• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NHL 2010-2011 Season

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
True. He's a good player though, that's what makes it worse in a way.
Depends what you mean by "good". He's a 4th line, 15 goal/30 pts plugger who takes bad penalties. He's better on the defensive ends than most 4th liners and he's a fairly good skater but he's far from expendable. I like the guy's game as a 4th liner and his salary isn't terrible but his disciplinary problems and the sheer amount of hate that the Pens take because of him aren't worth it. Also, his role on the Pens sanctions (implicitly) dirty hits against most of the other Penguins, Malkin and Crosby included. Which is why no one really cared when either of those guys went out injured this year. Sean Avery I would take on my team. Matt Cooke I would not.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
He'd be resigned but his name is so tarnished that it would take at least a full season or two. Most Eastern Conference teams wouldn't touch the guy, that's for sure.

Disagree, any bottom feeder or borderline playoff contender would snap him up in a second. I can see him in a Wild or Predators jersey, no problem. I think there might be some stigma around him, but not enough to keep him out of the league. Like LR pointed out, its a shame he's a decent player.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think the Chara hit was just an unfortunate hockey play with where the glass started being bad luck. Prior history should factor in a bit.

Cooke deserves this and a lot more, but it might just be better to let Evander Kane or one of many other players just beat the **** out of him. Sadly, if the Pens let him go, someone will pick him up. In a world where a retired Tie Domi is banging Kelly Carlson, there is no hockey god.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad he got hit with that suspension. Good way to make an example out of him. He's gotten away with way too much as it is.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Malhotra out for the season and the playoffs... Vancouver's cup chances just dropped a pretty significant amount. Anyone who's watched them this season knows he plays a huge role in team D and is a big reason why Van is 2nd in PK in the league. After what nearly happened last year in the LA series on the PK and then what DID happen in the last game in Chi, that could be crushing.

Thats too bad, I loved Manny when he broke in with us, always felt he was never used in the right way...until recently. Hope he recovers fully.

Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Depends what you mean by "good". He's a 4th line, 15 goal/30 pts plugger who takes bad penalties. He's better on the defensive ends than most 4th liners and he's a fairly good skater but he's far from expendable. I like the guy's game as a 4th liner and his salary isn't terrible but his disciplinary problems and the sheer amount of hate that the Pens take because of him aren't worth it. Also, his role on the Pens sanctions (implicitly) dirty hits against most of the other Penguins, Malkin and Crosby included. Which is why no one really cared when either of those guys went out injured this year.

Sean Avery I would take on my team. Matt Cooke I would not.

Avery and Cooke are apples and walnuts. People don't like Avery because he's outspoken, and frankly, weird. Cooke is constantly out to hurt people. Listen to what the players said about him on TSN. I don't know how his teammates put up with him. And I really can't see how Lemieux can talk with him on their team. Maybe it was a legal thing that Lemieux was afraid of...not wanting to have Cooke sue him for character defamation, but for a guy so outspoken about this crap, his silence on Cooke says a lot. Perhaps his mentioning of it vs the Islanders was his round about way of getting at Cooke. He had to know it was only a matter of time. But then they give him an A...I'm confused.

I'm really just glad Mcdonaugh is OK. He is something else, very special, very Staal like. The patience he has on the ice with and without the puck is INCREDIBLE. He does so many little things so very well. Can't believe he was a throw in on the Gomez deal. Kudos Glenn Sather.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Just saw this, huge kick ********** for the Nucks. Hope he's okay... broken bones seem to be one thing, but messed up vision? ******. Just means the Flames will have a bit of an easier time come first round of the playoffs
wink.gif

The flames won't make the playoffs.

The majority of the fans (juding from CDC) are somewhat miffed about losing a good player but mostly just hoping he ever gets to play in the league again. Apparently it's that bad, it could end his career.

And about Cooke, it would be a great message if Pittsburgh bought out his contract and kicked him to the curb. Only problem is he'd be re-signed in no time flat... just look at Bertuzzi for an example of a guy who continues to succeed despite being a dickmouth of immense proportions.
Cooke was in Van before Pit, played a less agressive role, more grinding like Clutterbuck with fewer points and less ice time. I would think we'd take him back to reprise that role and I imagine lots of teams would be interested.

Unrelated: NHL.com just put up a feature of "all time best slapshots". A whole bunch are from the skills competition at the all star game and they completely omitted Yzerman's double OT winner from '96 which is not only the greatest slapshot of all time but my personal favourite goal ever scored. I am writing a damn letter.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Just saw this, huge kick ********** for the Nucks. Hope he's okay... broken bones seem to be one thing, but messed up vision? ******. Just means the Flames will have a bit of an easier time come first round of the playoffs
wink.gif

And about Cooke, it would be a great message if Pittsburgh bought out his contract and kicked him to the curb. Only problem is he'd be re-signed in no time flat... just look at Bertuzzi for an example of a guy who continues to succeed despite being a dickmouth of immense proportions.

flames keep throwing away points, too many teams with too many games in hand, wouldn't count on it

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
T Cooke was in Van before Pit, played a less agressive role, more grinding like Clutterbuck with fewer points and less ice time. I would think we'd take him back to reprise that role and I imagine lots of teams would be interested. Unrelated: NHL.com just put up a feature of "all time best slapshots". A whole bunch are from the skills competition at the all star game and they completely omitted Yzerman's double OT winner from '96 which is not only the greatest slapshot of all time but my personal favourite goal ever scored. I am writing a damn letter.
The Canucks are firing on all cylinders and I think Cooke could only be a disruption to that. Also, being from St. Louis, I'll never forget the call and that shot. It was unbelievable to have the greatest player of all time lose the puck to one of the greatest of all time who fires a slap shot over Casey who was standing on his head that game. Double OT, game 7 1-0 - despite the Blues being on the wrong end of that, that's easily one of the best games I've ever seen. That season the Blues had at least 5 current hall of famers on their roster. Edit, they actually had 6.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
The Canucks are firing on all cylinders and I think Cooke could only be a disruption to that.

Also, being from St. Louis, I'll never forget the call and that shot. It was unbelievable to have the greatest player of all time lose the puck to one of the greatest of all time who fires a slap shot over Casey who was standing on his head that game. Double OT, game 7 1-0 - despite the Blues being on the wrong end of that, that's easily one of the best games I've ever seen.

That season the Blues had at least 5 current hall of famers on their roster. Edit, they actually had 6.

Pissed as a Gretzky fanatic. Happy looking back, just because it was amazing.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Thats too bad, I loved Manny when he broke in with us, always felt he was never used in the right way...until recently. Hope he recovers fully.

Avery and Cooke are apples and walnuts. People don't like Avery because he's outspoken, and frankly, weird. Cooke is constantly out to hurt people. Listen to what the players said about him on TSN. I don't know how his teammates put up with him. And I really can't see how Lemieux can talk with him on their team. Maybe it was a legal thing that Lemieux was afraid of...not wanting to have Cooke sue him for character defamation, but for a guy so outspoken about this crap, his silence on Cooke says a lot. Perhaps his mentioning of it vs the Islanders was his round about way of getting at Cooke. He had to know it was only a matter of time. But then they give him an A...I'm confused.

I'm really just glad Mcdonaugh is OK. He is something else, very special, very Staal like. The patience he has on the ice with and without the puck is INCREDIBLE. He does so many little things so very well. Can't believe he was a throw in on the Gomez deal. Kudos Glenn Sather.

Oddly enough I've heard that Cooke is well liked by his teammates whereas Avery has often been disliked by his teammates (particularly in Dallas). The problem with Cooke is that he's hated by the rest of the league and he puts his management and team in hot water all the time with his dumb plays.
Cooke is analogous with Claude Lemieux, minus the playoff performances. He's a dangerous player and hated by the league, but he's actually a good team guy.

As for those who think he'd be picked up immediately by another team, I wouldn't be so sure. This guy does not have a unique skill set. He's a grinder with good wheels, that's about it. I really can't see too many teams snatching him up (should the Pens ever drop him) unless they give him a pretty lengthy trial run in the AHL beforehand.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Avery. He's a little snot-nosed, annoying, bad-mouthed kid.... but he's honest about it. He does what he's paid to, and he's good at it. He annoys people, draws penalties, and does it within the confines of the rules.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I like Avery. He's a little snot-nosed, annoying, bad-mouthed kid.... but he's honest about it. He does what he's paid to, and he's good at it. He annoys people, draws penalties, and does it within the confines of the rules.
He also rarely injures people. I have always found it annoying that guys like Avery and Esa Tikannen were and are reviled and frequently crucified by players and the league whereas assholes like Scott Stevens who ruined careers were "Good Ol' Canadian Boys" in the eyes of many.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My views as a Canucks fan, in summary: Avery is a tough hockey player who does his role well. Cooke is a snot-nosed puke who I hated even as during his tenure with the Canucks. Good riddance. CDC sucks. Canuckscentral is where I lurk. However, it's still better than the majority of idiots in calpuck. I want the Flames to make the playoffs so they keep thinking they're this close to the Cup. Same with the Leafs. Let them mortgage their future some more. However, it's Chicago I want to meet in the playoffs...again.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
My views as a Canucks fan, in summary:

Avery is a tough hockey player who does his role well.

Cooke is a snot-nosed puke who I hated even as during his tenure with the Canucks. Good riddance.

CDC sucks. Canuckscentral is where I lurk. However, it's still better than the majority of idiots in calpuck.

I want the Flames to make the playoffs so they keep thinking they're this close to the Cup. Same with the Leafs. Let them mortgage their future some more. However, it's Chicago I want to meet in the playoffs...again.

If Calgary wanted to mortgage their future (and present to date) they would have left Darryl Sutter in charge.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaychiz
If Calgary wanted to mortgage their future (and present to date) they would have left Darryl Sutter in charge.
Yeah, that was a glorious era for Canucks fans. One trip to the finals in '03 and then years of subsequent "almosts".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads