• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailors in seoul korea?

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quick pics from Hanh's
IMG_1383.jpg
IMG_1382.jpg
IMG_1381.jpg
IMG_1380.jpg
IMG_1379.jpg

Brett C.

Reaction score
From the tailor shops I visited, most tailors speak enough English, or at least assistants do.

Good idea to bring some pictures. I would suggest Googling the type of suit you would like to have made- i.e. "2 button double vent". You are bound to find some pictures that you like. Put those on a hard drive and print them in color at an instant photo shop so the tailor can see more clearly.

Make a list of details, for instance, if you want pick stitching around the lapel or if you want the pant cuff (or no cuff) to be lower in the back than the front.

duzichong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
quick pics from Hanh's

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

It is definitely useful for me to get some bespoke items in Itaewon tailors' store because I am just being in Seoul over 3 months. Maybe this weekend I wanna have a look at Hanh's or Savile row to get some shirts for summer.

Miha28

Reaction score
I'm getting few shirts made this or next week here in Daegu. I made a list of the details that I'd like:

• Removable collar bones
  • Matching patterns
  • Slim fitting
  • No breast pocket
  • Mother of Pearl buttons
  • Single cuff button
  • No pleats

Are there any Koreans here who could translate that into Korean so I can print it and take it with me? Any other details that might be worth pointing out? How to get the shirt that would really fit me? Should I bring any photos of the fitting I'd like?

duzichong

Reaction score
Hi every one here
according to the old posts and my searching in Seoul that there is not any decent tailor could be famous as British, Italian but even not as Japanese and Hongkong"˜s like W.W. Chan, Ascot, etc. however, some guys here may recomend that tailors in Korea have the same fine craftmanship and reputation but just not famous, hehe , who knows. these days i am focus on the itinerary of those Hongkong tailors but it is strange that they almost plan to stop in Japan but not to Korea.some Hongkong's bespoke items are attractive not only the quality but their price and it will be exciting if they can be seoul in some day.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by duzichong
Hi every one here
according to the old posts and my searching in Seoul that there is not any decent tailor could be famous as British, Italian but even not as Japanese and Hongkong"˜s like W.W. Chan, Ascot, etc. however, some guys here may recomend that tailors in Korea have the same fine craftmanship and reputation but just not famous, hehe , who knows. these days i am focus on the itinerary of those Hongkong tailors but it is strange that they almost plan to stop in Japan but not to Korea.some Hongkong's bespoke items are attractive not only the quality but their price and it will be exciting if they can be seoul in some day.

I've heard Hong Kong doesn't get saddled with Duty which, in large part, would explain how they fare so much better.

duzichong

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brett C.
Got my shirts in from Hamilton in Itaewon and (using only my 1 set of measurements) they managed to make one shirt too small in the arms (length and girth) and one shirt is far too big (in the waist). ----Therefore I am sending them back.

Goshe in Apgujeong made a pair of shirts that both fit perfectly. From the fall of the shoulders to the length of the sleeves to the tightness at my waist- they're exactly what I asked for. Also, the MOP buttons they use are thick and beautiful.

My advice, don't try to save a few bucks by using Hamilton. Goshe is worth the extra $$$. If I ever want some cheapo shirts I will just go to D. Peri. Cheaper than Hamilton and better fit.

Brett

I am a little curious that how can you make the tailor (Mr. Wong? maybe) understand your requirement? the fabrics in his workshop is excellent, at least not ever saw in other stores, but his english was poor that when i said to him hope not fuse but sew the interlining between the layers of the collar band and cuffs he answered that Goshe's process of collar and cuffs making were fusing only! in the end of the visit to his workshop last sat. he rejected me incredibly! however, i think he is the one i am looking for to make my shirt so i send an email to him to show him my details and perhaps this weekend i am going to check out again together with my itemized requirement printed out in advance.

the problem is why he can't do sewing the interlining but fusing only? the savile row accept it without even a second doubting so i ordered a shirt there. i wanna book another in Goshe and compare the craftmanship with savile row's. if anybody know the condition about the craftmanship of the two workshops pls show me and post something more. tks all.

Brett C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by duzichong
Brett

I am a little curious that how can you make the tailor (Mr. Wong? maybe) understand your requirement? the fabrics in his workshop is excellent, at least not ever saw in other stores, but his english was poor that when i said to him hope not fuse but sew the interlining between the layers of the collar band and cuffs he answered that Goshe's process of collar and cuffs making were fusing only! in the end of the visit to his workshop last sat. he rejected me incredibly! however, i think he is the one i am looking for to make my shirt so i send an email to him to show him my details and perhaps this weekend i am going to check out again together with my itemized requirement printed out in advance.

the problem is why he can't do sewing the interlining but fusing only? the savile row accept it without even a second doubting so i ordered a shirt there. i wanna book another in Goshe and compare the craftmanship with savile row's. if anybody know the condition about the craftmanship of the two workshops pls show me and post something more. tks all.

I forget exactly who I talked with, and you are right, the shirt collars are fused! I have not, however, found this to hinder the shirts' quality. Removable collar stays would be nice, but not necessary as the collars are stiff and sharp even after a hand-washing in cold water or wearing twice without ironing in-between. Also, even though Savile row told you that they would stitch the collar, I would wait to see it first. Mr. Choi there told me that the buttons on my suit would be horn but I found 3 buttons with the exact same pattern of striations and 2 others that book-matched. Every competitive business in Seoul will promise you the world, but I have found Goshe to at least be truthful.

duzichong

Reaction score
I forget exactly who I talked with, and you are right, the shirt collars are fused! I have not, however, found this to hinder the shirts' quality. Removable collar stays would be nice, but not necessary as the collars are stiff and sharp even after a hand-washing in cold water or wearing twice without ironing in-between.

Also, even though Savile row told you that they would stitch the collar, I would wait to see it first. Mr. Choi there told me that the buttons on my suit would be horn but I found 3 buttons with the exact same pattern of striations and 2 others that book-matched.

Every competitive business in Seoul will promise you the world, but I have found Goshe to at least be truthful.

i have checked both savile row and goshe spending almost half a month. at first i ordered a shirt in savile row using korean fabric and picked it up last weekend. how to say, the quality was just so so compared with my rtw shirt including fabric, botton, craftmanship and especially stitching. checked it carefully i found the right hand gaunltet botton was not in the right place that made the cuff not flat while bottoned as well as the inside layer edge of cuff was visible. of course, some thrum inside and in the corner that acceptable, it was okay for a shirt valued just 60,000 won except the gaunlet botton and visible inside layer edge of cuff.
goshe is different when i checked it out yestoday. goshe is a proffesional shirtmaker, just shirt but not suit or any other things and the owner, mr. lee, is proffesional enough to answer your questions about his making process. both mr. choe, the owner of savile row, and mr. lee can speak fluentl english. you will find more and better fabrics in goshe and the price i think is reasonable for a shirt made by thomas mason fabric, it is said s140 2X2 but who knows, valued 99,000 won. i booked a piece of goshe shirt after checking the craftmanship which is better than savile row's and i will pick it up next saturday. as to the collar interlining, i decided to accept goshe's option when we discussed it by email. and now i am expecting some discoveries after goshe shirt coming out.

duzichong

Reaction score
I forget exactly who I talked with, and you are right, the shirt collars are fused! I have not, however, found this to hinder the shirts' quality. Removable collar stays would be nice, but not necessary as the collars are stiff and sharp even after a hand-washing in cold water or wearing twice without ironing in-between.

Also, even though Savile row told you that they would stitch the collar, I would wait to see it first. Mr. Choi there told me that the buttons on my suit would be horn but I found 3 buttons with the exact same pattern of striations and 2 others that book-matched.

Every competitive business in Seoul will promise you the world, but I have found Goshe to at least be truthful.

funally, i got goshe shirt this afternoon which was acceptable comparing with its quality and thought that i would never be back to savile row. i am so regretful to make extra 2 shirts, white and blue, and both were big problems with the gaunlet bottons which were not in the right place when bottoned up as well as it was the second time need to alter. furthermore, the fabric were noticeable not the same as the first time and it was inferior, of course. it was a total wrong decision to make such f**king stuffs in itaewon in which the tailors were not worth trust definitely. i had to send them back to savile row the third time tomorrow and ask the guy to return my money, that is enough.

lovegtm

Reaction score
Anyone know a decent place to go in Seoul for dress pants (not suit)? Along the lines of simple grey wool, but good quality. Really sick of Dongdaemunesque crap.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovegtm
Anyone know a decent place to go in Seoul for dress pants (not suit)? Along the lines of simple grey wool, but good quality. Really sick of Dongdaemunesque crap.

Just go to any suit maker and ask for pants. Go to a recommended place in the thread. It'll be a little bit expensive but nothing crazy.

Make sure you know exactly what you want and bring examples of fit.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Just go to any suit maker and ask for pants. Go to a recommended place in the thread. It'll be a little bit expensive but nothing crazy.

Make sure you know exactly what you want and bring examples of fit.

+1. No reason why any tailor couldn't make a pair of pants without the jacket.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found a pair of awesome 할아버지배바지 at the outdoor market that I rock from time to time. Had em hemmed a bit long for my taste though.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also try Uniqlo, great fit and price, if you don't feel like spending a lot on custom pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads