• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

REguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
New arrival, Snuff on Barrie last, flex welt, lined in the back, no lining on tongue or toe.

Chris, just out of curiousity, did you buy the same size in the unlined as you wear in other shoes on the Barrie? The reason I ask is that I had to go down an additional 1/2 size in the unlined PTBs that I have.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New arrival, Snuff on Barrie last, flex welt, lined in the back, no lining on tongue or toe.

Where are these from? Been looking for snuff, most places only have sand or navy. Thanks!

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would vote for commando, in terms of year round.
Likewise. I cannot see myself buying a pair of Alden with crepe sole. I have several pairs of Clarks DB's with crepe sole and they are kinda crap after about 2 seasons of constant wearing. At $95 a pair, I didn't worry. But with Aldens, I would. It's also impossible to keep the crepe sole clean. Once they're dirty...they're dirty.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Likewise. I cannot see myself buying a pair of Alden with crepe sole. I have several pairs of Clarks DB's with crepe sole and they are kinda crap after about 2 seasons of constant wearing. At $95 a pair, I didn't worry. But with Aldens, I would. It's also impossible to keep the crepe sole clean. Once they're dirty...they're dirty.

The crepe sole that Alden uses is of much better quality than the crepe soles on Clark DBs

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
Chris, just out of curiousity, did you buy the same size in the unlined as you wear in other shoes on the Barrie? The reason I ask is that I had to go down an additional 1/2 size in the unlined PTBs that I have.

Same size, they fit the same. Do your unlined have the partial lining?

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing a LWB on a low profile commando sole, cannot decide between ravello or No 8, HALP.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5548307648_35d4458610_z.jpg

cigar indys in front of the notre dame ...

so i ran by the DC alden store and they have no idea about the special makeup of ravello captoes or whatever was mentioned earlier. whoever mentioned that could you please recheck your source on that one?!?!?

HorseHide

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
5548307648_35d4458610_z.jpg

cigar indys in front of the notre dame ...

so i ran by the DC alden store and they have no idea about the special makeup of ravello captoes or whatever was mentioned earlier. whoever mentioned that could you please recheck your source on that one?!?!?

Last time I was in DC (maybe 3 weeks ago now - too many airplanes) I stopped by the Alden store and spoke w Kathy. We somehow got onto the ravello cap toes that I bought there (the shoes that Mac highlighted) and she told me the story about how they were a mistake but how much she loved them. Then she said "Maybe I'll do them again."

That's it.

When you were in, did you check out the blue suede bluchers? I have a pair arriving tomorrow.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HorseHide
Last time I was in DC (maybe 3 weeks ago now - too many airplanes) I stopped by the Alden store and spoke w Kathy. We somehow got onto the ravello cap toes that I bought there (the shoes that Mac highlighted) and she told me the story about how they were a mistake but how much she loved them. Then she said "Maybe I'll do them again."

That's it.

When you were in, did you check out the blue suede bluchers? I have a pair arriving tomorrow.

really thats so crazy. i spoke directly to kathy and she said she had no special make ups in ravello at all. she only had ravello longwings on order and had no plans and didnt know why i thought she had a special order and actually told me to check leather soul or leffot or carmel. i even said it was a mistake order on the plaza last and she still didnt budge. oh well.

if you talk to her again ask her if there was an asian kid that asked her about it today and then PM me if she figures herself out. then i can try again later lol

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
really thats so crazy. i spoke directly to kathy and she said she had no special make ups in ravello at all. she only had ravello longwings on order and had no plans and didnt know why i thought she had a special order and actually told me to check leather soul or leffot or carmel. i even said it was a mistake order on the plaza last and she still didnt budge. oh well.

if you talk to her again ask her if there was an asian kid that asked her about it today and then PM me if she figures herself out. then i can try again later lol

Sounds like she was just telling someone what they wanted to hear. Happens all the time with sales people...

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Doing a LWB on a low profile commando sole, cannot decide between ravello or No 8, HALP.
I would go Ravello. Its harder to find and looks great as a LWB. You can satisfy your No 8 itch through eBay, B&S, Brooks Brothers, etc.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, I think we need to resolve this issue. Mac posted his ravello cap toes, which he has posted before. Someone asked if they were a special make-up and who did them. The answer was that it was Alden DC that had them, but it was never planned bc Alden screwed up the order. These shoes were sold out quite a long time ago. Kathy does not have them now, never created them (bc it was a screwed up order), and does not have them on order now.

Contrary to what the other poster said, Kathy is not leading you on like sales people do.

Hope this fixes the mix-up.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thx that makes much better sense. now i can move on and continue my hunt for ravello and whiskey makeups to complete the holy cordovan grail

REguy

Reaction score
Same size, they fit the same. Do your unlined have the partial lining?

I actually own the exact same shoe along with the tan and navy versions. I do think the dimensions are the same as lined versions. However, the reason I went down by 1/2 compared to my lined Barries is that I felt like there was a lot of extra play in the unlined toe. Different strokes for different folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads