• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

conservative business dress WAYWRN: An Experiment

Navi

Reaction score
Funny how the best lighting in my house is in my damn bathroom.
ffffuuuu.gif
m4aMs.jpg
Can this even get any more conservative business dress?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Blue-gray "nailhead" suit, blue textured shirt, rust orange wool tie, blue ground silk square, orange & gray wool socks, American Gunboats.
Rxl6o.jpg

Of all the pictures posted in this thread so far, this is the one that has given me the most food for thought. Apart from the shirt, none of these are safe choices. There seems to be a lot of stuff that could go wrong but none of them do. If I tried something like this, it would be a trainwreck, for sure. But here it is both very interesting and, to me, very conservative business dress.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Perhaps more in line with California Business Dress, but oh well...
I need a green & mustard paisley square...
frown.gif

Following Manton's comments on the jacket having a 60's feel, I've noticed it with a few of your fits, and I can't decide how much ids the clothing aesthetic and how much is the way you pose and post-process the photos. Do you aim for a 60's aesthetic?

Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Feeling quite conservative business dress today.
I don't mind the contemporary shortness of the jacket, but the buttoning point does look high. Is this one of the newer suits with the lower point or one the older ones? The contrast of the knit tie's texture does add a touch of interest to an otherwise clean lined fit.

Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
I'm warming up to the cream square. Goes great with the suit & complements the tie well.
Thanks. Although I wear one from time to time, I'm not a big fan of the white linen TV fold, and find the cream silk more versatile. I've got far too many PS's but only end up regularly wearing a few of them.

Blue-gray "nailhead" suit, blue textured shirt, rust orange wool tie, blue ground silk square, orange & gray wool socks, American Gunboats.

Definitely my favourite of your posts in this thread so far. I've worn burnt orange ties with tan shoes and like them together (generally with olive sportscoats) but always wondered whether it was a 'too matchy' sartorial sin.

Originally Posted by Kaplan
Looks great.
Thanks

Originally Posted by elgreco
First of all, apologies for the crappy Photo Booth and iPhone pictures; my Powershot is still on loan to my dad.

So, I guess what I'm asking and answering with these photos is whether a d/b can fit within the confines of conservative business dress as defined herein.
Details (if necessary):

Jacket: Sartoria Partenopea
Shirt: CEGO
Tie: Howard Yount
Trousers: Club Monaco
Shoes: C&J

Ouch those photos are bad
smile.gif

I sometimes wear a d/b blazer to work when I'm feeling more casual and don't have important meetings and oddly it's been those occasions when people have commented on how 'I'd dressed up' for the day
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Navi
Funny how the best lighting in my house is in my damn bathroom.
ffffuuuu.gif

Can this even get any more conservative business dress?

I think this is definitely conservative business dress, but personally I'm not a fan of the tie.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did I miss this threak!

Thanks to UC for putting me onto this.

Is my post today conservative business dress?

110322006.jpg

110322011.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Is my post today conservative business dress?

Yes.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
X7gTU.jpg

RUB7f.jpg

TSC9r.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Manton those are serious lapels. This is not a suit that is going to go unnoticed in an office
smile.gif

I wish you'd sort out the lighting for your main shots - for a few seconds I thought you'd gone for patch pockets
smile.gif

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
^ Manton those are serious lapels. This is not a suit that is going to go unnoticed in an office
smile.gif

Very nice suit, I like the whole outfit.
I wish you'd sort out the lighting for your main shots - for a few seconds I thought you'd gone for patch pockets
smile.gif
The flash pictures look decent, actually. Doesn't your camera have a self-timer feature? (Speakers are usually the perfect height to place the camera) ETA: That's a great look, PG.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There is no flash; it would bounce off the mirror.

I tried the self timer in the past. The shots are even worse in some respects, better in others, particularly in showing color and pattern, but not better than the close-ups I am doing now in that respect.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manton - is that one of ed's new ties? Looks thick!

Another UCBD for me today. B
bored.gif
ring

IMG01453-20110322-0906.jpg

IMG01462-20110322-0910.jpg

IMG01466-20110322-0912.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no flash; it would bounce off the mirror.

I tried the self timer in the past. The shots are even worse in some respects, better in others, particularly in showing color and pattern, but not better than the close-ups I am doing now in that respect.

The close ups are good. Anyway, I Like the suit.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PG, since we like to quibble in this threak, I'll mention that your square is a little matchy for my taste, but you look great overall.

Manton - excellent use of your new Panta tie.

gdl - I'm not generally a fan of black wingtips, but I do really like the shape of that toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads