• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
4 miles in 29:50. Achilles was a bit creaky but loosened up after a half-mile or so.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5.3 miles in 45 minutes, most of it at about 8:30 pace. Feeling more comfortable every time I run now.... my cadence has got considerably faster now relative to when I started and I felt very comfortable maintaining this pace - in fact, I think I can speed it up a bit more next time. I think a 8:00 pace over 5 miles is within reach,

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5km or 3.125 miles in 35 minutes. Most I've ever done in my life was 10 km, trying to get back there, so this is a good start back into it. I think for the first few weeks I might just keep doing 5km, but upping my pace, and then increasing distance. Does that sound good? Or just increase distance?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
5.3 miles in 45 minutes, most of it at about 8:30 pace. Feeling more comfortable every time I run now.... my cadence has got considerably faster now relative to when I started and I felt very comfortable maintaining this pace - in fact, I think I can speed it up a bit more next time. I think a 8:00 pace over 5 miles is within reach,

Nice going: keep it up and you'll be there in no time.

Originally Posted by 1up
5km or 3.125 miles in 35 minutes. Most I've ever done in my life was 10 km, trying to get back there, so this is a good start back into it. I think for the first few weeks I might just keep doing 5km, but upping my pace, and then increasing distance. Does that sound good? Or just increase distance?

I'd increase distance before increasing pace. As you keep at it your pace will likely drift upwards anyway as your legs adapt to the increased volume.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
What type of diet?

Basically a very carb restricted diet. The first 3 weeks were hell, while running. My mileage dropped as I couldnt really get through more than 3 miles. Then, once my metabolism converted, it all kicked in gear. The process of converting fats to glycogen (liver and muscle based), is much slower than carbohydrate. My long runs are getting easier and my ability to maintain a pace or even negative split is coming back. Im doing 14 in the hilly trails this weekend, so we will see how it goes.
For fuel during runs, I am using raw almonds.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Basically a very carb restricted diet. The first 3 weeks were hell, while running. My mileage dropped as I couldnt really get through more than 3 miles. Then, once my metabolism converted, it all kicked in gear. The process of converting fats to glycogen (liver and muscle based), is much slower than carbohydrate. My long runs are getting easier and my ability to maintain a pace or even negative split is coming back. Im doing 14 in the hilly trails this weekend, so we will see how it goes.
For fuel during runs, I am using raw almonds.

Good to hear it (low-carb) works with running. I've been a fitness fanatic for years now and have gotten away with pretty much eating what I want - figuring the workouts would trump diet. It worked well for a long time, but I'm almost 47 now and need to dial in my diet. I was considering a marathon in October and didn't know if low-carb would work with that plan.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear it (low-carb) works with running. I've been a fitness fanatic for years now and have gotten away with pretty much eating what I want - figuring the workouts would trump diet. It worked well for a long time, but I'm almost 47 now and need to dial in my diet. I was considering a marathon in October and didn't know if low-carb would work with that plan.

It does if you are willing to tough it out. Starting a run nearly bonked is difficult to say the least, but it gets easier, and now I am seeing huge results in both my body composition and my speed (endurance is not yet where it was once, but its building).
Its an interesting experiment. I think it may be sustainable, but I think for anything over a half, you need conventional nutrition to keep it up. I have read about some that can get through a marathon or an Ultra with just nuts (primarily Almonds).

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M: 6 easy - 42:30
PM: Form Drills/Dynamic Stretching for 30 minutes followed by an awesome workout
2 miles warmup followed by 16 x 400meters. Progressed from a 76 second 400 down to a 70 second. It was cool working out with some other guys running that pace.

5km this weekend to benefit local schools . . . looking to go sub 17 and see exactly where my fitness is.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Baby was sick last week, wife's been sick since late last week, and now I have scratchy throat
frown.gif
Tried sleeping in but no dice, so I wound up running 4 miles at a leisurely 31:24. Depending on how I feel tonight I'll either sleep in tomorrow or get back after it in the run-up to this weekend's half.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Low carb took some getting used to, but now I run 5-6 miles routinely in the morning on a cup of black coffee without any issues.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Basically a very carb restricted diet. T

How many grams of carbs do you consume a day?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I'd increase distance before increasing pace. As you keep at it your pace will likely drift upwards anyway as your legs adapt to the increased volume.

This seems to be working for me - I've gone from 4-5 in 45 minutes in January to 11 in under 2 hours on Saturday. Followed that with interval/hill training for another 5 on Sunday. Most I've run in consecutive days in 10 years; better no sign of hamstring, knee, PF or stress fracture, all of which I've had in recent years. 1/2 on May 1 looks doable, if I can spare the price of a tie for a run by the beach
smile.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
How many grams of carbs do you consume a day?

Less than 20 g a day.

Today was the best run I have had in months.....
7 Miles, averaged a 7:49 MM. I think that is my new cruising pace, first 2 miles were at around a 7 MM, last mile was also at that.
Felt just awesome, if I didnt have a lunch appointment I would have kept going.
My PF feels strangely better.
Energy was all there and my legs felt very strong.
Listened to The Budos Band III, until I realized I was just listening to the birds over the music (that is how loud they were today!). Then I just bailed on the Ipod and ran to the chirps.
It was about 37 degrees out, misty. I LOVED IT.

BTW: my running pics go up on Twitter now, its so easy to do while I run!
http://twitter.com/#!/antirabbit8

mylesmyles

Reaction score
6.2 miles in CP (in the rain) this morning in 42:42

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads