• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stopped in a few shops looking for a woven belt to copy Frenchy's bicycle grip trick.

Picked up a light tan Aquascutum trench. Single breasted and cropped a bit short (so either it is more recent or it was a forward looking design). Seems to fit slim enough.

Only problem is that it is got a fair amount of discoloration around the collar. Obviously it is going to the cleaners...but since it is 65% poly, 35% viscose, would it be safe to go at the collar with shout and a brush (or even oxy clean)?

It is permanently proofed aqua 5 and says dry clean only...but would this be good or should I see if the cleaners get it out?

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
I dont know....i rather like FUBU..
laugh.gif

Man....even FUBU ain't what it once was.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Stopped in a few shops looking for a woven belt to copy Frenchy's bicycle grip trick.
Picked up a light tan Aquascutum trench. Single breasted and cropped a bit short (so either it is more recent or it was a forward looking design). Seems to fit slim enough.

Only problem is that it is got a fair amount of discoloration around the collar. Obviously it is going to the cleaners...but since it is 65% poly, 35% viscose, would it be safe to go at the collar with shout and a brush (or even oxy clean)?

It is permanently proofed aqua 5 and says dry clean only...but would this be good or should I see if the cleaners get it out?

it never fails,when you are looking for one you wont find it.when you dont they are everywhere.
hint,after you unravel it hang each strand for a day with a weight at the end to straighten them out

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I don't think you missed too much. Hate to be blunt, but there has been a lot of crap showing up on here lately.

Well that's a shame. Guess I won't read those 100+ pages after all. I see 3 more pages have popped up just today. What's going on here? This thread used to be amazing. Too bad...

amadar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
Found a pair of Alden Foot Balance shoes--NEW! They retail for $900. On the down side-- they are narrow. 12B
frown.gif

$900? Is this true? If anybody has any information on this I am very interested as I recently just found some Alden Foot Balance shoes as well.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
Man....even FUBU ain't what it once was.

like a month ago i was looking through suits at one of my stops. There were 3 HIDEOUS suits there by FUBU. 6 button jackets, 24" pant leg openings, gaudy patterns/colors etc...They were about a size 52XL. This black dude and his old lady were looking at them and he started trying them on. He looked like about a 40R. He came out off the dressing room, and grabbed the others and was so excited for his new TUXEDOS lol.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A brand spank'n new pair of Woolrich bedroom slippers...suede and lined like Uggs, 7 bucks.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Penny loafers sewn by hippie = $900.
laugh.gif
Found some curious Boss pants; curious because they're pretty darn okay-ish. Wool, fitted, pleasantly lined...also some black sleekish RLPL pants that make me look like a waiter.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
it never fails,when you are looking for one you wont find it.when you dont they are everywhere.
hint,after you unravel it hang each strand for a day with a weight at the end to straighten them out

I altually did find one (it wasn't the first time I have looked though...but now the bike is almost complete so it is crunch time)

It was multicolored...brown, dark brown, green, and black. I did a test wrap and it looks like alternating brown and dark brown gets me just enough coverage and a gives it a nice look. Will probably twine wrap both ends to make it feel a pinch longer (rather than tucking in the bar-end end)

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somebody dumped a whole lot of shirts at my local Savers: there must have been 15 Ike Behar shirts, about as many BR and PRL shirts and similar all in 16 or 16.5 x 35, all in excellent condition and freshly dry cleaned. I grabbed a nice Canali, Zegna and Robert Talbott hoping they would fit but they are a little too snug (I am a 17x35 in BB) so trying to decide whether to throw em up on B&S or return them. Did manage to also get a nice RT necktie and J Crew cotton blazer (with surgeon's cuffs, LOL!).

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
like a month ago i was looking through suits at one of my stops. There were 3 HIDEOUS suits there by FUBU. 6 button jackets, 24" pant leg openings, gaudy patterns/colors etc...They were about a size 52XL. This black dude and his old lady were looking at them and he started trying them on. He looked like about a 40R. He came out off the dressing room, and grabbed the others and was so excited for his new TUXEDOS lol.
Are you saying that these don't look great?FUBU is the only suit maker I've seen that makes a 6 button suit coat that isn't double breasted.
lol8[1].gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I altually did find one (it wasn't the first time I have looked though...but now the bike is almost complete so it is crunch time)

It was multicolored...brown, dark brown, green, and black. I did a test wrap and it looks like alternating brown and dark brown gets me just enough coverage and a gives it a nice look. Will probably twine wrap both ends to make it feel a pinch longer (rather than tucking in the bar-end end)

the key is to get a long belt then one strand will be enough after you unravel it,by the way i cant take all the credit i got the idea off cannondale bikes

Xenos

Reaction score
Recent ties: Curiously, the Armani is handmade in Italy of 100% polyester. And the Luciano Barbera is about 1/3 shorter than a normal tie. Not even sure I can actually wear it.
IMG_1955.jpg
IMG_1956.jpg
IMG_1958.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_1960.jpg

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Found a pair of pretty nice Alden Shell loafers. They are black but have spots that have brown showing through mostly around the toe area. Does it sound like someone tried to have brown shoes dyed, and the dye didn't take very well due to the fact they are shell? I'm nervous to try to remove the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads