• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Delicious Wines

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
O'Reilly's Pinot Gris - $16

This wine is made by Owen Roe under their private label, great value and incredibly drinkable. Not only does the QPR make me happy but it brings back memories of my visit to Owen Roe in the summer of 2009 which was a great experience. Highly recommend it for those visiting the Willamette.

Have you had any of the O'Reilly's Pinot Noirs? I have a bottle of the '07 and the '09 right now just waiting to be drunk. I tasted the '06 i think it was a couple years back and it was amazing for the price but I've heard the subsequent vintages were not quite as good. Guess i will find out soon enough...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Hermann J. Wiemer Fingerlakes Riesling. Also sub-$20. Single vineyards are around $35.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good cru Beaujolais is very pleasurable, or even lower-ranked Beaujolais from a fine year. And we've had a few recently.

One of the categories that is not only delicious on its own terms but also great if you care to think about it is Mosel Riesling Spatlese. I prefer the slightly racy years, like 2001. Mozart wine! If I catch myself taking self-inventory at the end of the year, it's really the only wine that makes me think I haven't been drinking enough.

JJ Prum makes a very reliable line of Rieslings. Wehlener Sonnenuhr and Graacher Himmelreich seem to be his biggest products. Scharzhofbergers in general are very fine, and Egon Muller's Scharzhofberger is especially worth looking for, although it will cost you.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I've been getting a lot of mileage out of cheap New Zealand Sauv Blancs, especially in warm weather (which I had tonight with my wine in Dallas). There is a strong family resemblance from bottle to bottle -they all seem to taste of green apple and fresh dill.

+1.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DiSefano wines from Washington State: each time I approach them with some skepticism, and each time I think: this is just great. The latest was a 2006 Meritage that was all about freshness and vitality. $15.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
Have you had any of the O'Reilly's Pinot Noirs? I have a bottle of the '07 and the '09 right now just waiting to be drunk. I tasted the '06 i think it was a couple years back and it was amazing for the price but I've heard the subsequent vintages were not quite as good. Guess i will find out soon enough...

Have not had the O'Reilly's pinot noir, definitely would be curious how it is. That said, I have enjoyed a number of the Owen Roe reds that I have tried including Sinister Hand and Ex Umbris.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I've been getting a lot of mileage out of cheap New Zealand Sauv Blancs, especially in warm weather (which I had tonight with my wine in Dallas). There is a strong family resemblance from bottle to bottle -they all seem to taste of green apple and fresh dill.

I have a similar reaction to most Albarino (different flavor profile of course).

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Good cru Beaujolais is very pleasurable, or even lower-ranked Beaujolais from a fine year. And we've had a few recently.

One of the categories that is not only delicious on its own terms but also great if you care to think about it is Mosel Riesling Spatlese. I prefer the slightly racy years, like 2001. Mozart wine! If I catch myself taking self-inventory at the end of the year, it's really the only wine that makes me think I haven't been drinking enough.

JJ Prum makes a very reliable line of Rieslings. Wehlener Sonnenuhr and Graacher Himmelreich seem to be his biggest products. Scharzhofbergers in general are very fine, and Egon Muller's Scharzhofberger is especially worth looking for, although it will cost you.

+1. Riesling pairs wonderfully with spicy food, i.e. Thai, which makes it all the better.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
been gone for a few days with the flu. thanks for the kind words. there's always a tension when this kind of discussion begins between hyper-intellectualizing and "whatever you like is good" and i think we've avoided that well. it's funny. great wine can be an intellectual experience on the level of any great art. but i think what's happened lately (ahem, 20 years or so) is that the market has become so focused on buying what they think of as great art, without really understanding what greatness is, that things have gotten skewed. i taste so many supposedly "great" wines these days that kind of run down the checklist of greatness attributes -- ripeness, extraction, richness, depth of fruit -- but that don't seem to add up to much. going back to pleasurable -- smile-able -- wines is a reminder of what balance means.
my list: cru beaujolais (again, if you haven't bought in 09s, do ... immediatley). chianti normale, barbera (perhaps most of all), chinon, riesling (maybe most of all) sancerre (i love reverdy ... bought it the first time because i instantly wanted to write a detective novel where the hero was named hypolite reverdy). but my everyday, all-time pleasurable whites come from California -- I love the alsatian-style whites from Navarro in the Anderson Valley, and it seems that no matter who i pour them for, they do to. gewurtz, pg, sauvignon blanc, riesling ... these are lovely wines, made by terrific people and they cost less than $20 a bottle.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
great wine can be an intellectual experience on the level of any great art. but i think what's happened lately (ahem, 20 years or so) is that the market has become so focused on buying what they think of as great art, without really understanding what greatness is, that things have gotten skewed.
the only wines I've had that I'd attach this level of greatness have all been old. Age, IMO, adds a distinct character that cannot be replicated. Perhaps I'm off in my thinking (I'd add Dagueneau to an exceptions list).

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
age will qualify a wine that has the necessary attributes, but it's not going to do anything for a wine that doesn't. and great wines don't necessarily age (just as aged wines aren't necessarily great).
i think dageneau is a perfect example of a wine that should be drunk fairly soon that definitely qualifies as great. nicolas Joly is another. old rieslings can certainly be great, but so can young ones, check out loosen. and i think most champagnes should be drunk young, though the exceptions are certainly stunning.
i guess partly it comes down to what do you mean by "great"? i would put a vietti barbera scarrone up against any red wine of the same vintage and you tell me which one you like the best

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
all valid points. I haven't had a Joly in a while, now I need to become reacquainted.

I've had plenty of great wines, but in my post I was thinking about a few indelible examples.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar

I've had plenty of great wines, but in my post I was thinking about a few indelible examples.

that's a good point. context is important. but i think it's really important to remember that stand-up tastings (the way most of us first experience a wine we're going to buy) are not necessarily the best ways to judge a wine.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
that's a good point. context is important. but i think it's really important to remember that stand-up tastings (the way most of us first experience a wine we're going to buy) are not necessarily the best ways to judge a wine.

Yes- especially given how those wines are served, the atmosphere and the lack of food pairing, frankly, as I tend to be on the side of "it's how it pairs with food that matters". I've yet to open and enjoy a bottle with no accompaniment. <- which is probably an interesting threak unto its own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads