoes conservative business dress - that has been discussed earlier. Also the ties may not fully qualify, but I am interested in opinions. The suit is grey, but looks different due to the lighting - the day two photo was taken in the morning with natural light in the room.
The final tie is by far the nicest (but then I have dubious taste in ties
smile.gif
)
Originally Posted by Eustace
I like the socks and don't find the rest offensive.
Originally Posted by gdl203
I've been on an UCBD streak over the last few days - never wore black shoes so many times in a row... Rainy day in NYC today so rain coat, rain suit and rain shoes.
Those shoes look nice to my eyes
smile.gif
- great tie too.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton: I know I won't change your mind on the tie or shirt, but wondered whether this slightly better stance allayed your concerns over today's suit fit:

stance.jpg

I won't deny that there is some skirt flare but I think it shows it's not as egregious as the main pic suggested...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
From WAYWRN. I promise not to sully this thread with many of my pics, but I am genuinely wondering whether this fit would qualify.

1000000534.JPG

The waist is a bit snug, and the shoulders are a bit lumpy and "straight" even for a DB in my opinion.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
stance.jpg

Very nice, MoK. I've enjoyed your fits lately.

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
The waist is a bit snug, and the shoulders are a bit lumpy and "straight" even for a DB in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think about it's suitability as a conservative business dress fit, assuming your critiques re: fit were addressed?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
This is great, but bar laces needed!!!!
devil.gif

Hmmmm, ok. I don't even know how to lace a shoe like that in all sincerity!
lol8[1].gif

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by jrd617
Redneck tie bar?

lol8[1].gif
Not quite. That thing cost more than most Rednecks would spend on their wardrobe in 5 years.

1000000534.JPG

1000000531.JPG

1000000532.JPG

Fit looks off in this shot. I have seen it before, looking better...so maybe this is just an off shot Acrid.

I would have selected a darker tie.

Mike

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another business trip. I know how most people here feel about button downs with a suit, but are they conservative business dress, especially American conservative business dress?

c0e04216.jpg

c5fd0cb8.jpg

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ManofKent;4268755 said:
I like the socks and don't find the rest offensive.

QUOTE]

Thanks. Fixed the knot post-photo. Don't know what happened there.

EFBenson

Reaction score
phat guido, very nice shirts posted today and yesterday... may I ask their provenance?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1000000531.JPG

I personally don't think a purple or mauve shirt can ever be conservative business dress, either in the strict sense or even in the extended spirit of this thread. At best a very very light and pale lilac may possibly fit with the latter.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EFBenson
phat guido, very nice shirts posted today and yesterday... may I ask their provenance?

All of his shirts are custom.

Originally Posted by gdl203
I personally don't think a purple or mauve shirt can ever be conservative business dress, either in the strict sense or even in the extended spirit of this thread. At best a very very light and pale lilac may possibly fit with the latter.

I see this shirt as light blue?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I see this shirt as light blue?
It shows purple on my screen...
confused.gif

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dozingoff.gif

Blue-N-White_032311_01.jpg

Blue-N-White_032311_02.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads