• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emixam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hurhur
Was about to order a TOJ band collar, but ended up with buying a Attachment band collar instead.

Attachment Grey Goatskin Band Collar Leather

2wcfwxe.jpg

2qcgob4.jpg

well done, it looks nice. Do you have close-up ? How much was it ?

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
why would the MMM "age nicer", serious question

in my opinion they are cut better, less trendier. The label in the future would make it worth more than some leather made in some guy's garage who is praised becuase someone on a forum said he makes better jackets than owens.

inb4 who said his jakcets are better than owens.

You, unless you forgot

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
4th, ToJ is better quality than RO

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 951socal
in my opinion they are cut better, less trendier. The label in the future would make it worth more than some leather made in some guy's garage who is praised becuase someone on a forum said he makes better jackets than owens.

we're not actually buying them to resell.

also, in 20 years the resale price is gonna be pretty **** anyway, whether it's dick or otherwise

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You are saying MMM 5-zip cut is less trendy than ToJ? That makes no sense since ToJ follows a more classic style and MMM are cut fuller.

most jackets hovered around there, but you could get pleanty of jakcets ranging from a MMM 5 zip to a used CCP jacket on ebay for the price of an TOJ leather, not to mention resaleablity and it would age much nicer.

Again, these are not readily available. I haven't seen an MMM 5-zip on sale at ebay in my size for 1.5 years now. There are also 1 or 2 that goes for less than $1k, you act like you can go to ebay and see this anytime you want. Even on b/s forums it isn't readily available. I don't see many used CCP leathers around $700 range either.

You really do not know how these leather would age unless you actually have each for years. I have some Rick Owens leathers and the leather quality varies, some are spectacularly nice while others are very thin. And since it doesn't seem like you've owned either RO or ToJ, I'm going to say you are less qualified to say how these leather will age compared to each others who has owned or has experience with the products.

coldforge

Reaction score
Gothninja is less trendy than perfecto/moto variants?

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
You are saying MMM 5-zip cut is less trendy than ToJ? That makes no sense since ToJ follows a more classic style and MMM are cut fuller.

Again, these are not readily available. I haven't seen an MMM 5-zip on sale at ebay in my size for 1.5 years now. There are also 1 or 2 that goes for less than $1k, you act like you can go to ebay and see this anytime you want. Even on b/s forums it isn't readily available. I don't see many used CCP leathers around $700 range either.

You really do not know how these leather would age unless you actually have each for years. I have some Rick Owens leathers and the leather quality varies, some are spectacularly nice while others are very thin. And since it doesn't seem like you've owned either RO or ToJ, I'm going to say you are less qualified to say how these leather will age compared to each others who has owned or has experience with the products.

to establish my point,
i am willing to sell MY PERSONAL pre-diesel Maison martin margiela line 10 5 zip
for what it will run you to get a TOJ jacket + shipping.

in a 50

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And since it doesn't seem like you've owned either RO or ToJ, I'm going to say you are less qualified to say how these leather will age compared to each others who has owned or has experience with the products.
But bro...I've read through every single page of this thread so I AM an expert. Despite being a broke college student, I laugh at those peasants buying jackets that merely cost $700.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to establish my point, i am willing to sell MY PERSONAL pre-diesel Maison martin margiela line 10 5 zip for what it will run you to get a TOJ jacket + shipping. in a 50
Originally Posted by robertorex
How's your calf compare to the calf on your old margiela 5-zip? I mean, we know your lamb's the **** but where do you think your calf ranks on the ladder of all calf leathers used?
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
if you could see my MMM leather in person, this question is not even a question - the jacket looks cool because it's been worn to death for almost 12 years, but it's not high quality. The MMM calf is about one to one with the TOJ stuff on the topside finish though I might be edging the MMM out a bit, it's hard to tell since there isn't an unwrinkled spot on my MMM anywhere (our calf is near flawless in the hide and we pay a huge premium for that) but the MMM is very thin for calf, not even 3oz, more like 2oz (about 0.6-8mm, it's really quite thin), the lining is cheap cotton+viscose (that has gaping holes all over, and I have to stuff the strands of sleeve lining back into the sleeves), all the seams around the zippers and placket are just sewn and then excess edges are cut - when the seams break away from the stitching there's nothing to do about repairing it cleanly that way. The jacket is missing the little flashing details of leather that 'hide' the zips like on my TOJ jackets, etc, and the folded over/sewn seams. The MRS zippers are nice on the MMM, but pound for pound the YKK Japans are about as good functionally - which is why MMM themselves moved to the same YKK zips later on. If you ever look at the Junya X Vanson leathers, you see they use the same exact front zip as we do. It's the same part in a bright finish.
stirpot.gif

951socal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
But bro...I've read through every single page of this thread so I AM an expert. Despite being a broke college student, I laugh at those peasants buying jackets that merely cost $700.

I am a broke college student, but leathers are not out of reach. a nicer leather is about the cost of books for a quarter, that or just sell off a nitrous kit i have lying around for the drag project sitting at my parents house i finished back before i decided to go after the degree...

not everyone here is a stoner who has no life ambitions

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
to establish my point,
i am willing to sell MY PERSONAL pre-diesel Maison martin margiela line 10 5 zip
for what it will run you to get a TOJ jacket + shipping.

in a 50

Sadly, I am not dumb enough to pay $700+ for a 10 year old leather jacket (that is 2 sizes too big) just to see whether it lives up to ToJ's standard.

And that doesn't really establish your point, MMM 5-zips quality today most likely has declined from it's pre-Diesel days so saying the 5-zip of today will age better than ToJ is an overstatement.

When I get my ToJ, I can offer my opinion on the difference between it and RO.

951socal

Reaction score
Sadly, I am not dumb enough to pay $700+ for a 10 year old leather jacket (that is 2 sizes too big) just to see whether it lives up to ToJ's standard. And that doesn't really establish your point, MMM 5-zips quality today most likely has declined from it's pre-Diesel days so saying the 5-zip of today will age better than ToJ is an overstatement. When I get my ToJ, I can offer my opinion on the difference between it and RO.
Take my word for it then, it still is as nice as the day i bought it. as far as the guy who owns temple of jeans putting it down to promote his product saying the lining rips. i'd find that unlikely since my linning has no holes or damage what so ever. as far as the YKK zippers, sure they are fine, but they are also cheap. YKK zippers are found on cheap clothing like dockers and levis. and as a kid those jansport backpacks with the zippers that always break after about 6 months of use? Ykk sourced

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take my word for it then, it still is as nice as the day i bought it.

Good for you. Like I said, that is nice and all but numerous people here has stated the 5-zip quality has declined. I've handled last seasons offerings from last season in the store and it wasn't as nice as I had hoped.

Also, did you pay $700 for this MMM 5-zip? Because you are telling people to buy a 5-zip for the same price when it it much more popular these days and harder to find and chances are quality won't be on par.

Why are you knocking ToJ so much anyways when you have no experience with it and there have been countless satisfied customers?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslade
"shoulder to shoulder: 17.5 inches
pit to pit:18.5/19
sleeve to cuff: 25
length: 23 inches"

My s2s is about 17.5", and my p2p" is about 19" or so. So by the measurements, it looks like the jacket will be skin-tight.

those measurements seem about right for true to size 38" chest, but like someone said above bomber jackets look real bad when they are tight.

you sound like you're a 36" chest or a 46. so it will probably be alright.
i'd personally pass on it though, ignoring the label the design elements are a little off.

why do people keep buying TOJ leathers here? like praising black scissors...

20 years from now, when TOJ is a vague memory (or remembered as a second source of income for a guy on a forum who managed to source a small production at a local shop) that vintage rick owens leather would look just as nice as the ay you bought it

t

as far as the YKK zippers, sure they are fine, but they are also cheap.
YKK zippers are found on cheap clothing like dockers and levis.

and as a kid those jansport backpacks with the zippers that always break after about 6 months of use? Ykk sourced

so much
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads