• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Good for you. Like I said, that is nice and all but numerous people here has stated the 5-zip quality has declined. I've handled last seasons offerings from last season in the store and it wasn't as nice as I had hoped.

Also, did you pay $700 for this MMM 5-zip? Because you are telling people to buy a 5-zip for the same price when it it much more popular these days and harder to find and chances are quality won't be on par.

Why are you knocking ToJ so much anyways when you have no experience with it and there have been countless satisfied customers?

no, i bought it for more years ago

but MMM leathers are ******* cheap nowadays
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MAISON-MARTI...item5adf9f0bed

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
no, i bought it for more years ago

but MMM leathers are ******* cheap nowadays
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MAISON-MARTI...item5adf9f0bed

That is not a 5-zip though.
Yeah if you just want any MMM leather for the name, there are plenty ugly ones that goes for less but we are talking about the 5-zip here. And again you continue to disregard that MMM leather these days may (most likely be) not as good as it was 10 years ago.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as far as the YKK zippers, sure they are fine, but they are also cheap. YKK zippers are found on cheap clothing like dockers and levis. and as a kid those jansport backpacks with the zippers that always break after about 6 months of use? Ykk sourced
facepalm.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
there are plenty of 5-zips out there in size 50+ in the undesirable post-2001 color variants that are always dirt cheap - remember the cracked grey one Binker had that he couldn't sell forever? All 5-zips are not smooth black calf; there exists cracked green slime, cracked grey - there are about 5 times as many crappy colors as there are black/good colors (fwiw besides black, there's maybe two or three other variants that I would consider 'good') - market price for a 1999 or 2001 smooth black calf MMM 5-zip with MRS zippers in good condition, size 44-48, is about $2000 on yahoo jp, and that's stayed steady for at least the last 2 years or more.

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
That is not a 5-zip though.
Yeah if you just want any MMM leather for the name, there are plenty ugly ones that goes for less but we are talking about the 5-zip here. And again you continue to disregard that MMM leather these days may (most likely be) not as good as it was 10 years ago.

i admit they rarely pop up for sale, and they went down in quality over the years and since the acquisition of the brand by the denim giant. but it is still a hell of a deal compared to this forum brand.

not to mention these cropped double riders they are famous for are not really my style, neither are the stooges leathers. but to each their own.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i admit they rarely pop up for sale, and they went down in quality over the years and since the acquisition of the brand by the denim giant. but it is still a hell of a deal compared to this forum brand.

Which you've never owned or handled so you really have no idea how ToJ compares in quality. So MMM 5-zips are a hell of a deal in an off chance that it might be of better quality for a lot more money and in a used condition?

not to mention these cropped double riders they are famous for are not really my style, neither are the stooges leathers. but to each their own.

It's not your style so you hate on it? Plus I always thought ToJ was more famous for their varsities.

Binker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
there are plenty of 5-zips out there in size 50+ in the undesirable post-2001 color variants that are always dirt cheap - remember the cracked grey one Binker had that he couldn't sell forever? All 5-zips are not smooth black calf; there exists cracked green slime, cracked grey - there are about 5 times as many crappy colors as there are black/good colors (fwiw besides black, there's maybe two or three other variants that I would consider 'good') - market price for a 1999 or 2001 smooth black calf MMM 5-zip with MRS zippers in good condition, size 44-48, is about $2000 on yahoo jp, and that's stayed steady for at least the last 2 years or more.
actually I resold it super quick, didnt even post it here and it was gone within like two days of hitting ebay
biggrin.gif
dude that was selling it on B&S/sufu had it up forever though and did many drops. i actually dont think that colorway is that bad, it was a nice grey with solid character, certainly not as nice as straight black, but wearable. the weight, stiffness, and texture, however, made it a really cumbersome jacket for me. btw do those five zips that sit there at like 180000 yen ever actually sell? when they hit yjp with no "buy it now" they seem to consistently go from anywhere between 50000 to 90000 yen, depending on the condition/colorway.

bob99

Reaction score
OK, since it's the topic at hand. I want to buy a MMM 5-zip in black, size 50. Where is the best place to get one for below retail? I've looked at the Yahoo Japan auctions, but there don't ever seem to be any of the black ones. Same goes for Yoox, they're always white, grey, or dad-color tan. They're rarely up on north american eBay either, the last one was very destroyed.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
50 is gonna be a rare size in Japan - that's too big for most Japanese guys, they wear 44, 46, rarely 48. Black was also only made for several non consecutive years - FW99 (the first edition one, which I have) and then 01, and a few other years. 2005 or so is where they stop using MRS zippers, a single season of 2006 has a black one with Riri zippers, and then the rest are YKK with the square head, which doesn't suit the design as well - the reason being that the zippers are at an angle yet the square heads don't swivel freely as the round MRS ones did.

tl; dr version: good luck finding a black 50 in a good version. On forums and at sales, 50 is easier to pick up, but yahoo jp is where you want a 44-46, if you can spend $1500-2000 (200,000Y is more like $2400 nowadays, though, and that's where the BNWT and excellent condition black calf examples sit)

Barnabus

Reaction score
i by chance happened to catch "blade" the other night and fell in love with the leather jacket one of the characters was wearing

a82sxdbvj8p7s2d7.jpg

Wish i could find a better fuller pic but thats the best i got so far. I like the quality of the leather and the lapels. It manages not to fall into the new york ****** look

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
as far as the YKK zippers, sure they are fine, but they are also cheap.
YKK zippers are found on cheap clothing like dockers and levis.

and as a kid those jansport backpacks with the zippers that always break after about 6 months of use? Ykk sourced

not that you had any credibility, but this has removed any doubt that you're functionally marsupialed

Emixam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hurhur
I haven't got it in my hands yet. got it at 695USD shipped.

very nice price, and I actually saw it on SZ

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
not that you had any credibility, but this has removed any doubt that you're functionally marsupialed
wait..... you're that guy or girl?! you know you're a meme/joke all over tumblr, and /fa/ right? i had no idea you actually went on forums, and that you were serious with the way that you dress.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
/fa/ is the pinnacle of well-dressed men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads