• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Airports

Bohdathone

Reaction score
+1 on Copenhagen. Nice facilities and great design. Dubai's Emirates-only terminal is good, but it's better to be in one of the lounges as getting a seat at the Burger Kings/Starbucks etc can be tough at busy times. Heathrow T5 has some nice shops/restaurants

BKK Suvarnubhumi is pretty nice, and I never seem to have to queue at Changi which is cool. Really want to check out Incheon after the recs here.

I was a bit disappointed by Narita when I was there a few weeks ago. The duty-free was below average which is a real shame when Japan is known for its great retail.

Doha is also very below average in terms of shops/restaurants which is surprising given the huge wealth of Qatar. Bahrain also isn't up to much.

Djibouti in East Africa is as crap as you'd expect. Addis Ababa has had some money spent on it and looks surprisingly good, but the service is total junk, as are the shop and cafe

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As domestic airports go, I know people love to hate on O'Hare and SFO, but I've had decent luck at both. I think both have nice enough terminals - nice and open, with not horrible food selection. The int'l terminal at SFO is particularly decent. Having BART run right out of there is nice. I hate the inter-terminal tram at O'Hare and their security fairly much sucks (as it does just about everywhere) but the nice open feel of terminal 1 is not half-bad.

I fly out of Dulles a lot and I really am not a fan. The buses are goofy though it's really the small, confined-feeling terminals I dislike.

Worst airports: Heathrow is a joke. The Brits generally do such a good job with public-use facilities and organization, so I think they must have done Heathrow as a cruel experiment.

I have had an awful time with JFK. Also Newark.

gastarbeider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
ICN.

it's been awhile, but i found it unremarkable.

Originally Posted by Bohdathone
+1 on Copenhagen. Nice facilities and great design. Dubai's Emirates-only terminal is good, but it's better to be in one of the lounges as getting a seat at the Burger Kings/Starbucks etc can be tough at busy times. Heathrow T5 has some nice shops/restaurants

BKK Suvarnubhumi is pretty nice, and I never seem to have to queue at Changi which is cool. Really want to check out Incheon after the recs here.

I was a bit disappointed by Narita when I was there a few weeks ago. The duty-free was below average which is a real shame when Japan is known for its great retail.

Doha is also very below average in terms of shops/restaurants which is surprising given the huge wealth of Qatar. Bahrain also isn't up to much.

Djibouti in East Africa is as crap as you'd expect. Addis Ababa has had some money spent on it and looks surprisingly good, but the service is total junk, as are the shop and cafe

bkk even worse.

schiphol gets my vote for ease of access.

Bananafish

Reaction score
I don't think it's been completed yet, but Shenzhen International in China will be a modernist architectural marvel when it's finnished!

My favorite in the US is easily Dulles Airport in DC, the original main terminal designed by Eero Saarinen. It's an amazing building.

O'Hare in Chicago is kinda neat too.

And I always enjoy stopovers at LAX for cocktails at the space age Encounter lounge. The rest is nothing special though.

I really like Charles De Gaulle in Paris as well - amazingly cool and way mod architecture!

Airports in Europe and the East (Zurich, Munich, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, etc) are just insane... they're more like mega malls with theatres, arcades, shopping, restaurants, etc. It's certainly way more convenient for long layovers, but I find them far too busy and overwhelming. I'll take the classic era of jetset when personalized catering and service came before expediency... those were the days of high livin'!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love O'hare as a home airport - I can get pretty much anywhere from here.

I like miami - it has the best airport food, in my opinion

Lima airport is pretty good

Narita is pretty good, good food, good lounges

Changi is great.

the new Ben Gurion is a great airport

Istanbul is a very good airport

Munich is very good

Frankfurt and Amsterdam have a very special spot in my heart, I have spent a lot of time in them.

I like heathrow 5, its actually gown on my, and the available food and beer isn't bad

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LGA and JFK (with the exception of the international terminal) are absolutely horrific.

Bananafish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I like miami - it has the best airport food, in my opinion

I usually fly into FLL but where do you eat at MIA?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bananafish
I usually fly into FLL but where do you eat at MIA?

La careta - its my favorite, cuban food really lends itself to being carried on.

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In US? LGB, blast out of the past. Hope they never remodel it (or have they)? ALL other US airports suck, designed by sadists who have deep understanding of the psychology of making the inhabitants feel off guard and uncomfortable. One would feel better in a cattle feed lot.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imhoff
Rather enjoyed Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.

+1

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bananafish
Forgot to mention Barajas in Madrid as well!

Yeah, I've been there, it's quite nice.

But O'Hare? There is a reason I call that place the Hub of all Evil. The airport is indeed nice enough, but your schedule gets dicked up every time you fly through there. Without fail.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the new addition to RDU. Really no way for you to **** up since its pretty much a straight shot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads