• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Florsheim by Duckie Brown Cordovan Shoe & Boot Thread

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
domo.jpg

LMAO thats funny!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by isshinryu101
With so many cordo longwing options available, may I ask why you'd keep them?
I'd be happy to tell you why. Because the Duckie Brown line and the Veblen are better than anything Florsheim has produced in a long long time. The quality will be there, especially for this price. I do acknowledge the initial industrial-like scent that the OP is concerned about. This will weaken and disappear in time, and I would rather have spent money on these current and new Duckie Brown cordos, than seek out some NOS pair of 20 or more years ago where the condition of the cordo will be questionable. Secondly, it is the color. This butterscotch color is just so beautiful and uncommon that I would make an exception in this case. I just don't think you can find this color in cordo for the same price anywhere else, and if anyone knows another option please post it. These Florsheim Duckie Brown longwings are half the price of a pair of Alden lonwings in Whiskey cordo. I am seriously considering buying a pair of these Florshiems myself.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
One plus is that these shoes fit great! I am a TTS 12 and these 12D fit perfectly! I have a pair of Alden LWs on the grant last in 11.5 and these fit just as good if not better

Now this is what I want to know -- where'd you get Alden LWBs on the Grant last? They're mostly on the Barrie, which for a non-boot shoe looks far too gunboat-ish, even for a gunboat, as it were.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Now this is what I want to know -- where'd you get Alden LWBs on the Grant last? They're mostly on the Barrie, which for a non-boot shoe looks far too gunboat-ish, even for a gunboat, as it were.
Cordovan Long Wingtip Shoe made by Alden on the Grant last for Brooks Brothers
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
These Florsheim Duckie Brown longwings are half the price of a pair of Alden lonwings in Whiskey cordo. I am seriously considering buying a pair of these Florshiems myself.
You make some very good points. After giving it some thought I have called BB and asked that they send me replacement pair. If that one arrives without any flaws I will be keep them. I have a BB gift card that I need to use
blush.gif
Originally Posted by imageWIS
The stitching =
ffffuuuu.gif

use nail clippers to cut off excess stitching?
lol8[1].gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently this shoe is already sold out. I called earlier today to exchange my pair and the CS rep informed me that not only has it sold out, they don't expect them to be restocked either.

This is comical because the shoe is featured in the SP/SU 2011 collection and spring just started. Well done BB, well done

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Apparently this shoe is already sold out. I called earlier today to exchange my pair and the CS rep informed me that not only has it sold out, they don't expect them to be restocked either.

This is comical because the shoe is featured in the SP/SU 2011 collection and spring just started. Well done BB, well done

return it without a receipt and try to get store credit for the full retail. i've done this before.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
return it without a receipt and try to get store credit for the full retail. i've done this before.

Actually, please DO NOT do this.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flimsychicken
Actually, please DO NOT do this.

they sent him a defective pair of shoes. if they can't send him a replacement pair then he should at least be able to have the money of full retail to go towards a different pair of cordovan shoes since the sale is no longer active. i would talk with customer service first to see if they will do it for you, of course.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If the fit is spot on, I could probably live with it esp at the price you got. Some polishing or whatever you do to cordovan would probably do wonders.

Th Aldens on the Grant last are pretty nice. Why did BB stop doing the multiple views of the shoes? That was great.

Originally Posted by ryoneo
DOMO!!!
smile.gif

This cracked me up.
snork[1].gif

Originally Posted by isshinryu101
If someone was trying to buy some cordo long-wings, I would HAVE to suggest just getting a pair of old Florsheim v-cleats, or an older Alden model. Unless it's NOS, the vintage shells are a great bargain, I think. Florsheim v-cleats with minimal wear run from $125-$175 on ebay, and vintage Aldens maybe 2x that. ALSO, the construction was great then.

+1. I have some NOS V-cleats I'll put on B&S soon. They're awesome.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
they sent him a defective pair of shoes. if they can't send him a replacement pair then he should at least be able to have the money of full retail to go towards a different pair of cordovan shoes since the sale is no longer active. i would talk with customer service first to see if they will do it for you, of course.
I should mention that CS suggested I check back in a few months to see if the shoe gets restocked. If it does, they will honor the original discounted price.
Originally Posted by Parker
If the fit is spot on, I could probably live with it esp at the price you got. Some polishing or whatever you do to cordovan would probably do wonders.
I agree, the cordovan could have been worked on but there were just too many defects with this shoe; 1. Discoloration of leather caused from tanning oils 2. Loose stitching on vamp 3. Enlarged heel on just one shoe 4. Smell of lacquer was extremely strong If I had to deal with just one of these issues I would have kept them. Just too many issues for me to let it slide

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i should have kept these. now i just have BB credit laying around and this would have been the perfect spring/summer shoe
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads