• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

S. Magnozzi

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Manton - is that one of ed's new ties? Looks thick!

Another UCBD for me today. B
bored.gif
ring

IMG01453-20110322-0906.jpg

IMG01462-20110322-0910.jpg

IMG01466-20110322-0912.jpg

This is great.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Trini, who makes this tie? This is a really nice look.

Originally Posted by elgreco
Looks like Drakes: http://www.drakes-london.com/catalog...e/category/78/

I have a very similar Zileri tie that our frien EL72 was selling on B&S a few years ago.

Originally Posted by Manton
I have a dove gray cashmere that I got from edmorel, pre-Panta. Can't remember the brand but it was an Italian one I did not recognize. Nice tie.

Thanks - it's a cashmere Isaia actually...sourced from one of Ed's closet sales.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Thanks - it's a cashmere Isaia actually...sourced from one of Ed's closet sales.
Nice tie.
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

I'm not sure about the tan shoes with the suit, but I like the choice of tie.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Following Manton's comments on the jacket having a 60's feel, I've noticed it with a few of your fits, and I can't decide how much ids the clothing aesthetic and how much is the way you pose and post-process the photos. Do you aim for a 60's aesthetic?
I don't aim for it, but it does influence me from time to time.
Flannel & suede is possibly the best combination evar.
Nice tie.
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Are there cuffs on the trou? They might help them to hang better. Of course, it could be the wind, too...
We're wearing the same tie today.
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
I like how the shoes echo the tie. A lighter grey suit would make it stand out less, but that may not be what you're going for.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
m4aMs.jpg

Originally Posted by Orgetorix
DSCF7416.jpg

Two not dissimilar ties in terms of colour/pattern, but I really dislike the first, whereas the second is quite nice.

RUB7f.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Order more DBs. They flatter you much more than single-breasted jackets IMO.

Another UCBD for me today.

The shirt/tie interplay probably makes it conservative business dress rather than UCBD; nice. Is it at all uncomfortable to walk around in oxfords that have such a wide gap at the top even when done up? Looks like well over an inch of gap.

5549734787_863930255d_z.jpg

UCBD?

Originally Posted by MBreinin
Snoozefest2.JPG
Needs a lighter blue to the shirt I think.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
o/o: That is a great tie.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Is it at all uncomfortable to walk around in oxfords that have such a wide gap at the top even when done up? Looks like well over an inch of gap.
You mean the V shaped lacing? No it's not uncomfortable at all, quite the opposite. I have a high instep for my foot size so when a RTW shoe fits well in length and width, the instep would be too tight if I laced it up tightly. Which is also one reason monks and loafers can be uncomfortable for me, even in my usual last/size.

So the shoes are actually only comfortable when laced in a more open V. Does that make sense?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Are there cuffs on the trou? They might help them to hang better. Of course, it could be the wind, too...
No cuffs - It's mainly the breeze: first photo by wall - is in a fairly sheltered location, second photo in park is very open (and taken almost immediately after a cramped train journey).

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean the V shaped lacing? No it's not uncomfortable at all, quite the opposite. I have a high instep for my foot size so when a RTW shoe fits well in length and width, the instep would be too tight if I laced it up tightly. Which is also one reason monks and loafers can be uncomfortable for me, even in my usual last/size.

So the shoes are actually only comfortable when laced in a more open V. Does that make sense?

Your're probably best off avoiding most Cheaney - I've a moderately high instep and have to go for a biggish V on all but their country shoes.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I like this a lot.

I can't tell on my screen - is that a worsted flannel?

Thanks. Yep, it's a worsted flannel of Huddersfield origin. I got it from the quality seller so not sure what mill/book.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
I like how the shoes echo the tie. A lighter grey suit would make it stand out less, but that may not be what you're going for.

Not sure if you're saying the suit looks dark grey to you, but it is a very dark navy. Here's a snap in more direct light.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads