• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

halisray

Reaction score
What blows me away is that this idiot is talking **** about ToJ when he has never handled a ToJ jacket.. sigh.. trolls these days

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by halisray
What blows me away is that this idiot is talking **** about ToJ when he has never handled a ToJ jacket.. sigh.. trolls these days

So what? People talk **** all the time about Black Scissors despite so many never having handled one.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't, or at least haven't, read much bashing on BS in here though.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
So what? People talk **** all the time about Black Scissors despite so many never having handled one.

1) leathers are obviously low qual, even in pictures
2) they're copies of well known design so the differences are glaring
3) some are opposed to the idea of copying

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright and your point?

Not one point, but a couple:

1. Every person on this forum has probably at one point made a judgement call on quality or whatever without first-hand experience, me included, and, if I dredged through your post history, probably yourself as well - so the "blows me away" rhetoric is a bit dramatic

2. First-hand experience, touching, handling....whatever is not the only criteria for making a judgement. There are in fact so many criteria for doing so, and justifiable ones. Ideally you wouldn't judge anything without first-hand experience, but, then again, we also all know that first-hand experience with any piece can mean alot or nothing at all.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Not one point, but a couple:

1. Every person on this forum has probably at one point made a judgement call on quality or whatever without first-hand experience, me included, and, if I dredged through your post history, probably yourself as well - so the "blows me away" rhetoric is a bit dramatic

2. First-hand experience, touching, handling....whatever is not the only criteria for making a judgement. There are in fact so many criteria for doing so, and justifiable ones. Ideally you wouldn't judge anything without first-hand experience, but, then again, we also all know that first-hand experience with any piece can mean alot or nothing at all.

I am interested in what criteria Fuuma and somatoform consider as it pertains to quality; use leather jackets as an example if needed
stirpot.gif

951socal

Reaction score
i don't like what i see style wise, that maison martin margiela covered zip...you haven't handled it but already wrote it off. i dislike it too, and i also dislike TOJ leathers. due to the same principle one of the main selling points you people keep pounding/addressing are the YKK zippers, which are used because they simply have the greatest market share of all time. BUT HIS ZIPPERS ARE YKK JAPAN! YKK is Japanese company, you know what YKK stands for? Yoshida Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YKK_Group so those jansport backpacks and levis jeans all have the same mass produced zippers as your "high quality one of a kind zippers" as for the actual leather/hide they don't impress me at all, they look like typical mall leather jackets. with layers of plastic over dye. there probably is a reason they don't come in a cracked treatment, its probably becuase there is a millimeter or 2 of plastic based dye on the actual hide. would not suprise me if the hide was bonded either. like cheap automotive seats Not to mention the over use of hardware, they look like slim cut shorter perfectos you get at that crappy store wilsons, but market towards men who hang out in gay bars

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
so you consider yourself to be knowledgeable on zippers, with that swift wikipedia search? You should cut your losses here man, and give it up already....

linkinwayne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
i don't like what i see style wise, that maison martin margiela covered zip...you haven't handled it but already wrote it off.

i dislike it too, and i also dislike TOJ leathers. due to the same principle

one of the main selling points you people keep pounding/addressing are the YKK zippers, which are used because they simply have the greatest market share of all time.

BUT HIS ZIPPERS ARE YKK JAPAN!

YKK is Japanese company, you know what YKK stands for?
Yoshida Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YKK_Group

so those jansport backpacks and levis jeans all have the same mass produced zippers as your "high quality one of a kind zippers"

as for the leathers they don't impress me at all, they look like typical mall leather jackets.
Not to mention the over use of hardware, they look like slim cut shorter perfectos you get at that crappy store wilsons, but market towards men who hang out in gay bars

best troll ever

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
so you consider yourself to be knowledgeable on zippers, with that swift wikipedia search? You should cut your losses here man, and give it up already....

no, but its fairly obvious he got them for cheap and is using it as a marketing gimmick.
then again i don't expect anyone wih TOJ as their location and a guy with WTB: ANY TOJ AND BLACK SCISSORS LEATHERS

to give any unbiased opinions what so ever. something in your life has made you loyal to this man knocking out "MTM" leathers in his garage.
Really though, how can you claim thats made to measure? you're not even there for it, he's not a tailor ....

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
i don't like what i see style wise

See, that's the thing, you hate ToJ because of the style, which is weird because if you think about it, the moto and 5-zip are essentially the same jacket with just different zipper placement.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CCP uses YKK. I've had YKK, RIRI, Lampo, MRS, and OPTI zippers on a number of high-end designer goods and they all seem the same, so I'm not sure wtf this stupid point is you are trying to make. Aso, holding up Margiela as some pinnacle of quality is kind of ... funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads