• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Re the Lanvis: The proportions on this look good to me. I am not sure what is putting people off; Lanvins aren't unusually chunky, although the sole is bigger than CPs.
I don't get it either, and they're old sole lanvins so the sole is the same as CP's. The uppers are charcoal, not quite black, with a burgundy trim that has some depth to it:
aH1DB.jpg

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
im more concerned with why fuji went from a pretty badass aesthetic to that...

Don't worry, it was just for the day.

Quite surprised how much discussion that one fit got.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be standing for this pic so we can see that flare.

There actually was a standing shot; it was eaten during the editing process. Another time

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
yeah the windbreaker is old and does fit weird. new ss outerwear is on the "want" list.

shoes are dirty vans. really wish I had brought my boots home for spring break, weather has been terrible this week.

why does this shirt get so much hate? Does the plaid just look bad?

the problem with me looking square is that...I am square. I don't have a huge drop because my upper body isn't that muscular. but I'm a cyclist so I'm not really interested in getting a jacked upper body. I don't think scott has much drop either (could be wrong) and no one generally hates on him for being squareish.

I meant figurative square... plaid does that if u rnt rugged as fuvk or dashingly handsome

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
yeah the windbreaker is old and does fit weird. new ss outerwear is on the "want" list.

shoes are dirty vans. really wish I had brought my boots home for spring break, weather has been terrible this week.

why does this shirt get so much hate? Does the plaid just look bad?

the problem with me looking square is that...I am square. I don't have a huge drop because my upper body isn't that muscular. but I'm a cyclist so I'm not really interested in getting a jacked upper body. I don't think scott has much drop either (could be wrong) and no one generally hates on him for being squareish.

I think it goes without saying that a certain subset of board members are looking at another board member for blatant aesthetic direction. Just be careful as while certain fits may look good on Scott, they may not look good on you. There are just so many variables to consider and taking that into consideration the bolded portion above comes across as a bit silly.

But, Mike, with all due respect, I know you are struggling dimensionally and I applaud the steps you've taken this far to up your game (0). I think we've all seen improvements over the past few months. And being humble and receptive towards comments is such an important thing, and I know you do that.

I will state the obvious. All of the Common Projects hype & hoopla which runs abound is justified. However, I am HUGE fan of basic white lace up vans in white. Especially for the summer. And I love to beat the crap out of them. Though, your sneakers are bordering on a bit haggard and probably due for replacement. They also look a bit wide and a tad clunky (you may have a wide foot, not sure..). I've found Keds (check your pre-conceptions at the door!) to be a great slim-lined option for cheap basic casual footwear. If you can seek out a pair of Ked "Call of Duties" from last summer, imo, those would be ideal. They were my #1 beaters from last summer and have some nice pics of them to prove it. And cheap, if you're working with budget barriers.

Without a pretty wide wardrobe, I could see that windbreaker being difficult to pair with respect to what to wear under. I'm struggling myself to think (a grey v-neck or crew?). However, the plaid just doesn't work with the look. White lends itself to the warmer seasons and it is in direct competition with that darker colored plaid. Which typically, as I'm sure you know, is more on the Winter side of the pattern spectrum. If you like your checks, try some madras for the spring. (side note: i believe that may be a Gant you're wearing, and if so, I don't know why they released a Spring/Summer set of clothing in mostly fall/winter plaid patterns).

Preparing to be stoned to death, but also, I think the jeans are a little wide. My apologies if they're new, but I can't bite my tongue on it. Not just a "tad" wide, but they look oversized. Denim sizing is an art, and differs from person to person, but this is just my opinion. I would look for a slimmer leg that you can get with a factory/off the rack 30" inseam. Nudies (gasp!) come to mind for a denim with plenty of sizing and styles and at relatively reasonable price points.

Keep posting, keep up the good work -- and we'll be here to continue to pick your looks apart!
smile.gif

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If slack says your jeans are too loose, that probably means they're perfect (no hate slack). I like the jeans Mike, slim but comfortable with a good taper down to the shoes

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah dude your flannel is less "mountain man" or "williamsburg" and more "what's up internets."

Also, white shoes, especially with the combination of dark jeans, small hem, and wide feet, draw a lot of attention to themselves. I don't want this to devolve into a "short dude" discussion but it's really not the best look.

Polos get a lot of hate on this forum but i think one would look good on you.

Also, 2 hours a week doing a few upper body exercises would pay off greatly given your frame. Short dudes bulk up really easily.

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a slight drop, not on Fuji status but good enough to make me happy.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re the Lanvis: The proportions on this look good to me. I am not sure what is putting people off

It's not the shape of the shoe, it's the tacky burgundy trim and toe cap. I actually think the shape and materials look good based on the stock picture AR posted, but the burgundy makes the shoes look like you'll end up back in Kansas if you click them together three times.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
i meant square as figurative. not literal

think more square as in svb (no hate, just... that type of look)

its hard to wear plaid well (yes, plaid is overused, overdone, generally not done well)
unless you're rugged as **** or dashingly handsome.

and most of us are neither.

its good to take notes of others peoples fits, but i think epaulet and flannel
+ jacket have been regurgitated to death.
sure it looks okay/good but theres not much left so commentate about it on waywt.

slack tide

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretext: I wear 90% the same brand

that out of the way..

It wasn't until SF that I realized, while my fits looked "nice", they were tragically unremarkable. Inoffensive. That's about it. Cow's said "not much left to commentate about it on waywt", which led me to this comment. Because that is how I did (and still kind of do) perceive myself.

Not to say I've heavily branched out from my original appearance and debut, I do feel the critiques and comments received have caused me to explore a few different avenues of fit that I hadn't considered or for some reason had an aversion to in the past.

that is all. carry on
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads