• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Minnis fresco or mohair for unlined suit?

macaroni

Reaction score
It is going to be my first quarterlind suit. I'm planing SB 3 btts roll to two, patch pockets (not sure about double stitching on pockets).

I'd rather go for fresco for it's informal feel but I'm concerned about durability. What is longevity of the stitches on this loose wave? Do you guys have any experiences with fresco and mohair (25% by John Foster) and can give me some comparison?

Last edited by a moderator:

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fresco is more durable than mohair in my experience. The heavier stuff is like iron.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mohair is woven so densely that there is no point in getting it unlined. I speak from experience.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Mohair is woven so densely that there is no point in getting it unlined. I speak from experience.

Manton, could you elaborate on this?
What I'm interpreting is that since mohair is so densely woven, there is no real increase in breathability between it being lined and unlined. Am I right to assume this?

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macaroni
It is going to be my first quarterlind suit. I'm planing SB 3 btts roll to two, patch pockets (not sure about double stitching on pockets).

I'd rather go for fresco for it's informal feel but I'm concerned about durability. What is longevity of the stitches on this loose wave? Do you guys have any experiences with fresco and mohair (25% by John Foster) and can give me some comparison?

I have had the opportunity to purchase and handle Minnis fresco (never wore it though -- traded it off) and the 25% mohair by John Foster.

The fresco is somewhat thicker (even the lightest Minnis fresco), with a porous weave and slightly rough handle. The dye has significant variation/"mottling", which makes it much more casual.

The mohair however, is a more formal fabric, with a more even dye and darker colors. It is thin and translucent under light, though nowhere as porous as the fresco. It is much crisper, with a hand that can seem very slightly "scratchy" and the slightest of sheens to it.

macaroni

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer

The fresco is somewhat thicker (even the lightest Minnis fresco), with a porous weave and slightly rough handle. The dye has significant variation/"mottling", which makes it much more casual.

The casual look of fresco is what I like about the cloth. I was only concern about durability. I read somewhere that fresco will not hold crease well. Any thought on that?

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by macaroni
The casual look of fresco is what I like about the cloth. I was only concern about durability. I read somewhere that fresco will not hold crease well. Any thought on that?

I think it should hold a crease alright. I am told that the fresco tends to acquire a bit of "fuzziness" with wear but have no personal experience with it tailored into a suit.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These two cloths have such different characteristics and finishes. Choose the cloth for the style of suit you want and then decide if want it unlined.

When unlined I have noticed white shirts showing thru on the back parts due to the openness and loose weave of the Fresco. I use black canvass for dark frescoes to avoid the lighter color of canvass showing thru.

Naturlaut II

Reaction score
I have tried Minnis, Finmeresco, and Crispaire. The Minnis are hardwearing, the Crispaire are quite crisp; I find Finmeresco most "casual" in the sense that it really doesn't hold a crease as well as the others. However, the 12oz is an honest-to-god summer fabric and I really can't complain much when I can wear a whole suit outside under the heat of the midday sun. The Minnins are airy but are heavier, hence not at all something you'd like to wear in 90F+ temperature. The Crispaire are nice but scratchy, however it does hold a crease well and so I actually use the black for my concert suit.

One warning: do not get lining lighter than the fabric color. As the weave is completely open, when you are taking photos with flash you can actually see all the way into the lining. Opt for a darker lining, possibly even in the sleeves.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naturlaut II
The Minnins are airy but are heavier, hence not at all something you'd like to wear in 90F+ temperature.
Haven't try it yet but I can imagine. 15OZ wool fabrics for summer...probably no.
laugh.gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maccimus
Haven't try it yet but I can imagine. 15OZ wool fabrics for summer...probably no.
laugh.gif

Haha, I just had my 1st fitting yesterday on 15oz 3-ply Minnis Fresco.

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naturlaut II
Great for the humid weather in HK right now. Not too hot yet but the airiness will keep you cool.

You guys are incredible and crazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads